• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Action Unidentified Build from my Grandfather

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

TTail1994

Hello all,

I had this rifle passed down to me from my grandfather. I know he had purchased it somewhere in Connecticut, but do not know too much more about the rifle or gunsmith. I can tell that it is a L61R Sako action from the stamping... but other than the obvious, I am stumped. The fable was that it was made by someone who turned barrels after hours in the old colt plant, but we are not sure.

Even if anyone has any guesses on what the script writing says, I am all ears and will follow up on any leads. Just want to know more about it and its history. Any info on the serial number on the action is appreciated as well.

Respectfully,
T
sako3.jpg Sako2.jpg sako4.jpg

The stock looks exactly like those on the H&R Ultrarifles, but the figure is better than usually seen on them. H&R used mostly FN actions on their long action Ultrarifles, but there were a few made on the Sako L61R. My best guess (and it is only speculation) is that you have an H&R Ultrarifle with a custom barrel. Maybe you could post a photo showing the stock full length?

The stock looks exactly like those on the H&R Ultrarifles, but the figure is better than usually seen on them. H&R used mostly FN actions on their long action Ultrarifles, but there were a few made on the Sako L61R. My best guess (and it is only speculation) is that you have an H&R Ultrarifle with a custom barrel. Maybe you could post a photo showing the stock full length?

Appreciate the info! Here is a full length photo

Attachments

• Sako.jpg
    Sako.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 40
While the stock is very similar to an H&R stock it lacks the contrasting fore end tip and the color of its stain is not as red as the H&R's. Your rifle appears to be a full custom, with a custom barrel and stock on a Sako L61R action. But a very nice one, of course.

Interesting to see another serial number with an extra space between the 1 and 3. Thought my 7MM Mag with serial no. 1 3006 was an oddity.

Latest posts

Back