• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Deluxe Special 222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Rocky

In another thread there is talk about the round top receivers that Sako or Colt might have made. This one I assume was left over parts from the Coltsman rifles that is stamped on the top of the barrel Sako Deluxe Special. I pretty sure that this would of been put together at the Sako factory, and not by Colt here in the US. If I'm correct then the round top receivers were made in Finland and not a Colt factory job by removing the dovetails. The round receiver on top of this rifle is in the matte finish though it's hard to tell from the photo's.

If someone has different thoughts on the Sako round top receivers, speak up.

P1017146.JPG P1017148.JPG P1017149.JPG P1017153.JPG P1017155.JPG P1017156.JPG P1017157.JPG P1017158.JPG P1017163.JPG P1017161.JPG P1017164.JPG

I agree with your analysis. Was "Deluxe Special" marked on the box only? Did you put the two windage adjustable bases on or did you get it that way. I like that idea!! The engraving on the magazine & trigger guard look alot like they may have started to engrave it for Colt, then stopped. What say you??

I agree with your analysis. Was "Deluxe Special" marked on the box only? Did you put the two windage adjustable bases on or did you get it that way. I like that idea!! The engraving on the magazine & trigger guard look alot like they may have started to engrave it for Colt, then stopped. What say you??

Glad you noticed those bases. This idea could maybe come in real handy for a full faced shooter using a rifle with a cheek piece. More or less it can accomplish what a rifle stock with a cast-off stock - Sako Classic as an example - does.

I got this rifle on an auction so it didn't come with the box. Sure would of been great if it did so. When I picked this rifle up I wasn't sure what scope mounts to use so I called Leupold and this is what they suggested that I use.

I'm not sure Paul on the floor plate.

I don't believe that I ran the serial number through the Sako records to see what it comes up as.

With all due respect.......I don't believe that these "windage-adjustable" bases are meant to absorb any meaningful recoil. Both Leupold and Redfield have always needed a front base, which incorporates a turned-in D-lug.

Also.....it seems as though the bolt handle may hit the rear base when raised.

What do you guys think??

kevinlg, it just must be the way the photo appears. The bolt handle clears easily.

Meaningful recoil may indeed be a problem. But a triple deuce surely won't shake that scope loose. Interesting topic these mounts on this rifle. Never seen it done.

Very slick looking rifle, Rocky!

We've seen a very limited number of these Sako "Deluxe Specials". They appear to have been originally made for Colt, but were "overruns" or otherwise exceeded the number that Colt ordered or would accept. Sako apparently removed any marks specific to Colt (like the rampant Colt figure) and then marketed them as "Sako Deluxe Special". This serial number is marked "Colt" in the inspection records.

Fascinating- what a neat rifle! I wish something like that would turn up around here. The shape of the forend is especially graceful; I'm going to keep that in mind for a stock I'm doing on a Fajen blank. I love the two-leaf express sight; to me it cries out for some kind of QD scope setup to allow the iron sights to be used. I vaguely recall seeing a Colt-made mount for the Coltsman with detachable rings, but my memory could be defective. It might be difficult to find bases that would fit the gun for a QD setup, but it might reward the effort.

Anyway, I'm envious! ;)

Back