• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Finnwolf still for sale in classified.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I'd be willing to talk about it.

Well, I guess I'll give my two cents regarding your Finnwolf. Don't take anything I say as definitive or in any way critical of you or your rifle. It has been listed for around a month on our site & has not moved. That indicates to me that your asking price is way above market value for THAT rifle. From the pictures in your thread about the rifle it appears that someone has added a coat of varnish either when refinishing or overlaying the original finish. The varnish also appears to have been applied to the checkered areas as well. This destroyed any "collector" value the rifle may have had. There have been some recent discussions here about current market trends that I think apply to your rifle. Some Sakos are highly sought after by true "collectors" and their market value has jump in some cases recently. These rifles are in rare configurations & calibers & many times in pristine condition. The more common or "hunter" grade Sakos have either been neutral or fallen in price. What many sellers on the gun auction/sale sites don't realize is that their Sako falls in the later catagory, but they are pricing it in the "collector" category. Subsequently, the perception of the value of many Sakos today is skewed. If you look at most of the Sakos for sale online they are listed over & over for months without selling or even getting a bid, so using those values as a gauge for pricing any Sako is probably not a good starting point. What is your rifle worth??? That's a really hard question to answer as each rifle's sale has it own set of variables. One way to look at it is it will probably take $400 to $500 to professionally refinish your stock to "look" original, including removing the varnish from the checkering & repointing it. If you feel that rifle in original condition is worth $1600, then deducting the cost of restoration may be closer to it's market value. Other opinions may vary & hopefully others will chime in & give theirs. Good luck!!

I only located a single photo of your Finnwolf, and that photo doesn't show too much to a potential buyer. When marketing a gun via the internet it is essential to have a good set of detailed photos so buyers can make an informed judgement of condition and appearance.

Your asking price at $1600 is pretty much retail (what a stocking dealer might price it on his shelf) for a 98% Sako Finnwolf. If it has been refinished, is not original in some way, or shows significant usage marks then its retail price would be lower. It is difficult to command retail for a rifle sold over the internet due to the reservations buyers have about purchasing something that cannot inspect in person.

So, my advice would be to post a good set of detailed photos, state your asking price based on your evaluation of its condition, then invite potential buyers to contact you for further details and to make offers which you might entertain.

Thank you. I do sincerely appreciate your comments.
Professional pics would do better justice to the rifle.
Pictures from a cell phone on a bright sunny day don't due it justice.
I can send any pictures anyone wants and said so in the add.
I'm a lever action fanatic not a Sako fanatic.
Truth be told I've been shy shooting the rifle due to its potential worth.
In stead of keeping it in the safe I'll be takeing it to the range to show the Benchrest gang what a Lever Action can do.

Back