• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Left handed Mannlicher??

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Soilsman

I know Sako marketed Mannlicher-stocked rifles and rifles with left handed bolts. Question? Did Sako market a left handed mannlicher-stocked rifle? If so, I would love to track one down to complement my Heym and Steyr left handed Mannlichers. Thanks!

As far as I know, Sako only made Mannlichers in the RH version.

I shoot from the left shoulder but am actually right-handed and prefer a RH bolt. I acquired a unique Mannlicher-Schoenaur a few months ago with a factory RH action and LH cheekpiece (cheekpiece on the right side of the stock).

I also have two factory Sako sporters with a RH action and LH cheekpiece. Both came from Europe as it seems that such animals were never imported to the U.S. So, it is possible that Sako did make some Mannlichers with the RH/LH combination that may be floating around Europe or some other part of the globe.

I've also seen sporters with the barrel shortened and stock reconfigured to Mannlicher style. That's something you might consider if you have a strong yearning for a LH full-stock Sako.

I shoot from the left shoulder but am actually right-handed and prefer a RH bolt. I acquired a unique Mannlicher-Schoenaur a few months ago with a factory RH action and LH cheekpiece (cheekpiece on the right side of the stock).

I also have two factory Sako sporters with a RH action and LH cheekpiece. Both came from Europe as it seems that such animals were never imported to the U.S. So, it is possible that Sako did make some Mannlichers with the RH/LH combination that may be floating around Europe or some other part of the globe.

I've also seen sporters with the barrel shortened and stock reconfigured to Mannlicher style. That's something you might consider if you have a strong yearning for a LH full-stock Sako.

Thanks for your prompt response and insight.

Sako did produce left handed Mannlichers although they are not as common as the right handed version. I passed on a left handed version about 10 years ago in 375H&H. Had I known how unique it was I would have grabbed it. I was able to get my hands on a 308 a few years ago. I believe there was one on gun broker about 3 or 4 years ago as well. That one was chambered in 9.3x62.

The left handed versions sell for a decent premium.

Sako did produce left handed Mannlichers although they are not as common as the right handed version. I passed on a left handed version about 10 years ago in 375H&H. Had I known how unique it was I would have grabbed it. I was able to get my hands on a 308 a few years ago. I believe there was one on gun broker about 3 or 4 years ago as well. That one was chambered in 9.3x62.

The left handed versions sell for a decent premium.

Thanks for the information. I have a LH Heym and Steyr, and know Merkel made one a few years back. I can now add Sako to my wish list.

Thanks for the information. I have a LH Heym and Steyr, and know Merkel made one a few years back. I can now add Sako to my wish list.

Good luck with your search! If I ever run across another I will likely buy it (assuming the price does not get too crazy). If you google "left hand sako mannlicher" you will get some hits on some that have sold in the past.

I know Sako marketed Mannlicher-stocked rifles and rifles with left handed bolts. Question? Did Sako market a left handed mannlicher-stocked rifle? If so, I would love to track one down to complement my Heym and Steyr left handed Mannlichers. Thanks!
About 10 years ago I purchased a used, unfired left hand Sako AVLH mannlicher carbine with barrel band, european sights (not Williams) no import stamp and chambered in 270 Winchester. Never have I found another. It is my guess that the southpaw version was never imported because the market was too small. The one I purchased was brought back from Europe by a private party. I bought from a ffl dealership.

About 10 years ago I purchased a used, unfired left hand Sako AVLH mannlicher carbine with barrel band, european sights (not Williams) no import stamp and chambered in 270 Winchester. Never have I found another. It is my guess that the southpaw version was never imported because the market was too small. The one I purchased was brought back from Europe by a private party. I bought from a ffl dealership.
Thanks.

I am considering selling my left hand mannlicher carbine (270). The initial difficulty has been trying to establish the value, as I have not seen others listed. I am open to a discussion on the subject.

What is the model and condition?
The receiver is marked AVLH followed with the serial number. Barrel length (measured from bolt face to muzzle is 19 1/4 inches. The stock has a reddish oil finish with Sako butt pad, left hand cheekpiece, two cross bolts, barrel band (2 piece stock), and muzzle cap. A few light handling/ safe marks are evident. The sights are European (not Williams) with hooded front sight. An import stamp is not present.
The condition is very high as this rifle was only shot recreationally at a local outdoor range. Round count is low, incorporating low velocity loadings (1800-1900 fps) primarily with Hornady SST 130 grain bullets.

Did you sell?o_O

I became member just to ask this same question. My father has been an avid collector for decades and has several right handed Sako mannlichers. Being a southpaw shooter, I would love to own one that I could add to his collection.

I became member just to ask this same question. My father has been an avid collector for decades and has several right handed Sako mannlichers. Being a southpaw shooter, I would love to own one that I could add to his collection.

Have several. There was one on Guns International in 30-06 that disappeared in a blink. Check out lefthandedgun.com too.

Back