• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R Optilock Base Question

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bassaro

Hello all, I recently picked up an older L61R in 300 win mag. It looks to be a nice gun and I am looking forward to shooting it. I have a Zeiss HD in 3-15x50 that I plan on mounting on it. I already have a set of optilock high rings so all I will need to get is a set of bases.

Does this rifle take the long or extended base?

Did Sako change the dovetail size on the L61R at any point or time? Simply put if I get the Optilock mount for a L61R will it fit all production years?

Sako dovetails have never changed. The Optiloks are all higher than they need to be & every scope I've seen mounted in them is too high. Even the lows are ridiculously high, so you may end up wanting different height rings, as the "highs" will put your scope above any reasonable height for your eye to align with. Your scope's position on the rifle for proper eye relief will determine if you need an extension ring or base not your rifle. Sako made a lot of good things, but Optiloks are not one of them, IMHO. Good Luck!

I have the same riffle / caliber and am looking for Sako mounts but not having much luck. As an alternate do
the Leupold rings work on the Sako picatany rails?

Thanks,
Labelboy

do the Leupold rings work on the Sako picatany rails?
L61R Sakos do not have "Picatinny" rails. The Sako Tapered Dovetail is a unique mounting system for which numerous rings and mounts have been adapted. But, yes, Leupold makes a ringmount set specifically for the Sako Tapered Dovetail that mounts directly to the dovetail without the need of any kind of adapter base. I have several sets of these in use and am very happy with their performance.

Is there a specific method to mount the rings to the Tapered Dovetail?
I've seen a number of ways to properly fit the rings but they do vary widely.
What has been your experience?

Thank you.

You can position the front & rear Leupold ringmounts anywhere along the dovetails that give you any turret & bell clearance needed & proper eye relief depending on the scope you use. Snug the mounts screws up, but don't turn them with "gorilla " force. The purpose of the taper is to allow the recoil forces to keep them tight, so, in a way, they self-tighten.

L61R Sakos do not have "Picatinny" rails. The Sako Tapered Dovetail is a unique mounting system for which numerous rings and mounts have been adapted. But, yes, Leupold makes a ringmount set specifically for the Sako Tapered Dovetail that mounts directly to the dovetail without the need of any kind of adapter base. I have several sets of these in use and am very happy with their performance.

I ordered my first set of Leupold bases this week. They have the quick detach feature although I probably won’t use it. Are they all Quick Detach style now? Does it matter?

David

I ordered my first set of Leupold bases this week. They have the quick detach feature although I probably won’t use it. Are they all Quick Detach style now? Does it matter? David
No, they are not all quick detach, and yes, it matters as to which rings you must use. You've apparently ordered bases for Leupold's proprietary quick detachable rings, which are entirely different from Leupold's Sako Dovetail ringmounts. They will work, but will require the special rings from Leupold. The Leupold Sako Ringmounts are one-piece without a base and attach directly to the dovetails.

I ordered Burris #420581 and Leupold #53066.

I would not be off on these woods if the Optilocks would line up worth a darn.

David

I ordered Burris #420581 and Leupold #53066.

I would not be off on these woods if the Optilocks would line up worth a darn.

David
Why are you not just getting a pair of Leupold one piece ringmounts made specifically for the Sako dovetails in low, medium, high, or extra-high (whichever your scope requires) & clamping them directly to your dovetails. Seems to me you are going to a lot of expense & hassle with a base/ring system that is an afterthought for mounting a scope on a Sako. Not utilizing the Sako dovetail system doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own.

The Burris rings you've ordered (traditional turn-in front ring) don't fit the Leupold quick detach bases.

Yes, I'd recommend the Leupold Sako ringmount you've linked to.

So I took a closer look at the 1" ringmounts that came off of this rifle. I'm a bit disappointed I just realized they are Leupold style universal (turn-in front / windage adjust rear) bases. The Burris Signature rings are a perfect match in color, finish, and fit.

After struggling to make the expensive Optilocks work, I think this is the winner for me.

YAWR6977.JPEG

Back