• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako forester A2 info

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

leiden

Just got my sako forester a2. any one got some more info about it? serialnr 3374xx

Attachments

• sako a2.jpg
    sako a2.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 93
Your rifle was made shortly after the stamping change from L579 to AII, probably in the late 70's. It is the standard grade & since it has a crossbolt for the recoil lug, I'm guessing it is a 308 Win. The open sights were for the European market as those shipped to the US did not have sights. Check with our Factory Records Services to get more detail on your rifle.

The factory records service is a great resource, but it only includes L579's up through SN 115,000 or so, so no A-II's. However, Paulson has told you pretty much what you need to know. The A-II series was produced through the mid-1980's and is largely identical to the preceding L579 series. All of them were called "Forester" and came in .22-250, .243, 7mm-08 (later), .308, and a few very limited other calibers like a few in 7.62x39 and .220 Swift.

Last edited:
How is A2 quality wise? Is it same same as the l579? i was looking at a l579. But the A2 was in betther condition.

The AII is a L579 with the addition of the bolt shroud on the rear of the bolt, otherwise they are identical. Sako referred to them internally as a L579 even after the stamping change to AII occurred. There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forum on L579/AII's. Just spend some time & effort searching thru the threads about them & all your questions & more will be answered. It's much easier than asking one question at a time both for you and the rest of us. Look for the search box in the upper right of the home page, type in L579 or AII or just click on the Sako medium action thread section and start reading.

Just to add to this, maybe to get some feed back,I have a L579 pre 72' and 8 had a post 74, the early model is lighter profile barrel and the stock seems bigger in cross section......... Jay

Kim, you may be thinking of the later model 75 or 84 A2 rifles, The L579/AII models in this discussion had an internal box magazine with a floorplate and are non-detachable. However if you are looking for the sheet metal liner, it should fit.

Kim, you may be thinking of the later model 75 or 84 A2 rifles, The L579/AII models in this discussion had an internal box magazine with a floorplate and are non-detachable. However if you are looking for the sheet metal liner, it should fit.

20191217_161429.jpg yes you are right !
iam looking for a A2 clip bolt action 243 5 shot clip
thankyou
PS IT WAS A CUTOM MADE GUN BUT I USED a 243 A2 SAKO ACTION
BOTTOM GUN IN PIC
or does any one make clips or can i go too floor plate too save this gun
these actions were built in 1979/80
and could anyone tell me if their was a 3shot clip interchangeable

Last edited:
AII's with a detachable magazine are very, very rare. There were a few made toward the end of the production run. I remember back around 2000 a big Sako collection was auctioned at Rock Island and there were a few detachable-magazine guns in that auction. I still wish I'd bid, as the hammer prices were quite a bit less than I expected.

AII's with a detachable magazine are very, very rare. There were a few made toward the end of the production run. I remember back around 2000 a big Sako collection was auctioned at Rock Island and there were a few detachable-magazine guns in that auction. I still wish I'd bid, as the hammer prices were quite a bit less than I expected.

A regular trigger guard/magazine/floorplate assembly for an AII or L579 should bolt right on to your action. The only issue would be stock fit - the opening for the magazine might be larger or smaller. If there is a visible gap, it could be filled in with veneer by any competent woodworker. Of course, if the opening is too small, it would be easy enough to open it up.

A regular trigger guard/magazine/floorplate assembly for an AII or L579 should bolt right on to your action. The only issue would be stock fit - the opening for the magazine might be larger or smaller. If there is a visible gap, it could be filled in with veneer by any competent woodworker. Of course, if the opening is too small, it would be easy enough to open it up.

Latest posts

Back