• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Finnwolf Maintenance

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Cagey Bee

Having little documentation on cleaning and lubrication would appreciate advice from the community on best practices for keeping the Finnwolf action clean and oiled.

I just finished completely disassembling my Sako VL 63 Finnwolf. Having done this my recommendation would be to take it out of the stock and use a blaster type cleaner to blast the action everywhere you can get the spray to go. Use the whole can. Dry it off with a clean cotton rag. Blow action off with a can of air. Use some mineral oil ( phamacy grade). Put it in a small spray bottle with a mix of 1/4 99% alcohol and 3/4 mineral oil. Shake it well. Spray it into every nook and cranny. Leave it in your cleaning cradle for a couple days. The alcohol will dissipate and leave a nice thin layer of oil. Work the action several times with the safety on and then wipe it off well and put it back in stock. Smith& Wesson armorers have been using mineral oil inside their actions for a protection lubricant for many, many years. It flat out works and is cheap. No need to use chemicals. For those who want to disassemble the action I can tell you it is easy but very critical on re-assembly due to tight fit needed to be certain the bolt gear rails operate without binding or being loose enough to disconnect from each other.

I just finished completely disassembling my Sako VL 63 Finnwolf. Having done this my recommendation would be to take it out of the stock and use a blaster type cleaner to blast the action everywhere you can get the spray to go. Use the whole can. Dry it off with a clean cotton rag. Blow action off with a can of air. Use some mineral oil ( phamacy grade). Put it in a small spray bottle with a mix of 1/4 99% alcohol and 3/4 mineral oil. Shake it well. Spray it into every nook and cranny. Leave it in your cleaning cradle for a couple days. The alcohol will dissipate and leave a nice thin layer of oil. Work the action several times with the safety on and then wipe it off well and put it back in stock. Smith& Wesson armorers have been using mineral oil inside their actions for a protection lubricant for many, many years. It flat out works and is cheap. No need to use chemicals. For those who want to disassemble the action I can tell you it is easy but very critical on re-assembly due to tight fit needed to be certain the bolt gear rails operate without binding or being loose enough to disconnect from each other.
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Swan mineral oil is very good.
I realize the blaster is a chemical as well as the mineral oil but they have been used for many years without problems. Just keep the blaster spray away from your stock. You could use snake oil on the inside of your wood stock without doing any harm. It absorbs well and is a good wood and metal protector.

Back