• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Sako Forester L579 .308 1960 production

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Just joined your club. This photo is of my L579 serial number 12621. I have owned the rifle for several years. I know the recoil pad isn't factory but recently someone told me the stock isn't factory as well? Any yeas or nays would be appreciated. The cap on the pistol grip is just plain Jane with no design or logo.

20191209_114918.jpg 20191208_151927.jpg 20191209_114958.jpg 20191208_151608.jpg 20191209_114944.jpg

Just joined your club. This photo is of my L579 serial number 12621. I have owned the rifle for several years. I know the recoil pad isn't factory but recently someone told me the stock isn't factory as well? Any yeas or nays would be appreciated. The cap on the pistol grip is just plain Jane with no design or logo.

View attachment 17417 View attachment 17418 View attachment 17419 View attachment 17420 View attachment 17421
Id say its a custom stock with an attempt at some Sako traits, like the cheek piece, and an attempt of the checkering on the fore stock. The fore tip and grip cap also say custom. The bottom metal is not properly fitted as it’s inserted too deep (below the wood line) to be factory original. Nice figured wood in the butt stock. Not knocking it just giving my honest opinion.

Your customized Sako L579 also has an aftermarket trigger. 1960 would be a good guess as to its production date (judging from the floorplate release), but Sako serial numbers were not used in chronological order, so the only way to know its exact date of production would be to order the factory records.

Your replies are much appreciated. Yes the trigger is a Timney as I installed it my self as well as replacing the action screws to hex (Allen) for easier removal. I have the original Sako trigger and action screws. For its age the bluing, I think, is exceptional and it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around why the original stock may have been replaced. If the original had been beaten to death, so to speak, one would think that it would also have been reflected in the hardware, action barrel, etc?

Your replies are much appreciated. Yes the trigger is a Timney as I installed it my self as well as replacing the action screws to hex (Allen) for easier removal. I have the original Sako trigger and action screws. For its age the bluing, I think, is exceptional and it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around why the original stock may have been replaced. If the original had been beaten to death, so to speak, one would think that it would also have been reflected in the hardware, action barrel, etc?
It’s possible the original was broken and then not a candidate for a repair. Obviously speculation on my part. This might explain why the bluing is still in very good condition, however, I’ve seen plenty of beat up stocks and not much damage or wear to bluing.

Barreled actions were available from Sako and many were sold for custom stocking. My best guess is that you have one of those.

Barreled actions were available from Sako and many were sold for custom stocking. My best guess is that you have one of those.
Interesting, I always knew actions in the white were made available for customs, I didn’t realize (already blued?) barreled actions were also made available. See you can learn something new everyday. Thanks.

But it makes one wonder, unless the original stock was trashed somehow, why would a person bother barreling an action with a custom stock? Unless the stock would have been the nicest piece of wood possible which it appears mine is not.

In my years of bench rest shooting it wasn't unusual for me to buy just a barrel action and spend the money on a McMillan custom stock and a Jewel trigger.

With one leg in the old age home at 79 years old I am thinning out my firearms and now suppose my Sako would be of little or no interest to a Sako collector. I used it for years at a local 1000 meter "Hunter Class' competition and never failed to bring home a trophy. As factory as it is it's one of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles I have ever shot. Clover leafs at 100 yards.

But it makes one wonder, unless the original stock was trashed somehow, why would a person bother barreling an action with a custom stock? Unless the stock would have been the nicest piece of wood possible which it appears mine is not.

In my years of bench rest shooting it wasn't unusual for me to buy just a barrel action and spend the money on a McMillan custom stock and a Jewel trigger.

With one leg in the old age home at 79 years old I am thinning out my firearms and now suppose my Sako would be of little or no interest to a Sako collector. I used it for years at a local 1000 meter "Hunter Class' competition and never failed to bring home a trophy. As factory as it is it's one of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles I have ever shot. Clover leafs at 100 yards.
While it may not be highly collectible, your Bofors marked Sako will still be of interest to a lot of folks as a shooter/hunting rifle, if and when you decide to part with it. Trust me, if you price it accordingly you’ll have no problem finding someone to purchase it. Take care.

While it may not be highly collectible, your Bofors marked Sako will still be of interest to a lot of folks as a shooter/hunting rifle, if and when you decide to part with it. Trust me, if you price it accordingly you’ll have no problem finding someone to purchase it. Take care.

Canadian dollars at the moment are worth about 75 cents US. If you have a ballpark figure for an asking price perhaps you could send me a PM rather than posting it?

Interesting, I always knew actions in the white were made available for customs, I didn’t realize (already blued?) barreled actions were also made available. See you can learn something new everyday. Thanks.
Yes, the Sako barreled actions were completely blued, as were their earlier actions-only. It was much later, probably starting with the A-series, that the actions were shipped in-the-white.

If you would like to restore this to an original configuration, check Ebay from time to time. You might get lucky and pick up an original trigger and stock for it. They do show up there every so often and the prices are usually fairly reasonable.

rick

There is an original L579 posted on Ebay as we speak. It is for a heavy and looks to be in fairly decent shape. The seller is accepting offers so If you want one this one looks like a pretty good candidate.

Hope this helps.

rick

Hello Sako Lovers,
I have a 1970 L579 HB stock which has been customised to a very high standard here in the UK. The stock has some lovely figure and colour. A shadow line around the cheek piece, re - chequered to 26 lines per inch by Alan Wey a chequerer to the London Gun Makers - e g James Purdey, Boss & Co., William Evans - etc etc. The recoil pin was engraved by Shaun Banks { Westley Richards } and re - blacked. The stock would need a new grip - cap. Finally the stock was English oil finished. Originally the HB stock came off a .308 Win. rifle.
All I would like for the L579 HB stock is a L461 " Deluxe " Sporter { Not HB } stock. So a swop or exchange!
Blackjack

Latest posts

Back