• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

218 bee

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Mounting as low as possible is a good idea since the comb of the old Sako L46's is pretty low and intended primarily for iron sights. Mounting higher keeps your head from resting snugly on the stock. I've used a 2.5 or 3X Weaver with the straight tube on older L46's in low original rings. This makes a nice contemporaneous blend of scope and rifle.
All true. Another advantage is that the low mounts are generally easier to find and cheaper. I've got a couple of pair that are brand new or nearly so. The disadvantage is that a small-bore rifle is made to be used on small game and it's harder to hit little critters with a lower-powered scope. This depends on your own eyesight and skill level; I have a long history of vision problems and as a result I tend to go in for higher-powered scopes than many other shooters. I love the 3x Leupold on my Model 70, but that's a .300 H&H and you're typically shooting at much larger animals with it. If you've got good eyes, a 3x does make a very nice package on a rifle like this one.

There's a variety of opinions with these L46s and appropriate scopes etc. I have several of them with and without period scopes. Myself, I like the leupold 3x9 compacts. There's no debate about the rings however. SAKO.

I think that Kahles would be a good match, as long as you are comfortable shooting a small-bore rifle with a 4x scope. It would, of course, require 26mm rings, but those can be found. I am not sure the bell would clear with low rings. If you can give me the outside diameter at the front of the scope, I could try to see how it would work as I do have a set of low rings and a similar rifle. You should also mike the tube to make sure it's a 26, but I don't know that I've ever seen a Kahles with a 1" tube.

Further to the previous comment, the early version of the Sako dovetail-mounted peep sight (period correct for your rifle) is shown below, mounted on an L46 in .222. Another photo below shows the early sight on the left, compared with the hooded, streamlined-looking later variation on the right. I believe there are actually two variations of the early style sight; perhaps someone else has photos of those.

I agree there seems to be two variations of the early style before they introduced the sloped hood style. If you study the 1950 to 1959 FI catalogs it appears as if one variation/style of peep was photographed. I assume it is the earliest variation of the early style. The size of the diopter and the height of the peephole are the differences that stand out. There may be more, but I believe they are cosmetic. The diopter is approximately 1/8" larger in diameter that the diopter on the second variation which is pictured in the FI catalogs beginning with the 1961 catalog. I've measured both variations of the early style and the peep hole on the variation with the large diopter is approximately 1/16" higher above the rifle dovetail than the second variation introduced in the 1961 catalog. The FI catalog dated 1969-1970 is the earliest I've noticed that has the sloped hood peep site pictured. The peep on your L46 222 appears to be the second variation of the early style.

I agree there seems to be two variations of the early style before they introduced the sloped hood style. If you study the 1950 to 1959 FI catalogs it appears as if one variation/style of peep was photographed. I assume it is the earliest variation of the early style. The size of the diopter and the height of the peephole are the differences that stand out. There may be more, but I believe they are cosmetic. The diopter is approximately 1/8" larger in diameter that the diopter on the second variation which is pictured in the FI catalogs beginning with the 1961 catalog. I've measured both variations of the early style and the peep hole on the variation with the large diopter is approximately 1/16" higher above the rifle dovetail than the second variation introduced in the 1961 catalog. The FI catalog dated 1969-1970 is the earliest I've noticed that has the sloped hood peep site pictured. The peep on your L46 222 appears to be the second variation of the early style.
Thanks for the detailed info. I've seen photos of the two early variations and I do agree that mine is most likely the smaller and later of the two. The earlier would be more period-correct for Vincent's gun, but those are kind of hard to find and one like mine would be close.

I have an example of the third variation, with the sloping hood, that somebody has made into a "ghost ring" sight by opening up the aperture and disabling the flip feature. Can't remember if I picked it up at a show or if it was on a gun I bought.

Would this kahles helia super 4 x 32 look alright? Would it necessitate medium or low rings?
I have several Leupold 3-9X Compacts with 33mm objective lenses mounted in low original Sako rings on L46/L461 rifles. However, it may not be the objective diameter which is your problem, but rather the occular diameter which may be too large to clear the bolt/safety on the L46. The Leupold Compact line has a smaller occular than "standard" size scopes.

Also, I've never seen a set of low original Sako rings in 26mm, although I assume they made them. They must be very scarce since the European practice was to mount scopes rather high to begin with.

Hello All,
I have two Pecar Berlin 2 3/4 X 64 with 22mm tube, and one 3 X 36 Pecar Berlin with 22mm tube. I find that these scopes perfectly complement the early L46 rifles. The 3 X 36 Pecar Berlin is shorter than the 2 3/4 X 64 and looks just perfect!
Blackjack

Here's some pics of the earliest peep variation with the large diopter. There are no less than 5 different peeps, including the one for the .22LR rifles. The second variation (non hooded) had different base thickness, which I believe occurred between the large diopter peep and the peep shown earlier in this thread. Note some of the peeps were stamped with the year made and Finnish Lion proofmark, but I've only seen this in the last variation hooded peep. Highjacking the thread here a bit, but it's all good as we celebrate the member's excellent .218 Bee find !!

DeerGoose

IMG_3384.jpg IMG_3385.jpg IMG_3386.jpg

I have several Leupold 3-9X Compacts with 33mm objective lenses mounted in low original Sako rings on L46/L461 rifles. However, it may not be the objective diameter which is your problem, but rather the occular diameter which may be too large to clear the bolt/safety on the L46. The Leupold Compact line has a smaller occular than "standard" size scopes.

This. Also the Loopy 3-9x33 EFR scopes have a small OD ocular as well, although the OD for the objective bell is a little larger due to the AO.

Marcus

This. Also the Loopy 3-9x33 EFR scopes have a small OD ocular as well, although the OD for the objective bell is a little larger due to the AO.

Marcus
marcus, i too have several of these leupold compact scopes. bit to short on the long actions ideal on the small rifles for sure. getting hard to find these days, not been made in more than a few years.
susanna

marcus, i too have several of these leupold compact scopes. bit to short on the long actions ideal on the small rifles for sure. getting hard to find these days, not been made in more than a few years.
susanna
Leupold, who for decades made the best and most practical hunting scopes, has become completely dominated by its advertising/marketing a$$h0le$. They keep dropping their best models and introducing new ones (or at least new names) in order to promote the myth that there is something better about a new name and new hype. The "Compact" line became the "Ultralight" line and was up-priced by assigning it a "II" designation. Then the Ultralight line was dropped and for a brief time similar scopes were marketed under the "Freedom" moniker. Now they have dropped all but the AO version of the 3-9X33; no more 2-7x28 or plain bell 3-9x33. And absolutely nothing in gloss finish. A$$h0le$.

Stone......

Now don't get me started..........paaaaaalease!!

Their "freedom" line??? All they've managed to do is.....ugly-up some nice scopes.

I've an idea.......they should reintroduce a "classic" line of scopes.

Yeah.....sure.

I couldn't agree more. I can't remember the last time I bought a new Leupold. My scope sources are gun shows, eBay, Gunbroker, and random stuff that arrives attached to rifles I've bought. As Stonecreek says, Leupold is jacking up prices and justifying it with un-needed features and marketing hype. Gack.

Even their Custom Shop is an afterthought now. Like icebear, I just find nice, clean used ones at gun shows or on line. Last new one I bought was a 3x that SWFA had Leupold make a run of several years ago exclusively for their store. Their Custom Shop would also make you one back then as well. Doubt that will ever happen again. Their new scopes are mainly high priced "gimmicks" masquerading as rifle scopes.

Last new one I bought was a 3x that SWFA had Leupold make a run of several years ago exclusively for their store.
The M8 3X is probably the "most missed" in the entire Leupold line. A friend has one that he doesn't have a use for (or thinks he doesn't) and asked me to sell for him. If anyone needs one, he wants $300 for it. Very nice condition gloss finish with standard Duplex reticle.
DSC00681 (1024x265).jpg

If that includes shipping, I'll take it! PM me.
All the way to Iowa!? Well, maybe just this once.:p It's a nice one -- you'll be happy. I'll probably be kicking myself that I didn't buy it from him myself when that slick little woods carbine or DGR comes along that it would have been perfect on.

Next time you're on Leupold's site, take notice that all but a couple of the half dozen good choices of reticles are gone and they must have 50 (no kidding) reticle choices that are military style. I had gone online to see if they have the custom shop open again, and I didn't see any mention of a custom shop. :(

Latest posts

Back