• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Stock refinishing Sako AIII

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigcountry4me

Sako-addicted
Wanted to display a couple of before photos of a Sako AIII stock I’m in the process of refinishing. The rifle stock was a tired and dated lacquer finish with that old reddish brown stain. I’m sorry for not providing a before shot with the finish and dings showing. I got a little ahead of myself. It’s been rough sanded. It will be finish sanded down to 1200 grit, which is essentially polishing the wood. Then I will apply 20-25 coats of the Pro Custom Oil shown in the foreground. It will be a matte/oil finish when complete.

The metal is nearly perfect. The bore is equally as nice. This rifle will make someone a nice usable hunting rifle when finished. Obviously the refinishing will be fully disclosed. I will post after photos when complete. I’m sharing this to merely demonstrate what anyone can do if they find a shooter looking for new life.

Attachments

• 3C42867F-C009-451C-9790-0FD10B4F0049.jpeg
    3C42867F-C009-451C-9790-0FD10B4F0049.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 4ACD0073-9563-40BF-8396-E6F93421CB14.jpeg
    4ACD0073-9563-40BF-8396-E6F93421CB14.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 176
Nice piece of wood under that stain and lacquer. I'll be interested to see the results.
Five coats in. Starting to show the decent figure hidden under the old stuff.

Disclaimer - I fully realize some will disagree with refinishing as takes away from the originality. Trust me, I get it. I have several original rifles some perfect, some have a few dings and a few scratches. These will never be redone under any circumstances.

This rifle was and always will be a shooter, period....I will sell it very reasonably to someone who wants a Sako but can’t afford to spend what an original might cost. Ask yourself this, would you buy this rifle, or would you buy a plastic stocked “name the brand” entry level rifle?

More to come. Thanks.

Attachments

• 22EE0BEB-F6C2-4C17-8E1B-93CF88D16A97.jpeg
    22EE0BEB-F6C2-4C17-8E1B-93CF88D16A97.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 132
I'm with you. First, an A-series rifle is not especially collectible unless it is a rare caliber or configuration. Second, as much as we admire Sako's engineering, their treatment of wood has been pretty spotty. The early models were nicely finished in oil, but a lot of later models featured indifferent wood, muddy staining, and high-gloss finishes that were not up to the standard of the rest of the gun. Apart from the early guns, the only Sako rifles that consistently featured attractive, well-finished wood were the Safari, the Classic, and to some extent the Deluxe (if you like blond wood and skip-line checkering). A lot of the checkering was not the best, either, characterized by too-wide borders and an excess of finish in the grooves. So, I am very much on the side of any Sako owner who decides to improve the finish of his rifle (unless it's a rare, collectible piece like the 7x57 Mannlicher-style carbine that recently sold for over $3000 on Gunbroker). I have not personally refinished any of my Sakos except for one that already had a custom stock, but that has more to do with lack of time than anything else.

I expect this project will produce a really beautiful rifle, given the potential shown in the first photos. I'll look forward to seeing the results.

I'm with you. First, an A-series rifle is not especially collectible unless it is a rare caliber or configuration. Second, as much as we admire Sako's engineering, their treatment of wood has been pretty spotty. The early models were nicely finished in oil, but a lot of later models featured indifferent wood, muddy staining, and high-gloss finishes that were not up to the standard of the rest of the gun. Apart from the early guns, the only Sako rifles that consistently featured attractive, well-finished wood were the Safari, the Classic, and to some extent the Deluxe (if you like blond wood and skip-line checkering). A lot of the checkering was not the best, either, characterized by too-wide borders and an excess of finish in the grooves. So, I am very much on the side of any Sako owner who decides to improve the finish of his rifle (unless it's a rare, collectible piece like the 7x57 Mannlicher-style carbine that recently sold for over $3000 on Gunbroker). I have not personally refinished any of my Sakos except for one that already had a custom stock, but that has more to do with lack of time than anything else.

I expect this project will produce a really beautiful rifle, given the potential shown in the first photos. I'll look forward to seeing the results.
Thanks, I appreciate your perspective.

Finished the rifle this morning. Nice face lift on the old girl. A work colleague has already committed to purchase. We may end up with a new member soon.

Attachments

• E3B06A0E-0CE8-4805-9A6C-DA8557B40276.jpeg
    E3B06A0E-0CE8-4805-9A6C-DA8557B40276.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 6F32151C-3C33-49B3-917D-EE51372132F1.jpeg
    6F32151C-3C33-49B3-917D-EE51372132F1.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 5F12BB8C-40C1-4BDB-A3A1-400BC8309E9E.jpeg
    5F12BB8C-40C1-4BDB-A3A1-400BC8309E9E.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 119
Looks great. A definite improvement over the factory finish, and well worth the time put into it.

Let's see a photo of the other side. The original photos showed some interesting grain there.

Attachments

• 8C79A31C-4697-4860-9A4E-CFA3746ADB59.jpeg
    8C79A31C-4697-4860-9A4E-CFA3746ADB59.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 101
  • 425B903A-6565-42D8-8C96-E6C3451B6183.jpeg
    425B903A-6565-42D8-8C96-E6C3451B6183.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 92
  • B79238B2-1026-4D52-82D7-352E7AC40B8E.jpeg
    B79238B2-1026-4D52-82D7-352E7AC40B8E.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 87
Best "oil finish" product I have seen is TimberLuxe. It is used by the stock maker for Heym. He was at the Dallas Safari Club convention the past two years. It is foolproof, too.

Back