• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

DBM for Sako A7

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Since CDI is out of business is there any other routes to go for a DBM? Thank you.
Part of the problem with CDI’s system was it wasn’t a drop in kit like HS Precision or others. Rifles had to be sent for fitting. This was more than minor dremel work needed. I believe they were trying to build a good product but hadn’t worked out the R and D issues before advertising.

I know of no other source which would use an AI magazine or any other like Magpul for instance. The only thing available is bottom metal from Atlasworks, but it uses factory magazines. I’d also like a kit for my A7 because I do not have faith in the factory magazines for the long haul, but have not found a thing.

That's the fear I am having. I've thought about just taking a block of aluminum and milling it out to the same dimensions as the factory magazine... The other thought I've had is to take a single stack AI mag and seeing if I can put a lug on the front of the magazine like on the factory magazine. So far I am really impressed with the gun compared to my others bolt actions.

Best of luck. Mine has been pretty well reworked. I’ve done a McMillian Game Scout stock, custom muzzle brake, 85 shroud. oversized carbon fiber and titanium bolt handle, Warne Mountain Tech rings + bases, Leupold VX5, etc.. Bottom metal and magazines would be awesome to finish it up.

Sean Hodges,

Have you used Atlasworx out of Australia? They have shrouds and I am thinking of ordering a metal floorplate from them as a place holder until I find a dbm.... Do you know if they are safe?

Last edited:
Sean Hodges,

Have you used Atlasworx out of Australia? They have shrouds and I am thinking of ordering a metal floorplate from them as a place holder until I find a dbm.... Do you know if they are safe?
I considered the Atlasworx bottom metal but didn’t care for the shape of the trigger guard. Right now it’s still factory polymer. My friend has one and has zero complaints. I wouldn’t have a concern about safety. Hopefully something better will come along, but I’m not holding my breath.

The shroud is a genuine Sako 85 stainless steel. I ordered it from Midwest Gunworks. It was less expensive than the Atlasworx aluminum. It dressed up the bolt nicely. The fit and finish is superior and it was plug and play.

Last edited:
I considered the Atlasworx bottom metal but didn’t care for the shape of the trigger guard. Right now it’s still factory polymer. My friend has one and has zero complaints. I wouldn’t have a concerns about safety. Hopefully something better will come along, but I’m not holding my breath.

The shroud is a genuine Sako 85 stainless steel. I ordered it from Midwest Gunworks. It was less expensive than the Atlasworx aluminum. It dressed up the bolt nicely. The fit and finish is superior and it was plug and play.

Good deal, I was worried that I would get burned by them. I may order the parts from them. Thanks for the info.

Finally got my metal trigger guard from Atlasworxs:) Now, there has to be a way to use other magazines than the factory plastic ones!

Finally got my metal trigger guard from Atlasworxs:) Now, there has to be a way to use other magazines than the factory plastic ones!
The factory A7 magazine is way too proprietary as is the magazine release system to use any aftermarket magazine without major and radical modifications. I’ve recently looked at nearly everything available and nothing I’ve seen will work. I seriously doubt anything reliable or reasonably astetic could be accomplished.

I would love a better quality, higher capacity magazine - however, without some serious intervention by an experienced company willing to produce a high quality aftermarket product we are stuck with the factory model.

The factory A7 magazine is way too proprietary as is the magazine release system to use any aftermarket magazine without major and radical modifications. I’ve recently looked at nearly everything available and nothing I’ve seen will work. I seriously doubt anything reliable or reasonably astetic could be accomplished.

The concept of their magazine release is not that different from say other Atlasworxs DBM's. While the release system is at the back of the magazine on the those DBM's, the Sako A7's put it at the front of the magazine but almost the same concept(minus the drop free part). Another concern would be the positioning of the tip of the cartridge in relation to the feeding ramp(see https://mdttac.com/ca_en/mdt-metal-magazines-short-action.html), but I'm hoping the binder of an AICS magazine would take care of that. I just need to get my hands of one of those 5 rounds AICS magazines that fit into the bottom metal and see what's missing.

Another fun fact is that the magazine release system is connected to the receiver, and it looks like it can be unscrewed, so a DBM can be developed for the A7 without any obstacles inside.

Sigh.

The concept of their magazine release is not that different from say other Atlasworxs DBM's. While the release system is at the back of the magazine on the those DBM's, the Sako A7's put it at the front of the magazine but almost the same concept(minus the drop free part). Another concern would be the positioning of the tip of the cartridge in relation to the feeding ramp(see https://mdttac.com/ca_en/mdt-metal-magazines-short-action.html), but I'm hoping the binder of an AICS magazine would take care of that. I just need to get my hands of one of those 5 rounds AICS magazines that fit into the bottom metal and see what's missing.

Another fun fact is that the magazine release system is connected to the receiver, and it looks like it can be unscrewed, so a DBM can be developed for the A7 without any obstacles inside.

Sigh.
So are you perhaps considering buying an Atlasworx bottom metal kit with the rear release, then removing the factory magazine release. fitting the bottom metal, then potentially using a 5 round AICS magazine? If so, it sounds like an interesting concept.

One pitfall I’d see is making sure the back of the AICS magazine and bottom metal is properly positioned, in other words, the back of the magazine must ride up the metal leaf on the back of the action. This should help determine proper placement to the feed ramp, if the back of the two magazines are similar in thickness. I’d like to hear how it goes if I’ve understood you correctly. Thanks.

Actually I wanted to start with just modifying a magazine, but the second option should be explored too although making an Atlasworx Tikka DBM(for example) fit the A7 might not be as easy as it sounds. My friend has a Tikka CTR, I'll have to take the measurements of his factory DBM and see if closely resembles the ones of the Sako.

Actually I wanted to start with just modifying a magazine, but the second option should be explored too although making an Atlasworx Tikka DBM(for example) fit the A7 might not be as easy as it sounds. My friend has a Tikka CTR, I'll have to take the measurements of his factory DBM and see if closely resembles the ones of the Sako.

Have a chance to measure it yet?

No, not yet:( prolly won't happen till the pandemic restrictions are lifted, cause I need to travel to my friends' place and we're staying put for now.

I too am looking for a magazine or bottom metal solution to replace the factory A7 parts. I originally reached out to CDI a few years back before they had an A7 bottom metal offering, and asked if it was something they planned on doing. I was told to check back in a few months, and that they would have something. Time got away from me, and I never got around to shipping my rifle to Florida before the owner's passing. I recently started looking into whether or not another magazine could be adapted without changing the bottom metal. My plan was to try to modify a readily available polymer magazine to utilize the Sako magazine release. I've ended up with a functional magazine by using a Magpul Short Action AICS 5rd PMAG as a donor, and 3d printing the magazine to utilize the Sako mag release. This is an early prototype, as I will likely replace the printed lips with steel feed lips, and the design still has some tweaking to get it to where I want it to be. When I am finished with this project, I hope to be able to have 5 and 10 round magazines that utilize the follower, spring, and bottom plate from the Magpul PMAGs.
IMG_20200518_121433.jpg IMG_20200518_121642.jpg

How is your A7- PMAG project coming along?

The project is on hold for the time being. In the process of moving across the country, so I had to pack the printers up. Likely will resume in the next few months when I am resettled.

My prototype is functioning well, but durability is a concern especially on the feed lips. At this point, I'm mainly researching other methods/materials to give the magazines more strength without making the overall cost prohibitive.

The project is on hold for the time being. In the process of moving across the country, so I had to pack the printers up. Likely will resume in the next few months when I am resettled.

My prototype is functioning well, but durability is a concern especially on the feed lips. At this point, I'm mainly researching other methods/materials to give the magazines more strength without making the overall cost prohibitive.

I was just browsing for other options, and found that there are Carbon Fiber printers...maybe strong enough? $$$$

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back