• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Holland & Holland's SAKO rifles

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Stan the Gun man

I know for a fact that H&H did make a few rifles on Sako's. I wonder if any one here has one, or as pictures of H&H collaborations.

The H&H records show that they were all taken to the shooting grounds, shot and checked, then were sent back to be reworked if they didn't shoot properly(When did that ever happen with a Sako, right? ;) ). Not all seem to have been restocked by H&H, or more likely made from barrelled actions, so there's a mix. The Husqvarnas I've seen do seem to all have been restocked, but only half of the Sakos I've seen appear to have been. They started with FFV Husqvarnas in the late 60s, then when FFV stopped making sporting rifles around 1972 they switched to Sako. The Husqvarnas were numbered on the trigger guards from 01 upwards to around 099, with Sakos being numbered up to above 400. I don't think they re-blued them.

I found a Sako made H&H for sale in Denmark at Hunters House if anyone is interested.
https://huntershouse.dk/kat120-Detaljer/side742-Holland-Holland.html

I know for a fact that H&H did make a few rifles on Sako's.
The H&H Sakos are an interesting and scarce animal.

I don't think it is accurate to say that H&H "made" rifles on Sako actions, but rather they "marketed" rifles made by Sako. So far as I can determine, the complete rifle was made by Sako.

H&H stamped (or had stamped ) "shot and regulated by H&H" on them. As far as being "regulated", with a single-barrel rifle that could only mean that they sighted in the open sights. And as far as accuracy, they wouldn't be able to verify accuracy beyond the capability of open sights, so it is highly unlikely that they ever rejected or had reworked anything coming from Sako.

The model is rather plain with a matte-finished stock, but with fairly pleasing classic line with a mild Monte Carlo. There was one in the last few months offered on Gunbroker in the U.S. on which the asking price was similar to the one in Denmark. Obviously, the price is based more on the H&H name than on the intrinsic value of the Sako it is stamped on.

Wow. Sure far different from any H&H rifle I've ever seen! And the price--about $2440 USD. About as plain a piece of walnut as you'll encounter, albeit with perhaps more generous checkering patterns. Said to have a red deer head engraved on the floorplate, along with the initials B.D.S., so I guess those features would be legitimate H&H additions.

The ad says "It really meant something to add a name for Holland & Holland, so the...gear really should be up to the best standard" (Google translation). I find this a little sad to see from a once-great gunmaker.

I see what you mean, and I kind of agree, but! If you are the maker of high quality rifles, to an increasing expense, for a tiny and shrinking group of wealthy customers then you need to create profit somehow. And as far as I know H&H have always bought parts from other makers, and yeas I know its a huge differance to just slapping your brand name to a rifle some one else made entirely. But, as I see this from a Sako nerds perspective, I see this a bit differently. To me its a Sako thing, and perhaps even a tribute to Sako, after all. The Sako was good enough to save the house of Holland & Holland and worthy of their approval, in all its plain simplicity!

Says quite a lot of Sako's products wouldn't you say? ;)

Last edited:
Stan, I agree that the H&H brand on the rifle is something of a complement to Sako. I would also say that for a couple of hundred dollars or so H&H could have specified upgraded wood and a deep, hand-rubbed oil finish. That would have more than paid for itself in sales to people interested in high-grade firearms and the panache of the H&H name.

Stan, I agree that the H&H brand on the rifle is something of a complement to Sako. I would also say that for a couple of hundred dollars or so H&H could have specified upgraded wood and a deep, hand-rubbed oil finish. That would have more than paid for itself in sales to people interested in high-grade firearms and the panache of the H&H name.

Indeed! I know that they did so for the early FFV CG 1900 rifles, don't know if they did the same for the Sako's but I totally agree with you that it would have been to H&Hs advantage to do so. Would be nice to find more pics of H&H Sakos and perhaps find some more info on the rifles and if any variations were made.

Would be nice to find more pics of H&H Sakos
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879501844 Here's one for sale currently on Gunbroker. Looks very similar to the one for sale in Denmark, but apparently was owned by a shooter who was long-of-arm due to the very thick added pad and spacers.

This one has been offered over a period of several months with no takers, so it is pretty clear that the market doesn't value it as highly as the seller does.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879501844 Here's one for sale currently on Gunbroker. Looks very similar to the one for sale in Denmark, but apparently was owned by a shooter who was long-of-arm due to the very thick added pad and spacers.

This one has been offered over a period of several months with no takers, so it is pretty clear that the market doesn't value it as highly as the seller does.

I guess the average Sako user is perhaps more of a utilitarian rather than the Tweed clad gentleman gentleman that has also has a bespoke Safari Jacket in his closet and usually is the type that frequents No 13 Bruton street. ;) (No there is nothing wrong with having a bespoke Safari jacket, I just can't afford one myself. So I had to get mine from Orvis. )

South Pender: I hope they did, cause those aluminium bottoms on the CG 1900's are down right awful! One of the first things I would have if it would have been up to me.

Last edited:
I guess the average Sako user is perhaps more of a utilitarian rather than the Tweed clad gentleman gentleman that has also has a bespoke Safari Jacket in his closet and usually is the type that frequents No 13 Brutton street. ;) (No there is nothing wrong with having a bespoke Safari jacket, I just can't afford one myself. So I had to get mine from Orvis. )

Heh... Orvis prices pretty much represent my "bespoke" limit. I can sometimes afford our local Cabela's/Bass Pro prices, though. :)

-Chris

Latest posts

Back