• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Strange Scope Mount

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Check out the rear mount base of this Redfield-type mount on a Sako currently offered on Gunbroker. I've never seen the rear base turned backward (although these mounts have been made both with forward and aft-located front bases). Is this a rare variation I've never come across, or has someone somehow managed to mount this base reversed on the dovetail?

Q4BGJh.jpg

Stone I have seen many Redfield bases on Sakos and never came across a set up like that resr mount. Very Strange

No how.....no way.

Although the rear base(for the Sako long action) is designed to overhang the loading/ejection port.........it was NOT designed to be reversed on the rear receiver ring. The dovetail angles would be reversed, with respect to one another.....resulting in contact at only the front edge of the rear receiver ring dovetail.

I would dare say that if one would push the scope's rear left or right.......the scope front ring mount would pivot.

Wow......

Check out the rear mount base of this Redfield-type mount on a Sako currently offered on Gunbroker. I've never seen the rear base turned backward (although these mounts have been made both with forward and aft-located front bases). Is this a rare variation I've never come across, or has someone somehow managed to mount this base reversed on the dovetail?

View attachment 17735
I have been using Redfield-style bases on Sakos since 1971. I say Redfield-style because these bases don't quite look like Redfield. When Redfield changed the design and reversed the dovetail cuts on the bases, they still did not look like this. Note that the objective bell seems to be pressed against the barrel. If the scope and rings were removed, I would not be surprised to find that the bases had been screwed to the action--or even glued onto the action.

No how.....no way.
I agree. I'd love to see just how they accomplished this.

I once saw a scope mount that had been welded onto a Ruger Mini-14 with an ARC WELDER using what looked like an E-6013 stick. You can imagine what a beautiful job that was.

I once saw a scope mount that had been welded onto a Ruger Mini-14 with an ARC WELDER using what looked like an E-6013 stick. You can imagine what a beautiful job that was.
I think 7018 rod would be more compatible with Ruger action castings & not splatter as much!!!

:)
Maybe they should have used a 7014 which, if I recall, is a low-hydrogen that is adaptable to either normal or reverse polarity.

My dad was a 798 weldor (yes, long enough to refer to himself as a weldor, he always told me his Lincoln 200 was a welder) and a couple of the first things he taught me when I started helping him was 1. how to hand him a rod and 2. know the difference between straight and reverse polarity.:)

Well, I don't have as good a story as this, but I was once looking at a .222 Vixen Sporter at a gun show, and the seller asked if I would like to handle it. I replied that it had been drilled for the Weaver bases, and I wasn't really interested. And he quickly said that it had never been drilled. So I had to pick it up, and, sure enough, there were no screws and no sign of drilled and tapped holes. I looked at him, and with a wink, he said: Acraglas.

Latest posts

Back