• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako M-N 9.3x53R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf

This is supposedly a Sako built sporter on a Mosin-Nagant receiver.
Does anyone have one or know the history of these sporters?

X1asM0L.jpg

dELw7YP.jpg

That's a cool rifle & round. Is it yours? I'm assuming that the cartridge is just the Finnish military round necked up to 9.3mm. Icebear has some Mosins, so maybe he will chime in.

A number of Finnish gunmakers, including Sako, converted Mosin-Nagant military rifles to sporting use after the war. The 9.3x53R is one of several cartridges that were developed based on the original 7.62x53R military round. As I recall there was also a 7mm and maybe an 8mm and a 6.5mm as well. Those rounds are specific to the Mosin action, which was designed around the rimmed, bottleneck military cartridge. Winchester model 95 muskets in 7.62x54R have also been converted to the 9.3mm round, and even a few Tokarev SVT-40's!

That rifle looks like it could be a Sako factory build. It would help if you could post closeup photos of all the markings on the receiver and barrel. Yours has the ring-pull safety, which was used by Sako on many of its conversions. Sako called their Mosin-based hunting rifle the "Sako Hirvikivääri" (Sako moose rifle).

I have a similar rifle in the original 7.62x53R caliber made from a Sako-built m/39 military rifle. I am uncertain as to who did the conversion, Sako or a custom builder. The scope mount, which uses Sako rings, appears to be a custom item. I am quite certain the gun was built in Finland, the only question, as with yours, is by whom.
H2.JPG

That's $430 US. I might or might not pay that if I saw it at a gun show on this side of the border. If there was some ammo with it, I probably would. That is a straight-up military conversion, not a full sporter. Interestingly, the barrel is labeled Husqvarna. I'd have expected that, in that caliber, it would have been a Finnish-made barrel. It could be that it was originally a Husqvarna barrel in 9.3x57 and rechambered in the Finnish caliber by the gunsmith who did the conversion. In any case, it's kind of an interesting item, and an artifact of a certain time and place. You have to give the Finns credit for ingenuity.

Last edited:
When I was keen on collecting guns one old policeman sold me a Moisin Nagant made at Sako Rihimäki 1944 cal 7,62x53 absolute mint condition,I guess it would have been something for collectors today. I don't remember if the name on the gun was Moisin Nagant or only Sako?

When I was keen on collecting guns one old policeman sold me a Moisin Nagant made at Sako Rihimäki 1944 cal 7,62x53 absolute mint condition,I guess it would have been something for collectors today. I don't remember if the name on the gun was Moisin Nagant or only Sako?
Was that an original military rifle or converted for hunting?

There is quite a community of collectors of Finnish military Mosin-Nagant rifles in the US. Fortunately, I bought most of mine before they became popular, as I would hesitate to pay some of the prices people are now asking for them.

Was that an original military rifle or converted for hunting?

There is quite a community of collectors of Finnish military Mosin-Nagant rifles in the US. Fortunately, I bought most of mine before they became popular, as I would hesitate to pay some of the prices people are now asking for them.

It was a military gun , as I am moving from this house I tried to give away or sell old things that I have saved for long time,I had about 5 boxes of ammo in original boxes dated 1939 and 1944 that a friend liked to have so I give them to him.

It was a military gun , as I am moving from this house I tried to give away or sell old things that I have saved for long time,I had about 5 boxes of ammo in original boxes dated 1939 and 1944 that a friend liked to have so I give them to him.
I forgot to mention why they changed calibre, it was at one time not allowed to hunt Moose with smaller calibre then 8 or 9 mm I don't know when but that was the reason they changed calibre.

I bought most of mine before they became popular, as I would hesitate to pay some of the prices people are now asking for them.

During the mid 80's, Lever Arms in Vancouver B.C. was selling very good condition hex-receiver Mosin-Nagants for $25. (Canadian) with a further discount if you bought more than three or four. However, they didn't sell all that well because he also had rows of vg cond. Swedish Mausers that you could hand select for $45 (M-96 Carl Gustaf) and $50. (M-38 Husqvarna) and most people preferred those. In the 80's I bought many Mosin-Nagants and Swedes cheap and later sold them for not much more. I am not willing to pay current prices...just can't do it. Although I can understand the Swedish Mauser now being worth something, I've never been able to get over thinking of a Mosin-Nagant as a $25. rifle.

During the mid 80's, Lever Arms in Vancouver B.C. was selling very good condition hex-receiver Mosin-Nagants for $25. (Canadian) with a further discount if you bought more than three or four. However, they didn't sell all that well because he also had rows of vg cond. Swedish Mausers that you could hand select for $45 (M-96 Carl Gustaf) and $50. (M-38 Husqvarna) and most people preferred those. In the 80's I bought many Mosin-Nagants and Swedes cheap and later sold them for not much more. I am not willing to pay current prices...just can't do it. Although I can understand the Swedish Mauser now being worth something, I've never been able to get over thinking of a Mosin-Nagant as a $25. rifle.

In Sweden you can buy the m96 military mausers for 10$ if you see them in a shop but they are limited to have only 6 guns so you don't buy them just for fun.Before it was popular to buy one and change the barrel but the action is not made for modern ammo pressure so they are not much in use anymore,the caliber 6,5x55 is popular even for Moose but if the F...EU is making us to shoot only lead free the 6,5x55 can not handle the long copper bullets and this guns no longer valid for Moose. But the Swedish Husqvarna mauser 98 with FN Mauser action (same as Sako mausers have) are very popular to make custom guns.
BR J A Larson

When my time machine is complete, I will go back to the 80's and buy-up crates of Nagants and Swedes and Turkish mausers from International Firearms in Montreal and stash'em to find now! My father bought me a New England, Westinghouse, hex-recievered model 1891 Mosin Nagant for 29.95 in 1984 as my first rifle. Now the identical gun-in poorer shape-goes for 750.00! Madness!

In Finland today the price to ask for a new gunpermit cost about 90€ that is over 100$ and lots of old Moisin nagant and old military mauser are priced under that and are not possible to sell so they are melted down, new hunters or sport shooters don't want this old djunk.
My 2 Sako Mausers are also old but they have FN civil Mauser action with Sako trigger and no Flag saifty and with modern scopes and this is my hunting guns.
I also had lots of guns at home but today I only have guns that I use and that was a relife, They are museums that take care of old guns.
BR J A Larson

I had one in 9.3X53R built by Sako on a Hex receiver.It was very accurate but had a terrible recoil due to the light weight of the Rifle and poor stock design.

They are pretty much have zero value here in Norway,I sold it but kept the paper packet from the ammunition as a memento.

I picked up a German Drilling (Greifelt & Co, Suhl) in 12x12 over 9.3x53R Finnish. It will chamber the 7.62 x 53R round so I know it of the Finnish and not Swiss variety. I picked it up for a great deal and have fired a box of shells through the shot barrels. I am waiting on neck sizing (as they had no full length) and seating dies from CH4D. I have purchased Lapua 7.62x53R Brass that I will neck up but would love some Sako properly head-stamped brass. I cannot find any in Canada. The Sako catalogue does show it is still making the 9.3x53R Finnish brass which would be amazing. If anyone know of some or any way I could get some, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Back