• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Three expensive letters: NIB

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
I continue to be amazed by the enormous premiums brought by older guns that are (at least claimed to be) new in the original box. Certain collectors prize this cachet of untouched newness above all else. The latest Sako example is an AIII carbine in .270 that sold on Gunbroker for a few dollars under $2,000. Now that is a desirable specimen, but A-series guns in .270 or .30-06 are the most common of the Sako carbines. A .270 in excellent condition is, at most, a $1000-1200 gun. That puts the NIB premium over excellent at 60-100%. And a collector who has paid that kind of premium is unlikely to defile his prize by actually shooting it, as that would be a very expensive first shot. I sort of understand the mind-set, but I just can't wrap my head around the idea of paying double the going price for a gun in order to not shoot it. You have something similar in Colt single actions, where guns with an unturned cylinder bring a big premium. It really gives meaning to the expression "too valuable to shoot." Personally, I just won't pay that kind of premium for a gun that's NIB. I buy guns to shoot.

Here's a link to the .270.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/892590450

With 41 pix, there's only two reasons why those God awful weaver bases were left on. Marring from the set screws...prove me wrong.
I requested he remove the weavers to photo the top of the dovetails and he refused. He refused on other requests, could not prove gun was not shot and would not post anything to do with the barrel proving no copper fouling. Any new Sako rifle I have bought shows evidence of being shot at the factory.

Must be a lot of new uneducated Sako buyers come to the market recently or it's just another rigged GB auction. I pretty much ignore the bidding type sites like GB. At least on the sites where the owner lists a price, you can contact them with a possibility of negotiating or making an offer. Looks like it's time to be selling, not buying.

All previous comments are note worthy information for those who may not be educated yet on the world of collectible items for investments. The present market is being effected by many with deep pockets who are looking for a place to invest to protect value going forward. In the process many unwary pilgrims will be subjected to unscrupulous sellers looking for short term profit. As many of the collectors on this web site have always stated, "buyer beware".
I have always been appreciative of the valued information and help that this group of collectors have been willing to share with those who are seeking information and help before making purchases.
My sincere thanks to the folks that built and maintain this forum. Their work has improved the value and exchange of information for all Sako lovers around the world. Sakojim.

Notice that he listed "New In Box?" but just below that under the actual condition it is listed as "Used. Gunbroker only allows 3 conditions, Factory New, New Old Stock, or Used and he selected the latter so yes he is being deceptive.

Back