• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Dimensions of Sako Tapered Dovetail

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

Have the dimensions of Sako's tapered dovetail remained constant through the various iterations of Sako models: L-series, A-series, 75, 85?

I ask because while searching for a set of vintage Sako mounts, one site that had a set stated that they were for L-series, AI, AII, AIII, and AV. The 75 and 85 were not mentioned.

To my knowledge, only three Sako centerfire models have not used the same tapered dovetails: The M581, which was a cooperative effort with Tikka and used the Tikka mount system, the current A7, and the TRG sniper rifle. All others, including the 75 and 85 series use the same tapered dovetail mounts which go all of the way back to the L-46 (or its prototype L42). Of course, the dovetails on the short actions are not as long as those on the long actions, but the same taper fits.

Of course, Sako did build actions specifically for Browning, H&R, Beretta, and Magnum Research which were round-topped with no dovetail.

Also, I am discounting the P72, P75, and M78 Hornets which, although technically centerfires, were made on the rimfire action which used screw-on bases.

To my knowledge, only three Sako centerfire models have not used the same tapered dovetails: The M581, which was a cooperative effort with Tikka and used the Tikka mount system, the current A7, and the TRG sniper rifle. All others, including the 75 and 85 series use the same tapered dovetail mounts which go all of the way back to the L-46 (or its prototype L42). Of course, the dovetails on the short actions are not as long as those on the long actions, but the same taper fits.

Of course, Sako did build actions specifically for Browning, H&R, Beretta, and Magnum Research which were round-topped with no dovetail.

Also, I am discounting the P72, P75, and M78 Hornets which, although technically centerfires, were made on the rimfire action which used screw-on bases.
Thanks for this. I had thought that this was the case (about the L-series, A-series, and 75, 85), but needed confirmation. I've wondered why all of the scope-mount makers except for Leupold have designed their mounts for Sako rifles with unnecessary bases that screw on to the Sako dovetail. Why didn't Warne, Talley, Conetrol, S&K, Buehler, Burris, Weaver, et al. include rings to attach directly to the excellent Sako tapered dovetail rather than providing instead bases and rings?

I thought that we had addressed this question in another discussion. Here is the title of the post.

Sako dovetail dimension question

Kindly look it up and I think you will find the answers you are looking for there.

rick

I thought that we had addressed this question in another discussion. Here is the title of the post.

Sako dovetail dimension question

Kindly look it up and I think you will find the answers you are looking for there.

rick
Rick, I understand your desire to avoid unnecessary redundancy in threads. In fact, before starting this thread, I used the search function, going to "search forums" and then "keyword" and entering "sako dovetail." This seemed sufficiently broad to pick up any discussion of dimensions, since the words "sako dovetail" would almost certainly have had to be in the thread title or post. I went back the 193 posts to 2015 that comprised the entire search (before today's 4 posts), and no thread title seemed to suggest an answer to my question. I guess I could have tried some other search terms, but couldn't think of what else might be relevant and didn't have hours to try everything else that might bear fruit or to read endless posts that, although unlikely to have been pertinent, might have contained some discussion of the topic.

I think we need to be reasonably tolerant of some redundancy in threads and posts in this forum. Sometimes it's just more feasible to start a new thread than to spend hours going down endless rabbit holes searching for what might have been a relevant thread or post some time in the past.

Just my opinion....

Last edited:
I posted ...….. Sako dovetail dimension question...…… Because in it Stonecreek answered your question about dovetail dimensions. His response was a bit extensive a I determined that it would have been better for all to refer to that post rather than just to quote his thread.

rick

I posted ...….. Sako dovetail dimension question...…… Because in it Stonecreek answered your question about dovetail dimensions. His response was a bit extensive a I determined that it would have been better for all to refer to that post rather than just to quote his thread.

rick
That's interesting, Rick. When I enter those exact words: "Sako dovetail dimension question" I recover the 2012 post that you're referring to. However, when I entered "sako dovetail" before starting this thread, it didn't come up.

In any case, it was good to get Stonecreek's earlier post. Thanks for the heads-up.

No issues. Just trying to help. Glad you were able to get the post and read Stone's thread. In my opinion it is very informative and concise. Sort of puts things in perspective if you know what I mean.

rick

Interesting. I have found that there was a change after the X91's. The Warne Maxima's will not work on models earlier than the 75. I tried 3 sets and contacted Warne, who verified they don't fit. The earlier Warnes are my favorites, so now I am left to Sako OEM's...drat. Unless I'm lucky enough to stumble on some NOS warne mediums.

Latest posts

Back