• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 What Did I Buy?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Dave Buffington

Hi Folks!

Earlier today, a local auctioneer offered up four -- count ‘em, four -- Finnwolfs.

Finnwolves?

Most were in very good condition, except for some very think coatings of dust. Me, knowing just enough about Sakos (Sakoes? Saki?) to be dangerous, went for the one that appeared to be the most original: Serial number 1430 in .308 and featuring a Bofors barrel.

SakoFinnwolf1430_1200.jpg

But how original is it? Is it a correct rear sight? (Please excuse the dust!) Are the sling swivels factory? All thoughts -- even negative thoughts -- are appreciated.

SakoFinnwolf1430_rearsight.jpg

Thanks!
Dave

P.S. To see the auction items and prices realized, see https://shirksauctions.hibid.com/catalog/232746/gun-auction-sept--19/

Dave congrats you did very well
The sight is a Sako 100/200 yard peep and appropiate for the gun.

The only thing I see from the one picture is you are possibly missing the front scope base but other than that looks very nice.

By the way the Finnwolf is probably the most accurate lever rifle you can own.

Last edited:

And it seems to be a very easy peep to use. For hunting in the thick woods here in Pennsylvania, the stock sights would be more than adequate.

The only thing I see from the one picture is you are possibly missing the front scope base but other than that looks very nice.

You are correct. There is no front base. But there’s no evidence there ever was one. No marks, no missing or dinged screws.

I’m eager to find out =)

Thanks!
Dave

Haven't been to one of Shirks for some time. I had to laugh at what Lot 83 brought. Remington 760 for 1150.00. My friend and I suspect the increased values on these "Amish Automatics" or "Pennsylvania Machine Guns" reflect the general discontent in our country. But seriously, for that money the buyer could have bought a Sako!

I had to laugh at what Lot 83 brought. Remington 760 for 1150.00. My friend and I suspect the increased values on these "Amish Automatics" or "Pennsylvania Machine Guns" reflect the general discontent in our country. But seriously, for that money the buyer could have bought a Sako!

Your theory makes as much sense as any. I have seen 760s go for big money, but only in NIB condition and only in odd calibers. Go figure.

BTW ... I've run into a problem with my new purchase. The magazine doesn't want to latch securely into the action. Is this "coffin" magazine correct for the gun? Or do I need the other ("flat"?) style?

Thanks!
Dave

[QUOTE="... I've run into a problem with my new purchase. The magazine doesn't want to latch securely into the action. Is this "coffin" magazine correct for the gun? Or do I need the other ("flat"?) style?

Thanks!
Dave[/QUOTE]

With a serial number of 1430, it should have the 4 shot coffin (some call it the round-bottom) magazine. Also, your stock doesn't have a grip cap which is correct. My eyes are bad and I'm not certain but the magazine looks like the correct coffin type. Someone with better eyes can confirm, and don't try to force it until you can confirm it's a 4 shot. Forcing a three shot can do damage to the stock and possibly the box. Did you notice how close your serial number is to two of the others (1428 and 1432). And it's marked "Bofors" and those are hard to come by. Nice rifle. You'll enjoy it.

P1200446~3.JPG View attachment 20155 Dave as stated based on the serial number your gun would be the earlier 4 shot model which uses the 4 shot coffin or casket style magazine. In looking at the picture you definitely have a 4 shot magazine. Compare your stock mag opening to the attached picture, if it matches then you have a 4 shot version stock. The next step will be to remove your stock and then re-seat it to insure it is properly installed.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Should have asked also are you having issues with the mag empty or with shells in it, also is action closed or open Just to clarify

Should have asked also are you having issues with the mag empty or with shells in it, also is action closed or open Just to clarify

Hi Marlin!

Thanks! And yes, I definitely have the four-shot coffin magazine, and I definitely have the same stock as shown in your photo. Now, to thicken the plot ... I took the gun to my favorite gunsmith, Reesers Gunsmithing, and one of the smiths there say, "Hey, I have a couple of Finnwolfs at home."

So yesterday he brought them to the shop ... one with the coffin magazine and one with the three-shot "flat" magazine.

As expected, the flat magazine doesn't fit in my gun. But as unexpected, _his_ coffin magazine fits perfectly in my gun while _my_ coffin magazine does not.

The shop was packed yesterday, and so, we didn't have time to study the two seemingly identical mags to find the difference. We'll do that later. But do any of you good folks care to speculate?

Thanks!
Dave

Dave did you try opening the bolt and inserting the mag? It sounds like the lips of the mag need adjusted since the other mag fit fine. But your smith should be able to figure it out.

By the way if your smith finds any other issue requiring parts I can likely assist.

Last edited:

WHERE CAN I FIND A 243 FINNWOLF TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE CAN I FIND A 243 FINNWOLF TO BUY

Dave did you try opening the bolt and inserting the mag? It sounds like the lips of the mag need adjusted since the other mag fit fine. But your smith should be able to figure it out.

In what was an embarrassing "Doh!" moment, my smith looked at the mag, tapped on the bottom plate to move it less than a millimeter, and suddenly, it worked perfectly. Thanks to all for all your help!

Oh, and Dan ... sorry, I have no idea where to find a Finnwolf in .243.

Enjoy!
Dave

Last edited:
DOES HE HAVE ANY MORE FINNWOLF RIFLES FOR SALE?? CALL DAN 586-295-9412
Rodger Bell @ sakosource.com has a matched pair in 243 & 308 made for the Sako Collectors Association, new with boxes & papers. Just click on the ad box in the upper right of this page. It alternates with the Classic Arms Journal ad.

Back