• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Greetings From Alberta, Canada

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello everyone .. first time post to this forum.
Am interested in learning about the Sako 243 - L579.
I acquired this rifle from my brother many many years ago ... IMG-7312-1.JPG IMG-7313.JPG IMG-7311-1.JPG has been stored in a gun locker - controlled environment - storage for I am guessing over 40 years. Can anyone tell me about this rifle - and in particular its value in Canadian $$ or US $$ ? Here are some pics ...

Attachments

• IMG-7310-1.JPG
    IMG-7310-1.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-7308-1.JPG
    IMG-7308-1.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi and welcome.

We strive not to place value on any Sako rifle that is brought to our attention. There are so many variables that putting a price on one particular piece without having it in hand can be very difficult.

That said, you have a really fine looking L579. Your rifle is in one of the more common calibers for the model. I love the Unertl. It looks like a 15X ultra varmeter to me. In any event I'm a real fan of the heave versions with large period optics like yours.

Many Thanks for posting the pics as the members here really like to see the different kinds of Sako rifles our new members own.

Rick

From the serial number your rifle is a very late L579, probably made somewhere between 1977 and 1979. So, if it has been in storage for 40 years then it was put there when it was virtually new. It is the heavy barrel varmint model. The old-style target scopes like mounted on it are in high demand among a certain set of shooters.

The price of guns varies hugely with geography, seasons, and economic conditions. I'll just say that in the circles I travel the rifle and scope would easily be worth over $1,000 USD. How much over is a matter of speculation.

Couple years ago I sold a L579 243 in similar condition for $1000 cdn.
There is following for those vintage scopes but I have no idea what one would sell for.

Hi and welcome.

We strive not to place value on any Sako rifle that is brought to our attention. There are so many variables that putting a price on one particular piece without having it in hand can be very difficult.

That said, you have a really fine looking L579. Your rifle is in one of the more common calibers for the model. I love the Unertl. It looks like a 15X ultra varmeter to me. In any event I'm a real fan of the heave versions with large period optics like yours.

Many Thanks for posting the pics as the members here really like to see the different kinds of Sako rifles our new members own.

Rick

Appreciated .. thanks Rick.

From the serial number your rifle is a very late L579, probably made somewhere between 1977 and 1979. So, if it has been in storage for 40 years then it was put there when it was virtually new. It is the heavy barrel varmint model. The old-style target scopes like mounted on it are in high demand among a certain set of shooters.

The price of guns varies hugely with geography, seasons, and economic conditions. I'll just say that in the circles I travel the rifle and scope would easily be worth over $1,000 USD. How much over is a matter of speculation.

That is very helpful "stonecreek" .... and you are right. My brother only had the rifle a short while before he passed away (cancer - at the age of 39)) ... it came to me and it has been locked away since. I now have to make a decision ... likely will look to selling though.
rudy

Couple years ago I sold a L579 243 in similar condition for $1000 cdn.
There is following for those vintage scopes but I have no idea what one would sell for.

Interesting ... I do know from "way back when" .. my brother said the rifle /scope combo made it incredibly accurate at long distances. Varmints (groundhogs/etc) didn't stand a chance. :)

Back