• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Can you give me info on my AIII

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gjb89

Hello,
I inherited this rifle when my grandfather passed away. My dad thinks he remembers him buying it from a soldier who was coming from a duty station in Europe.
Any idea what year?
Was it a bring home or imported?
What would this model have been called if I bought it at a store?
Any idea why the last 3 of the serial number would be engraved on the bolt?

54F3F79B-D661-4188-979D-5F27BCBD49D4.jpeg 6B8E27DB-1A04-4051-B2B2-33B35CFF2FC2.jpeg 0FB78D0B-B221-4EC4-992B-B2F47CBC4D88.jpeg 520CBC01-A862-4326-93F5-10162B253F43.jpeg DF226915-4F57-4D24-9379-77668B6C785A.jpeg

Hello,
I inherited this rifle when my grandfather passed away. My dad thinks he remembers him buying it from a soldier who was coming from a duty station in Europe.
Any idea what year?
Was it a bring home or imported?
What would this model have been called if I bought it at a store?
Any idea why the last 3 of the serial number would be engraved on the bolt?

View attachment 16366 View attachment 16367 View attachment 16368 View attachment 16369 View attachment 16370
Based on my information, your gun most likely was manufactured in 1979 or 1980. AIII started in 1978. If the bottom of barrel does not have Stoger Hackensack NJ lighty engraved, probably a bring back . I brought 3 back in 1971when in AF. Your gun is known as an AIII (A3) today, yesterday and tomorrow. Last three digits of serial number proves the bolt belongs to your specific rifle and is not a mismatch

Based on my information, your gun most likely was manufactured in 1979 or 1980. AIII started in 1978. If the bottom of barrel does not have Stoger Hackensack NJ lighty engraved, probably a bring back . I brought 3 back in 1971when in AF. Your gun is known as an AIII (A3) today, yesterday and tomorrow. Last three digits of serial number proves the bolt belongs to your specific rifle and is not a mismatch

Thank for the info Tomball! I figured the bolt engraving had something todo with the bring back process.

The A-III rifle (a "long" action and successor to the L61R action) was also called the "Finnbear". I'm not sure if that name is engraved anywhere on the rifle, but it would have been printed on the end label of the box. Internally, Sako continued to refer to the A-III as "L61R".

I see your rifle is equipped with a rear open sight. If this is factory and not added then it is a strong indicator that the rifle was originally made for the European market.

Back