• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Mount identification help - Redfield

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

jimsako

Hello,

I am trying to determine if this receiver was drilled/tapped for these Redfield mounts. I don't see any screws on the mounts and I can't tell how these mounts are connected to the receiver. I believe that these mounts might be compression fitted, but want to be sure. The seller believes that these mounts didn't require tapping/drilling. I am inexperienced with mounting scopes and I have a return window of a few days from now. Do I need to bite the bullet and remove these mounts myself to be sure that there aren't any hidden drill holes? And are they difficult to remove and put them back on? I have spare Sako rings as alternates. These mounts seem to be a good match for the scope clearance. Thanks in advance.

rear1.jpg

rear4.jpg

front2.jpg rear3.jpg rear2.jpg

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 8
Redfield mounts just slide on the dovetails and you take a little block of wood and hammer then tap them solidly into place, to get them off tap them from the oposite side. Sometime takes a pretty solid rap to get them off. NO DRILLING/TAPPING REQUIRED.

Redfield mounts just slide on the dovetails and you take a little block of wood and hammer then tap them solidly into place, to get them off tap them from the oposite side. Sometime takes a pretty solid rap to get them off. NO DRILLING/TAPPING REQUIRED.

Thanks, that's what I hoped for. I saw some redfield bases with a set screw that applies pressure to the top of the dovetail and some have a post. Now I'm wondering if these bases might be hiding some ugly drill holes.

The Sako dovetails are tapered so recoil forces tend to tighten these mounts, so like marlin92 said it can take a pretty good blow to get them off. Some of those type mounts had sets screw, that are totally unnecessary, that would mar the dovetails if used. Some really unknowledgeable (that's the PC word for stupid) people actually drilled into the dovetails & screwed these mounts on. Yours don't appear to have the set screw or to be D&T'd. They work well & can be reinstalled by just driving them back on. Be sure to use a wood or plastic dowel or punch.

To get a better fit I would recommend getting a hold of some Sako mounts/rings. The rear mount will have a little tit protruding from the rear of the mount. The tit fits neatly into that little grove machined into the rear dovetail. Alignment should be a breeze.

rick

The Sako dovetails are tapered so recoil forces tend to tighten these mounts, so like marlin92 said it can take a pretty good blow to get them off. Some of those type mounts had sets screw, that are totally unnecessary, that would mar the dovetails if used. Some really unknowledgeable (that's the PC word for stupid) people actually drilled into the dovetails & screwed these mounts on. Yours don't appear to have the set screw or to be D&T'd. They work well & can be reinstalled by just driving them back on. Be sure to use a wood or plastic dowel or punch.

The fine checkering on the Sako dovetail is a really nice detail and it's a sad sight to see them drilled. Hammering makes me nervous.

Use a wooden driver to push the mount off of the dovetail. I have removed many without any issues. Take the scope and rings off first just to make sure there isn't a set screw hidden under there. Can't imagine that there would be but I have seen many unbelievable butcher jobs over the years that I don't like to talk about.

rick

Use a wooden driver to push the mount off of the dovetail. I have removed many without any issues. Take the scope and rings off first just to make sure there isn't a set screw hidden under there. Can't imagine that there would be but I have seen many unbelievable butcher jobs over the years that I don't like to talk about.

rick

If I measured right, there is about a 3mm clearance between the objective bell and the barrel with this setup. That looks like a nice fit and the scope seems to line up well for me so far. I have medium Sako ring set to try and a medium leupold too. I think I'll get a wood dowel tomorrow and post an update.

If I measured right, there is about a 3mm clearance between the objective bell and the barrel with this setup. That looks like a nice fit and the scope seems to line up well for me so far. I have medium Sako ring set to try and a medium leupold too. I think I'll get a wood dowel tomorrow and post an update.
While you’re at it spritz some penetrating oil between the mounts and dovetails and allow it to work for a while prior to attempting to knock off the mounts. Try and flush it down the sides where the taper is. There may be some crud built up. Also, it’s best to have a padded gun vise to properly secure the rifle as to free up both hands. And if possible a work bench at a proper height. Kitchen counter tops work too.

I use a hard wood dowel or block (oak or walnut, soft woods will splinter) and have shaped the end so it sort of matches the surface which needs to be struck. Get a good grip on the block. Then use short sharp carefully placed strikes squarely on the block. Take your time between strikes. Re set the block each time prior to each strike. It may take several well placed strikes but they will pop off. Best of luck.

Last edited:
All above advice is spot on. Some of the older Redfield/Burris SDT ("Sako Dove Tail") bases came with a set screw which some people attempted to use to place them somewhere aft of the forward-most position. THIS IS WRONG and will be totally unsatisfactory. Not only will the set screw gouge the delicate checkering on the top of the dovetails, but the bases will also likely move under recoil.

Properly installed by tapping the base tightly forward on the taper of the dovetail, these bases will never come off (and recoil actually tightens them further). They have to be uninstalled by reversing the process by tapping them rearward, using a hardwood block to safely transfer the impact of the mallet without scarring anything.

To anyone wandering into this thread, I did not remove these bases and rings since I unfortunately found an issue with rifle's condition and returned it.

Back