• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L46 Hornet 5.6x36R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I see it has two bids as of this writing and is over $900. Both bidders are "usual suspects" when attractive Sakos are offered on Gunbroker -- and by that I mean they are well-known serious bidders who will certainly be joined by other serious bidders before the auction closes. L46 Hornets in nice condition are hot items right now. Beachloan, you made money by holding it for three years -- a lot more money than you would have made by selling it three years ago and putting the money in the bank at .000X% interest:p!

Good move displaying the factory records for all to see. That helps assure bidders that it is genuine. You don't mention it in the description, but serious Sako enthusiasts can see that it has the scarce early LH safety. Even more significant to me is that it is checkered only on the pistol grip. I've seen many of the birch models made for the European market with checkering only on the PG, but this is the only walnut U.S.A. export I can recall seeing with only PG checkering.

Good luck with the auction. The soon-to-be new owner will have a really nice and unique Sako, and the former owner will have a somewhat fatter wallet.

Thank you for the encouragement stonecreek. It was more of luck than anything else, after posting this a few years ago I put it in a case and stuck it in the back room with every intention of buying it myself but I never got around to it. I am going to let my FFL expire next year and I need to get everything off of the books so I hope it can go to someone that will enjoy it.

I was expecting this to sell in the $2500-3000 range but it seems it might go well past that. Anybody care to guess where they think this will close?

I am already content with the price but I would be a fool to say I don't want to see it go higher. I can not add anything to the description but as collectors/buyers are there any additional pictures that you would like to see added?

I think there is a resistance level at 4K. Hard to break that barrier. But I've been wrong before. You rarely see even the most desirable ones go so high (~3K right now) with so much time remaining, so it could very well blow thorough that resistance level.

I'm a little new so I have a question. There is an L46 hornet serial # 36743 listed on guns international that has the rear sight. The one listed on gunbroker and discussed above doesn't have the rear sight. Was this removed? thanks mike

Most Sakos of that era which were made for export to the U.S. did not have rear sights, while those made for "domestic" European outlets usually had sights. The one on GI you mention has proof markings from a European country -- I think Britain -- so it was a "domestic" model with the rear sights.

Reactions: FLT
Most Sakos of that era which were made for export to the U.S. did not have rear sights, while those made for "domestic" European outlets usually had sights. The one on GI you mention has proof markings from a European country -- I think Britain -- so it was a "domestic" model with the rear sights.
Thank you for the explanation

Hello Sako Lovers,
I own a B.S.A. Hunter .22 Hornet bolt - action rifle which was proofed at Birmingham in 1956, but came out of production in 1960. This practice often happened at B.S.A. during production, and I believe the same happened at Sako. The B.S.A. Hunter .22 Hornet is as new and superbly handsome with great accuracy due to the cut - rifled & lapped barrels of that era. Built on B.S.A.'s short - action during the 1950's, which is now akin to a hand built rifle of today.

Blackjack

P.S. I wish my fellow Sako Lovers a Very Merry Christmas.

$3980.00 !!

Was I closest? Did I win anything?:D:rolleyes:

So stonecreek, you were right about the 4K limit!!

Still a handsome price for a L46. Congratulations to both buyer and seller!!

Jim

Christmas is not a good time to auction off a gun. Second in my opinion, the magazine looked like a replacement. Next problem was no photos of the trigger. No photos of bolt face.

Next problem for non-California buyers, is finding a FFL dealer that will ship the gun back to California, if the buyer desires to return the gun.

the magazine looked like a replacement. Next problem was no photos of the trigger. No photos of bolt face.

Next problem for non-California buyers, is finding a FFL dealer that will ship the gun back to California,
Exactly. I had thought of all of those things except trigger pics. I was out at just over $3k. Still a very cool rifle, and would have loved to have added it to my stash. But too high for me.....I was out. I did notice that the winning bidder had bid even higher, but nobody was willing to take it over the $4k mark. I wish a Hornet Mannlicher would show up.....I need one of those.

DeerGoose

Exactly. I had thought of all of those things except trigger pics. I was out at just over $3k. Still a very cool rifle, and would have loved to have added it to my stash. But too high for me.....I was out. I did notice that the winning bidder had bid even higher, but nobody was willing to take it over the $4k mark. I wish a Hornet Mannlicher would show up.....I need one of those.

DeerGoose
Christmas is not a good time to auction off a gun. Second in my opinion, the magazine looked like a replacement. Next problem was no photos of the trigger. No photos of bolt face.

Next problem for non-California buyers, is finding a FFL dealer that will ship the gun back to California, if the buyer desires to return the gun.

Photo of bolt face is shown in last photo of original photo set the seller posted. Face looked good to me. I noticed that the number of guns being listed have increased in the last couple weeks which is what I have observed for several years now. I agree it would seem the holiday season would be a poor time to sell but cannot determine this by the increase in number being offered. Some have decent prices, maybe wife needs more babble and beads and he needs one less gun.

Back