• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Value of 308 Forester, HB

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi!
New to the forum. I tend to hang out over at US Rifle Team. I compete in NRA Highpower and hold a high master qualification in 'cross the course'.
My first rifle, which I shot from a middle of the road benchrest set up, is a Sako Forester in 308. I haven't shot it in over 20 years. I have kept the bore clean and with a light coat of oil all the time. There's a light coat of oil on all the metal parts. It's been kept in a temperature and humidity controlled area.

What would be it's estimated value? AII action [S/N 381182 - i.e., made between 1990 and 1991, I think].
~ 1000 rounds. Pillar bedded by Alex Sitman of Masterclass Stocks. Last 5 shot group at 100 yards was completely covered by a quarter. That was the first and last group I shot after it was pillar bedded.

Light colored wood stock. No stock dings. Very little wear on the bluing.
Includes rings.

Thanks!

Thanks.
Interesting. So, the similar ones, but seem to be from the 60's and 70's, listed for $1300 are just really high? Or is there value in being older?

listed for $1300
There is often a big difference in asking prices and actual prices received. For a more accurate picture check the prices of "sold" items on Gunbroker. This will reveal to you that the vast majority of listings there are above actual market and never sell.

Kirkbridger's estimate isn't unreasonable, but it is impossible to accurately price a gun by description alone. Where it is marketed, how it is marketed, the time of the year, and about a hundred other variables can put it somewhat above or below the price he mentions.

Pictures work best. Sako rings? BR trigger? Might be worth 950 to 1100. Sounds like an AII based on date of manufacture.

Here's pics.
E6qadUo.jpg

I5UEqwr.jpg

aWHJ1xX.jpg

0en0EBd.jpg

dGlGoB4.jpg

UoEs7Oi.jpg

BwReVFl.jpg

That's a beauty and it does have the benchrest trigger. That's got nicer wood than mine does. Those look like Leupold rings so no $$ there.

$1100-1200.00, or you can deal with Webphut, he's been looking for this exact gun.

Thanks for showing us the pics.

Gary

it is impossible to accurately price a gun by description alone.
The initial description left out the fact that it has the very scarce externally-adjustable factory trigger that is extremely rare on an A-II action. Some people might buy it just for that trigger, which likely enhances its market value significantly. As I said, "it is impossible to accurately price a gun by description alone".

Hey Frank,

Just curious, does this have an importer's mark on the underside of the barrel or anywhere? My AII .308 does not, it was a bring back.

So it is and if I cared to look at that Barrel picture just a little closer...
Thanks Frank, Stone is correct, not many of those were brought in.

Very interesting.
I just lucked out.
It was the first gun I bought. All I knew was it should be accurate. Didn't adjust the trigger until after it was pillar bedded. If I had only known!
Right now, it's about 10oz.

PS. Does the fact that it's stamped with the Stoeger import make it any more valuable?

Does the fact that it's stamped with the Stoeger import make it any more valuable?
Stoeger was the importer of all of the A-series Sakos, so no, any of them which were originally sold in the United States will have the Stoeger importer's mark.

A very limited number of Sakos in the U. S. coming in after 1968 (the year that importers were first required by law to have their name and location on an imported gun) were like Gowyo's "bring back" -- meaning that they were imported by individuals, usually U.S. servicemen who were stationed in Europe. These would have no importer's mark.

Back