• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako TRGs Scope mounting on a 995

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

IMHO As a M995 lover I would think seriously of the consequences. Increased height of the scope. Increased weight of the rifle since the the M995 weight is already substantial. And also decrease the value of the rifle by drilling and tapping. My suggestion is to use Sako OptiLoc mounts which are very rugged and will be more suited for all around use. (With a strong scope tube will also serve as a good carrying handle.) Sakojim.

Most of the add on picatinny rails do not require any drilling and tapping. They utilize set screws. I personally don’t like them as they mar the finish and gouge the dovetails.

I agree with sakojim with regard to the Optilock ring and base system. You can purchase various heights of rings based on need, and also get extended bases to help with the overall action length.

Last edited:
Here's a picture that I saved on my desktop of a picatinny rail on a 995 action. I save the photo because I like the looks of this rifle and have the hope to someday find a bare action and build one like it.

Looks like this one slides over the dovetails and then must tighten with set screws. It wouldn't bother me with the set screws marks on the top of the dovetails on a project like this.

image_49060.jpg

Here's a picture that I saved on my desktop of a picatinny rail on a 995 action. I save the photo because I like the looks of this rifle and have the hope to someday find a bare action and build one like it.

Looks like this one slides over the dovetails and then must tighten with set screws. It wouldn't bother me with the set screws marks on the top of the dovetails on a project like this.

View attachment 15963
Yeah, I do agree with the configuration on a tactical set up. You can also buy a 20 MOA rail as well to stretch the capabilities in the elevation turret for extreme ranges.

I like the Redfield/Burris mount for a TRGs/995. Use the one which has the front dovetail opening at the rear of the base, then use a front offset ring turned rearward. This will reduce the ring spacing to about that of the L579 and make it easy to mount nearly any scope of typical tube length.

An alternative, if you can find one, is to use the original Sako offset ringmounts. Most people assume that the front offset ring must be turned forward (like for a long scope on a short action). However, by reversing the clamps it can be turned rearward and afford you a shorter span on an action like the L61R or M995.

Sadly neither Near Mfg or Euro Optics produces their "tap-on" picatinny rails anymore. All due to Sako not taking care to manufacture their actions to tight enough tolerances.

Near Mfg do make a screw-on picatinny rail that is very nice. However, if you want to keep the rifle in its original state, drilling and taping doesn't work.

In the case of the picture posted by Rocky a lower mount would not work due to clearance issues with the scope. So the extra height is not a problem.

On one of my M995s I have a screw-on Near (allready installed when I bought it) on the other I will use extended Optilocks.

IMHO As a M995 lover I would think seriously of the consequences. Increased height of the scope. Increased weight of the rifle since the the M995 weight is already substantial. And also decrease the value of the rifle by drilling and tapping. My suggestion is to use Sako OptiLoc mounts which are very rugged and will be more suited for all around use. (With a strong scope tube will also serve as a good carrying handle.) Sakojim.
The value of my rifle is worthless if I can't mount a scope on it. I called Beretta and after an hour with their idiot on the phone, she sent me over $300 worth of scrap metal. Nothing I got would fit my rifle and the person at Beretta was useless in correcting the problem.

The value of my rifle is worthless if I can't mount a scope on it. I called Beretta and after an hour with their idiot on the phone, she sent me over $300 worth of scrap metal. Nothing I got would fit my rifle and the person at Beretta was useless in correcting the problem.
Calm down. You are responding to a nearly 4 year old post with a rant that tells us nothing about what rifle you have nor what scope you are trying to mount. Post some info & some pics & I'm sure the members here can get you on the right path to resolve your issue. Beretta is the last place to go for anything Sako made prior to their takeover.

What Paulson said. Give us some info and we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Wait, does the M995 have the same ejection issues as the 85's? I thought the TRG's don't suffer from this issue, at least my TRG-22 doesn't.

Ugh, my ejection issue seems to be related to the soft spring of the bolt plunger, it's way softer that my TRG-22 bolt plunger, and the TRG-S is 300WM. I'm suspecting finding parts for the TRG-S bolt is almost impossible these days... or a .540 bolt for that matter?

Last edited:
The ejector spring is the same for M995, TRG, A7, S20 and Tikka T3. I think you can find some.

Ugh, my ejection issue seems to be related to the soft spring of the bolt plunger, it's way softer that my TRG-22 bolt plunger, and the TRG-S is 300WM. I'm suspecting finding parts for the TRG-S bolt is almost impossible these days... or a .540 bolt for that matter?
The bolt is the same as in a TRG-42. Still in production, but might be a bit hard to get.

You will get alot of stuff you don't need and will not fit. Out of a T3x bolt head parts kit only the ejector spring, extractor spring and extractor plunger fit the M995. After thinking about it you might experience difficulties finding the spring alone. Here in Finland we have the privilege of throwing an email at the factory and getting a bag full of springs, but you may be limited to the premade "spare part kits", which come with all kinds of extras you don't need. If you must buy the whole lot I suggest you look for a TRG or Tikka M595/695 kit.

I did a quick google search. This is more like it, but this one too has one extractor claw that you don't need/can't use. All the rest should fit: https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/products/tikka-m558-m658-m590-m690-m595-m695-spart0160

Last edited:
Back