• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Green Paint Question

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi guys! This is my first post and I am amped to see a forum such as this one exists! Great to be here! Just bought my first Sako TRG which I waited patiently 12 years to get. All my cash saved back in the day went to a ring, so you know how it easy it was to just go get a TRG after that happened. LOL! So anyhow, I picked up a brand new TRG 22 in 6.5 Creedmoor with the Tan stock last month. My original want from back in the day was the Sako Green version. I have been debating on whether to repaint the stock as it just tears into factory integrity. But I have been looking at using Duracoat for it. Does anyone have any experience on how these finishes hold up on the TRG stocks? The last thing I want to do is ruin this long awaited top shelf rifle. I am an automotive painter by trade so prep and painting is easy for me, but I just don't have experience with using Duracoat, or painting firearms. Got a couple pics of my rifle posted as well. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1390-1.jpg
    IMG_1390-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 33
Check out Brownell's. They have multiple type coatings specific to firearms. Aluma-Hyde II in an aerosol can is the one I have used. It's an epoxy based paint that withstands about any bore cleaner or solvent ever invented & is very durable. Comes in 12 colors & clear. Their O.D. Green may be what you are looking for. Shake the bejesus out of it before & during use & buy the extra spray & clean-out tips. Pre-heat stock with a hair dryer & blow hot air on it between coats for a few minutes. Apply about 4 very light coats and let cure at room temp for two weeks. It will cure in a few days at 100 degrees with air circulation. Don't let it dry between coats, as then you will have to wait till it is fully cured to apply another coat. I apply a clear coat over the colored coats. Whether that is beneficial or not I can't prove, but I feel it gives added protection against scratches. They also sell it in liquid form & a solvent/thinner for it, if you prefer to use your own spray equipment, in limited colors. Luckily, O.D. Green is one of them.

Hi guys! This is my first post and I am amped to see a forum such as this one exists! Great to be here! Just bought my first Sako TRG which I waited patiently 12 years to get. All my cash saved back in the day went to a ring, so you know how it easy it was to just go get a TRG after that happened. LOL! So anyhow, I picked up a brand new TRG 22 in 6.5 Creedmoor with the Tan stock last month. My original want from back in the day was the Sako Green version. I have been debating on whether to repaint the stock as it just tears into factory integrity. But I have been looking at using Duracoat for it. Does anyone have any experience on how these finishes hold up on the TRG stocks? The last thing I want to do is ruin this long awaited top shelf rifle. I am an automotive painter by trade so prep and painting is easy for me, but I just don't have experience with using Duracoat, or painting firearms. Got a couple pics of my rifle posted as well. Thanks for the help!
I am a custom painter, dealing with automotive, ceracoat, and duracote finishes. Duracote is no more durable than your high quality automotive finish.

Last edited:
Interesting. I am using Envirobase but for the clear I will be using Deltron's satin finish. Never thought to use the hardener in the basecoat. Have you done this with Envirobase?
Use T493 5% by volume. No more. It will help with durability. The weakest link in any basecoat/clearcoat system is the bond between the two. Therefore, adding the T493 will help crosslink the two.

I love the detail and contrasts of your work James, but do you have an example to show us that is something not quite so gruesome in inspiration? Sakojim.

As you probably can see the original paint isn't the most durable/thick layer of paint.

If it was my rifle I would aim for a simple no top coat matte finish.

I can not help you with a colour code, but it is called "moss green".

Latest posts

Back