• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako New member, old Finnbear L61R 30-06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello, new member here looking for information on a Sako L61R Finnbear chambered for 30-06, S/N 21964. I purchased this rifle some years ago from a coworker (USAF retired) for $100.00 USD, and was hoping to close in on the date of manufacture and fair market value. Thanks in advance for your time!
  • Rifle is in overall good shape, bluing in great shape with no corrosion/scratches, stock shows some normal wear/marks from hunting. Previous (original) owner used the rifle for a few deer seasons during the 1960's and maybe into the early 1970's. I have shot the rifle a few times, shoots well and functions correctly, but have not dialed-in a load for the rifle (yet).
  • S/N 21964
  • Chambered for 30-06.
  • Includes Bofors Steel stamp.
  • Does not include importer stamp.
  • Includes fine checkering on top of receiver at scope mounting area.
  • No information whether rifle was purchased stateside or overseas, but previous owner was stationed around the globe.
  • Previous owner mounted an early model Redfield 3x9 scope (made in Denver CO.).
Thanks,
Brian

Photos of S/N21964.

Attachments

• IMG_5976.JPG
    IMG_5976.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5978.JPG
    IMG_5978.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5979.jpg
    IMG_5979.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5981.jpg
    IMG_5981.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5983.jpg
    IMG_5983.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 108
Brian,

Something seems amiss with the bottom-metal.

It looks to be bent downward.......as is usually the case, when the internal magazine box is not fully seated into the action or top of the triggerguard/bottom-metal.

Dis-assembly of barrelled action from the stock is usually required.......along with straightening of the bottom-metal.

Hope this helps.

As your serial number is within the range the club has factory records for, just click on "Factory Records Service" @ the top of this page & request the info. Import stamps were not required prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, which was signed into law in October of that year. Bofors barrel indicates it was made prior to 1969 or so, but the serial number tells me much earlier. Military personnel could bring back firearms as well back then. You have the original Sako ringmounts, which is very nice. Nice hunting rifle in a classic caliber that should serve you well. Like kevinig mentioned, looks like the bottom metal could have been incorrectly installed or have some other problem. Definitely check that out before shooting again. Value depends on a host of factors & is not simple, but perusing the gun auction sites for the actual selling prices will give you some comparables. Suffice it to say yours is more a "shooter " than a "collectible". Gathering info here will also help you answer questions as well.

Brian,

Something seems amiss with the bottom-metal.

It looks to be bent downward.......as is usually the case, when the internal magazine box is not fully seated into the action or top of the triggerguard/bottom-metal.

Dis-assembly of barrelled action from the stock is usually required.......along with straightening of the bottom-metal.

Hope this helps.

Corrected. Thanks!

Hi Brian,
My son has a Finbear 30/06 & our friend hand loaded some 125 gr. NOSLER BALISTIC TIP,(IMR 4350) @3,000 fps that shoot well in a- 1 in 10 twist. My AV likes them as well. He also loaded some 180 gr. don't know the load specs on that one. For some reason both our rifles do not like the 150 gr. projectiles. Sadly our friend passed away last week Covid -19. Best of luck with a fine rifle, try a high shoulder shot works well on deer & antalope.

Front sight but no rear sight. Hmm. I guess you will need the aperture if you want to go scopeless. Nice rifle. I like it’s lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back