• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Flaigs 300 Weatherby

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Having issues with inconsistent primer ignition. Firing pin protrusion seems right on. Pulled apart bolt ,cleaned reassembled. Same problem. It seems like possibly a weak spring. Cold it will fire two rounds. Then just a tiny indention into primer. Pretty sketchy opening bolt on a 300.
Any suggestions? I would almost rather send it to a sako expert. Factory Hornaday ammo. L61r

Last edited:
Without a hands on examination it is difficult, if not impossible, to determine the problem. Sakos don't require a "Sako expert" to fix. Any competent gunsmith should be able to remedy the issue. Good Luck!

Just a thought on why something like this happens. Too often rifles are stored for periods of time (long or short) with the bolt cocked. Over time this weakens the bolt spring and contributes to frequent lite strikes. Rule of thumb should be to discharge the bolt to relieve the spring tension on the firing pin.

rick

Just a thought on why something like this happens. Too often rifles are stored for periods of time (long or short) with the bolt cocked. Over time this weakens the bolt spring and contributes to frequent lite strikes. Rule of thumb should be to discharge the bolt to relieve the spring tension on the firing pin.

rick
Thanks, I checked firing pin protrusion and it was. 068 ,which should be plenty. And I'm pretty sure that it is a late 60s gun. Think I read on a post that Wolff makes a spring. That's my next course of action.

It is possible that the headspace is too generous which will often result in misfires. And, are you shooting factory or reloaded rounds? On a belted magnum it theoretically wouldn't matter, but if the chamber's belt recess is cut too deep then you could experience such a problem.

It is possible that the headspace is too generous which will often result in misfires. And, are you shooting factory or reloaded rounds? On a belted magnum it theoretically wouldn't matter, but if the chamber's belt recess is cut too deep then you could experience such a problem.
Shooting factory Hornaday 180grain Custom ammo. Not sure how to check headspace on this action. Firing pin springs are cheap, and I can change them. Wolff has a 34-38 pound, factory is approximatly 30. Think I'll order one of each. Thanks for the info.

There could be a problem with the spring, but I've never seen it on a Sako. Sako springs are pretty much forever.

Most gunsmiths will have a "no go" gauge for belted magnums. If the bolt closes on a no go gauge then you can put a spring from a Mack truck in the bolt and you still won't have dependable ignition -- just a heavy bolt lift.

There could be a problem with the spring, but I've never seen it on a Sako. Sako springs are pretty much forever.

Most gunsmiths will have a "no go" gauge for belted magnums. If the bolt closes on a no go gauge then you can put a spring from a Mack truck in the bolt and you still won't have dependable ignition -- just a heavy bolt lift.
OK, that helps some. But 300weatherby isn't like a 30-06. And I'm betting that there's not a Gage in 300 miles of me. Thanks for the input. Since it is not a sako barrel thus is a high possibility. Thanks again

A no-go gauge for all belted magnums (7mm Rem, .300 Win, .270 WBY) is the same. It only measures the space from the bolt face to the end of the belt recess. Nearly any smith who does barrel work should have one.

A no-go gauge for all belted magnums (7mm Rem, .300 Win, .270 WBY) is the same. It only measures the space from the bolt face to the end of the belt recess. Nearly any smith who does barrel work should have one.
OK, now that makes sense. I also have a 257 weatherby vanguard. Wonder if I could compare fired brass side by side. There is a gunsmith in town that probably has one then. Really thank you for that info. I also have a Speer Reloading manual that will give me the dimensions. I have mikes and digital calipers. I'll call him manana. appreciate the info.

I also have a 257 weatherby vanguard. Wonder if I could compare fired brass side by side.
That wouldn't do any good. The dimension that is important is in the chamber of your Flaig's rifle and it is the recess for the belt. That dimension doesn't change when the case is fired.

That wouldn't do any good. The dimension that is important is in the chamber of your Flaig's rifle and it is the recess for the belt. That dimension doesn't change when the case is fired.
So I researched 6-8 different sources, Hornady, Forester, Williams, etcetc. Some say belt some say shoulder. I'm gonna call the Smith and see if he has a Gage and how much he will charge me.
I can get a field Gage for less than 40bucks. I already have an arm and a leg in this gun and it's not really much fun to shoot. But I don't want to sell it to someone not working properly. It's like that good looking girl left at the bar late, just leave her there, you won't regret it in the morning.

So I researched 6-8 different sources, Hornady, Forester, Williams, etcetc. Some say belt some say shoulder. I'm gonna call the Smith and see if he has a Gage and how much he will charge me.
I can get a field Gage for less than 40bucks. I already have an arm and a leg in this gun and it's not really much fun to shoot. But I don't want to sell it to someone not working properly. It's like that good looking girl left at the bar late, just leave her there, you won't regret it in the morning.
It's a beautiful gun and has been fired very little. I've got 300+ factory Hornaday rounds, wish someone would just make me an offer for it.

Attachments

• IMAG2478.jpg
    IMAG2478.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG2479.jpg
    IMAG2479.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG2480.jpg
    IMAG2480.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 17
Put a .004" brass shim on the back face of your case head. Just a tiny drop of Crazy Glue will hold it there. If you can close the bolt with the shim between the bolt face & the case head either your headspace is too big or the belt on the case is too short. Measure the belt to determine which. Could be a combination of the two. Belted cases are worthless on a case with a shoulder angle greater than 25 degrees, IMHO & you could be experiencing just one of their maladies. Good luck!

Mr. Carter........

Two things I would try.......

First......check firing pin spring strength. Remove bolt and de-cock. Place bathroom scales on bench, and press firing pin protrusion onto a small nylon bolt head(or other strong/deformable material). A bit of practice, but you can feel the firing pin move and see the scale pound reading.....at the same time.

Second.....remove firing pin assembly from the bolt. Cut a fired case in half, and chamber the rear half.......feeling the bolt closing force. Now place one thickness of scotch tape(about 0.004") on the casehead rear, and carefully chamber......should feel slight resistance.

One more thing.......

If the above is ok or not...........then compare the shoulder to casehead "headspace" of a fired case to an unfired loaded round.

Use of the above information should help solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

edit: Looks like Hawkeye beat me by 3 minutes. :)

Put a .004" brass shim on the back face of your case head. Just a tiny drop of Crazy Glue will hold it there. If you can close the bolt with the shim between the bolt face & the case head either your headspace is too big or the belt on the case is too short. Measure the belt to determine which. Could be a combination of the two. Belted cases are worthless on a case with a shoulder angle greater than 25 degrees, IMHO & you could be experiencing just one of their maladies. Good luck!
OK. This sounds easy enough. I have a feeler Gage set that I can trim a piece off of. Thanks

OK. This sounds easy enough. I have a feeler Gage set that I can trim a piece off of. Thanks
Head space is. 003-.006. It's got to be the spring. Ordered both the 34# and 38#. It's hard as hell to cock anyways. I'm going to measure all springs for length and pressure before I reassemble bolt. Glad this is the only Sako that I own. FNs are waaay better.

Head space is. 003-.006. It's got to be the spring. Ordered both the 34# and 38#. It's hard as hell to cock anyways. I'm going to measure all springs for length and pressure before I reassemble bolt. Glad this is the only Sako that I own. FNs are waaay better.
And there has never been a FN action that ever had a mechanical issue? You came here for help & advice & revealed your very limited knowledge about bolt action rifles by the questions you asked. Then proceeded to tell us that FN's are WAY better than Sakos. I didn't see a single "Thank You" in any of your post! Bye! BTW, your rifle is not a factory Sako, but a custom rifle built by "who knows" so, who do you blame for it having "problems".

Back