• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Shiloh Single Shot 45-70

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I've got a shiloh 1874 #1 Deluxe Sporter. They do put out a fine product. Mine doesn't have near the sticks on it that yours does. I picked mine up an estate auction for @ 1/4 the current pricing from Shiloh at the time. I also didn't have to wait for 2.5 years. This was in 1991.

I've got a shiloh 1874 #1 Deluxe Sporter. They do put out a fine product. Mine doesn't have near the sticks on it that yours does. I picked mine up an estate auction for @ 1/4 the current pricing from Shiloh at the time. I also didn't have to wait for 2.5 years. This was in 1991.

I didn't wait 2 1/2 years, I waited 5...

Still worth the wait! Mine also is a 45-70 and I've got Montana Valley arms sights on mine-Globe 108 upfront and mid-range Vernier on the back.

It has one wild Wyoming bull buffalo to its credit. My brother-in-law used it in '96. One shot @ 110 yds. Heart shot, it walked about 20 yards in a Hemi-circle pumping blood out like a garden hose. It fell straight down into the snow. We had to wait for about 20 minutes for his buddy to wander off, he wasn't too happy with us shooting his pal. Then the work started.

Very nice rifle Kirk.

Your a man of patience to wait five years.

What the actual killing distance with that rifle?

Very nice rifle Kirk.

Your a man of patience to wait five years.

What the actual killing distance with that rifle?

Killing distance and what I will do with it is vastly different. I am heading to the range later today to adjust the sights for 100, 200 and 300 yards...

Still worth the wait! Mine also is a 45-70 and I've got Montana Valley arms sights on mine-Globe 108 upfront and mid-range Vernier on the back.

It has one wild Wyoming bull buffalo to its credit. My brother-in-law used it in '96. One shot @ 110 yds. Heart shot, it walked about 20 yards in a Hemi-circle pumping blood out like a garden hose. It fell straight down into the snow. We had to wait for about 20 minutes for his buddy to wander off, he wasn't too happy with us shooting his pal. Then the work started.

I have been fortunate enough to shoot a couple buffalo with a Sharps. Although I doubt it will happen with this one, I did use an original buffalo Sharps from 1877 to shoot one and another buffalo was with this Shiloh in 45-70..

deadbuf.jpg scan0004-3.jpg

That is one beautiful piece of feathercrotch on that stock. One of the best I've ever seen. Nice rifle all around.

A long time ago I visited Big Timber, Montana and got carried away and put a deposit on a Shiloh Sharps. Some years later, as my name neared the top of the list, I looked at my finances and realized I couldn't afford the Sharps I wanted, so I sold my place in line at a small profit. I still have a Navy Arms/Pedersoli Sharps with an octagon barrel and a very fancy set of sights. Bubble level in front and a tang sight with multiple apertures in back. It's an enjoyable shooter and quite accurate, but of course nowhere near as nice as the gun in the photos. As I recall, I got the thing in a swap for a Sako .243 that I didn't like.

Back