• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Forester .308

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi,

New to the forum! Looking to get some information on a rifle left to me by my dad. I found a thread talking about the marking on the handle being more unique. Curious to see if that’s what I have as well. Would love any information you can share with me. See attached picture please!

kelly

Attachments

• 168BEE76-138B-48AD-986A-09B7F84A6503.jpeg
    168BEE76-138B-48AD-986A-09B7F84A6503.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 89B90EBE-8651-4CFC-BC1E-08C2FC26E10E.jpeg
    89B90EBE-8651-4CFC-BC1E-08C2FC26E10E.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 34
You'll have to do a little better with photos if you want to know any details. From the one photo of the rifle its checkering pattern appears to be that in use from the late 1950's through late 1960's. The magazine release is from the latter part of that period. You can click on "Factory Records Service" on the banner at the top of this page, and if its serial number is within the range listed there you can order information from the factory records on when it was made and where it was originally shipped.

That is like taking a picture of my truck hood and one of the tires and then asking what it is worth. Just assume it is in mint condition........not.

You'll have to do a little better with photos if you want to know any details. From the one photo of the rifle its checkering pattern appears to be that in use from the late 1950's through late 1960's. The magazine release is from the latter part of that period. You can click on "Factory Records Service" on the banner at the top of this page, and if its serial number is within the range listed there you can order information from the factory records on when it was made and where it was originally shipped.

Attachments

• C0116E1E-27B4-41B7-806E-9691A3113DC8.jpeg
    C0116E1E-27B4-41B7-806E-9691A3113DC8.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 317112D5-A228-4FE2-9931-A817596AB12B.jpeg
    317112D5-A228-4FE2-9931-A817596AB12B.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 471425BB-FF83-46D2-B4FF-42A89FC9B277.jpeg
    471425BB-FF83-46D2-B4FF-42A89FC9B277.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 66200D95-2C16-4F5C-B958-331069292B27.jpeg
    66200D95-2C16-4F5C-B958-331069292B27.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 17C67218-E588-495B-8996-A44F7AA479EF.jpeg
    17C67218-E588-495B-8996-A44F7AA479EF.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0514C480-44B0-41F7-B167-383C18E49D6B.jpeg
    0514C480-44B0-41F7-B167-383C18E49D6B.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 32
Ok posted more pictures!

Your pics don't tell us much more than the first one. Pics of barrel & action stampings & close ups of the bottom metal, muzzle, any bluing or stock wear is what conveys info & allows some kind of analysis. I was able to discern that it has aftermarket bases that look like they have been screwed to the Sako scopemounting dovetails. That is unfortunate, as drilling & tapping the dovetails will hurt it's value. In some cases it is a deal breaker. Scopes, rings, bases, & slings generally don't add to a rifles appeal or value. Your rifle is not a collector grade piece, but is a nice shooter grade hunting rifle. It's value lies in it's family connection & that can't be measured in dollars. Peruse the forum section on medium action Sakos & you can get all kinds of info on the L579 Foresters from the different eras of production.

Take a look at your own pics. Do they satisfy you? I know its hard to hold a rifle and snap a pic at the same time. In your case a flash would have helped. Outdoor natural sunlight with a plain background gives the best pics. And yes, even I haven't had sunlight for almost a week. A picnic table with a light color or bed sheet on it helps. Also a real digital camera still beats most camera phones esp for closeups like gun stamping. You don't have to be a professional photog to take pics. Just ask yourself, "Are these good enough?" before you post.

Looks to be of the Firearms International era,late 60's. Look for import etching on underside of barrel in front of forearm. Missing front sight hood. Appears to be Weaver dovetail bases and rings. Scope is a mystery. 2 cents worth.

Take a look at your own pics. Do they satisfy you? I know its hard to hold a rifle and snap a pic at the same time. In your case a flash would have helped. Outdoor natural sunlight with a plain background gives the best pics. And yes, even I haven't had sunlight for almost a week. A picnic table with a light color or bed sheet on it helps. Also a real digital camera still beats most camera phones esp for closeups like gun stamping. You don't have to be a professional photog to take pics. Just ask yourself, "Are these good enough?" before you post.
Sorry it’s at my mothers house for safe keeping right now. She’s older without the greatest phone for taking pictures. Sometimes when your asking another person for help you accept that’s the best they can do. She isn’t the best with technology at her age. However, I appreciate that she took the time and won’t frustrate her to do it again. Guess I assumed if your expert that you would spot a mile away the year and much more. I apologize for assuming. I’ll post more when I get a chance to take them myself. As for these more unique places to take a picture I didn’t realize. I asked for help because obviously this is not an area I’m very familiar with at this time.

WOW, if your MOM helped you out and took the pics that is the greatest. Bless her for that. Yes it does look like it has Weaver mounts and rings. The sad thing about that is that the mounts have a screw torqued into the Sako dove tails which will mar the top of the OEM rails. A known problem and not liked by Sako buyers. The scope looks like nothing at all desired. Maybe even a K-mart special. Just saying.

Latest posts

Back