• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

M39 9.3x53R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

rugerbob

Intersting Pics
image-6.jpg

B469C264-7327-412C-AC09-11D1E30E30F4-3993-000004A3C3D59840.jpg

Bob,
A real nice early Sako large game hunting rifle, post war.
This one has the early rear sight, the later ones had a different barrel profile and normal sako rear sight.
It would also have the early type L46 grip cap.
A great example in Super shape!
Thanks for sharing
L-46

bob, the 9.3 caught my eye, as I have a 9.3x 62 I'm going to try on elk. I googled your 9.3x53r and found someintersting info on another forum-- nitroexpress.com illustrating sako ammo for this and comparing w/ a similar russian cartridge. maybe of some help?
cwmech

Wow, I own 3 M39's and have never seen a 9.3 version. Is it basically the 7.62x54 just necked up?

Bob,
These Sako hunting rifles were made from surplus military rifles directly after the war, sako rebarreled and restocked them, to make them saleable on the domestic market. This was the biggest of the cartidges with 8.2x53r, 7.62x53r and 6.3x53r also available.
This is a real nice example. These were built just before the start of the L46 rifle.
L-46

Last edited:
Dragging an old thread back to life,
I bought this rifle a few years ago, and after a long search was able to locate 4 boxes of Sako ammo for it. (Sako # 102D) I have continued searching for more ammo and have yet to locate anymore. Who knows, maybe I found the only 4 boxes in Canada. I have shot one box thru the rifle, and enjoy shooting it, and would like to use it for a hunting rifle, for no more of a reason then, just saying I did.
I have 2 questions, if someone could possible help me out. One, the rifle shoots quite high, the rear sight is adjustable range, but all ranges are high, so getting a front sight that is higher may be my only option. Does anyone know if there is a place to purchase such a thing?
Second, I have just purchased dies, so I can reload for the rifle, which will make these 80 cartridges last much longer. I cannot find load data for this cartridge anywhere. Any tips?

Time to learn finnish.
na6MyjF

A page from "the best" finnish reloading manual "Reloading brass cased centerfire cartridges" (ISBN 978-952-93-4574-8). As far as I know there's no version in english, sorry.

Attachments

• 9.3x53R Finnish.jpg
    9.3x53R Finnish.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 41
Dragging an old thread back to life,
I bought this rifle a few years ago, and after a long search was able to locate 4 boxes of Sako ammo for it. (Sako # 102D) I have continued searching for more ammo and have yet to locate anymore. Who knows, maybe I found the only 4 boxes in Canada. I have shot one box thru the rifle, and enjoy shooting it, and would like to use it for a hunting rifle, for no more of a reason then, just saying I did.
I have 2 questions, if someone could possible help me out. One, the rifle shoots quite high, the rear sight is adjustable range, but all ranges are high, so getting a front sight that is higher may be my only option. Does anyone know if there is a place to purchase such a thing?
Second, I have just purchased dies, so I can reload for the rifle, which will make these 80 cartridges last much longer. I cannot find load data for this cartridge anywhere. Any tips?

Dragging your old post,... have you had any success with your efforts?

I am just beginning to reload this cartridge, and look for an appropriat bullet.

Weights ranging from 232 grain to 320 grain,.... what to choose that it comes close to the sight?

HWL

The rifle is not in original conditions.

Ventilated recoil pad is not original, bolt handle is bent, and the handle knob is plastics.

Do I damage a collectors item by monting a scope?

HWL

Sorry, I haven't been on this site in a long time. I just answered your private message hohlweglaurer. I'll share some of the info for the others interested in this cartridge. I have never been lucky enough to find factory Sako brass, other than the 4 boxes of Sako ammo I found a few years ago. 7.62x53r Lapua brass works very well for reloading though, giving you more opportunity to shoot these old rifles.
I have been using 250 gr Matrix bullets. (made in Canada, but the company sold and I'm not sure they make these bullets anymore)
They shoot quite well out of it.
I am looking for a front sight blade for this rifle, I would also be interested in the front sight hood if anyone out there knew where I could find such a thing, and knew if I could get it to Canada.

The rifle is not in original conditions.

Ventilated recoil pad is not original, bolt handle is bent, and the handle knob is plastics.

Do I damage a collectors item by monting a scope?

HWL

I don’t think any value will be lost, or gained,
by modifying to suit your needs HWL.

I am looking for a front sight blade for this rifle, I would also be interested in the front sight hood if anyone out there knew where I could find such a thing, and knew if I could get it to Canada.

Can not imagine, that there are original spare parts anywhere.

To go to a good gunsmith seems to be the only way.

HWL

Back