• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R stock refinish

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Robert J

Recently I have acquired an L61R in 25-06 from the original owner . He was a hunter and the rifle has been hunted. There are bumps , scrapes and gouges in various spots but the worst is just below the forward sling swivel. When I first saw the gun there was a sling with a protruding attachment that corresponds to the damage , obviously from from that sling attachment. Thinking about refinishing the stock but the finish on it is very solid and hard . Question : Does anyone know what type of finish was used on these stocks ? OR is there a product that can be applied over the damage like a Varathane or Diamond Kote ?

If your not big into wood refinishing then small bumps in Sako glossy finishes can be hidden fairly successfully with Birchwood Casey TruOil. Just dab a bit on the finger tip and spread thinly. But it sounds like from the condition of the stock you describe that it needs more serious attention (if you want it to look really nice.) Probably nothing short of a professional refinish would be useful. There are several good wood finishing guys on this board who can kick in with more professional advice.

Frankly and honestly, there’s no product or method to go over a gloss Sako finish and expect an acceptable result. I don’t know what products Sako used but some of the older finishes strip rather easily, while others take much more work. Typically in my experience later models have a very hard poly urethane ish quality. If you feel the rifle is unacceptable as is ,then a complete refinish would be in order in my opinion. If you attempt some type of cover coat you’ll end up with a mess.

Sometimes leaving well enough alone is best depending on the severity of the bumps and scuffs. Because it’s a .25-06 you most likely will do a disservice by covering or refinishing it. My point is .25-06 Sako rifles are somewhat sought after. Not that its a collector, based on you description, but the value could be affected negatively if you try something and it turns out bad.

A few photos would be helpful.

In my experience, leave it be, or completely refinish it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
DSC04516.JPG DSC04518.JPG DSC04520.JPG DSC04516.JPG DSC04518.JPG DSC04520.JPG DSC04522.JPG DSC04523.JPG DSC04524.JPG DSC04516.JPG
Frankly and honestly, there’s no product or method to go over a gloss Sako finish and expect an acceptable result. I don’t know what products Sako used but some of the older finishes strip rather easily, while others take much more work. Typically in my experience later models have a very hard poly urethane ish quality. If you feel the rifle is unacceptable as is then a complete refinish would be in order, in my opinion. If you attempt some type of cover coat you’ll end up with a mess.

Sometimes leaving well enough alone is best depending on the severity of the bumps and scuffs. Because it’s a .25-06 you most likely will do a disservice by covering or refinishing it. My point is .25-06 Sako rifles are somewhat sought after. Not that its a collector, based on you description, but the value could be affected negatively if you try something and it turns out bad.

A few photos would be helpful.

In my experience, leave it be, or completely refinish it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC04525.JPG
    DSC04525.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04526.JPG
    DSC04526.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04527.JPG
    DSC04527.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 99
I have posted a number of photos , Are they not visable ? I am practiced in stock refinishing but this seems similar to a Browning finish which was very tough to do work with. I am in a conundrum and may just leave it alone and use as is .....BUT it is such a beautiful rifle and the wood ...

Appreciate the photos. If it were mine I would not do anything to alter it. It a nice older Deluxe with some obvious character wear. .25-06 in a Deluxe rifle is a good one to have for sure. Even with the rubs and bumps it’s value could be seriously affected if altered.

Appreciate the photos. If it were mine I would not do anything to alter it. It a nice older Deluxe with some obvious character wear. .25-06 in a Deluxe rifle is a good one to have for sure. Even with the rubs and bumps it’s value could be seriously affected if altered.
Yup.

Very nice hunting rifle. Enjoy sitting around the campfire listening to its stories.
I would bet the stock has had a recent re-spray. The darkness of the scratches indicates (to me anyway) new finish having crept under the original. Also, some of the scratches are glossy, signaling a re-coat. The finish absent from the heads of the cross bolts also suggests some aggressive sanding having occurred. The rather blended colors of the rosewood grip cap showing sand-throughs is another flag of suspicion.
Leave it and love it or restore at this juncture will not raise its value as others have posted. Full strip-to-the-wood restoration or nothing. Anything between the 2 will result in frustration.
Luck,
Stephen

Strip with citri -orange After wiping with acetone. Sand stock 150 grit then apply stripper. (3) times then with 3M scotch brite Scrub with Dawn dish soap. Rinse thoroughly!

I think it’s blemishes make it real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back