• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

MOST ACCURATE SAKO? M579 SM-SUPER MATCH.308

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Spaher

Sako M579 SM 5.JPG Sako M579 SM 4.jpg

In my limited experience, there is no more accurate rifle that the SAKO M579 SM.
Not the Rem. M-24, nor any other models that I have shot at 100-500 meters. Optics being a factor for precise repeat shooting at longer distances. At 100-200M, the Sako .17 rem matches a tight/same hole pattern, but this .308 is head shaking accurate for anyone. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
That's no suprise, I was playing with my 308 L579, loaded 5 and one in the pipe. Standard stock. Using the sling as a brace in the standing position took 3 quick shots at 100 followed by 3 quick shots leaning against the side of my ute door. Had an inch/inch and a half group. I was pretty blown away. Not bad for a peep. I'm no crack shot. I can't wait to put a scope on here and see what she's capable of.

Nice rifle Rene.

That's no suprise, I was playing with my 308 L579, loaded 5 and one in the pipe. Standard stock. Using the sling as a brace in the standing position took 3 quick shots at 100 followed by 3 quick shots leaning against the side of my ute door. Had an inch/inch and a half group. I was pretty blown away. Not bad for a peep. I'm no crack shot.

Shooting like that, you should approach the Olympic committee.

Nice rifle. I think that this rifle is called Sako Target not L579 SM. L579 SM has different style stock and action ( action of SM is similar to Sako trg with very tight ejection port).

SSR MK1, Thank you for the correction and truly appreciated. I joined this site to learn and this has been immediately fruitful as I had been unable to identify this rifle purchased many years ago from a want ad for $450. and relied on a process of elimination based on the Numbering and Changes of Sako rifles chart. I accept and welcome corrections gladly and removing misconceptions.
As to Rogan's comment, I agree that accuracy is "all rifle" not a person's prowess. Factors like match grade ammo, ambient temperature, still wind, eliminating mirage, barrel temperature & a solid shooting platform all contribute to proving barrel and trigger quality. I.e., on a misty morning a .17 Rem at 4,000'+fps will on occasion fall apart before reaching the target and you could end up with several additional holes on your paper target. This Sako Target rifle has the heaviest barrel diameter of any production rifle that I am aware of (heavier than the Varmint versions) and in my opinion Sako outdid themselves on this rifle.

Sako Target rifles are great rifles. The barrels are specially selected. Yours rifle has the best stainless steel barrel (special order from factory). I have also Sako Target single shot 6 mm ppc usa with similar stainless steel barrel. Very accurate to 300 m. 20190222_190243.jpg 20190222_190243.jpg

Sako Target rifles are great rifles. The barrels are specially selected. Yours rifle has the best stainless steel barrel (special order from factory). I have also Sako Target single shot 6 mm ppc usa with similar stainless steel barrel. Very accurate to 300 m. View attachment 19530 View attachment 19530
It would be nice to have one of these for crop protection but couldn't justify slowly destroying such a beautiful barrel for the sake of accuracy. It burdens me to even imagine rebarreling an old sako.

What a nice and rare Sako -- and a super-nice gun room, Rene! Those racks are spaced out so that no gun ever has to bump into another. No "safe rash" here!

What a nice and rare Sako -- and a super-nice gun room, Rene! Those racks are spaced out so that no gun ever has to bump into another. No "safe rash" here!

Stonecreek, thank you. I built these racks to avoid "safe rash", try to even pressure on the butt pads as well as being able to enjoy a side profile of each gun and avoid any incidental bumping that might cause one to slip or fall.
Dimensions: Barrel insert 4" deep at a 45 degree angle; 1" cutout for rifles and consider wider for shotguns (S/S); the exposed distance between barrel inserts is 4" with a bottom lip and cut suede to cover the entire area exposed to barrels as well as the base. The spacing allows for any large scope objectives. I keep the humidity at 50% with a floor de-humidifier and temp at 72F to avoid any issues.

Attachments

• Sako Rack 2.jpg
    Sako Rack 2.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 35
I recently bought an extra large safe from which I removed the crowded factory racks. I built some new racks of my own design made from oak dimension lumber. The new racks cut the "stated" (theoretical) capacity of the safe by about 25%, but let me get guns in and out without so much banging into one another. Not nearly as nice as Rene's gun room, but helpful in keeping guns in nice condition.

Rene, You have the most thought out gun room that I have seen. Thanks for sharing. It gives me ideas. Wayne

An
I recently bought an extra large safe from which I removed the crowded factory racks. I built some new racks of my own design made from oak dimension lumber. The new racks cut the "stated" (theoretical) capacity of the safe by about 25%, but let me get guns in and out without so much banging into one another. Not nearly as nice as Rene's gun room, but helpful in keeping guns in nice condition.
Any pics? I'm trying to figure that out atm. I've been thinking of laying them down on a rack in a safe laid in it's back.

Back