• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Great News from the Founder and President !!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

L61R

SCC President
SCC Board Member
Hey Guys and Gals!

Over the last 18 months or so I´ve not been so openly active on the forum. This due to some boring health issues and a couple of not very successful surgeries. Not life threatening in any way but slightly life changing in some respects.

I had to replace some internal parts but they may not be 100 percent compatible with my persona?;)

IMG_8418.JPG

But I´m on the forum daily to do backend work and to keep track of you all.:)

And now I have great news for you all! Great Great News!

Through a collector friend and member here, I was invited to the Sako factory in Riihimaki last summer where we had a super nice time!

We were greeted by the CEO himself, Kari Karjalainen and two of his staff members and had a very good meeting where they told us a little about Sako history and Sako production today. We were then shown a lot of the current rifle production line before we were shown around in both the ammo factory and the rifle factory, still by the CEO himself.

As you can understand this was a HUGE moment for us and we savoured every hour, minute and second of it!!!

Here is a pic of yours truly to the left and Kari Karjalainen to the right. The third person is also a member here but I will let him "out" himself if he wishes to do so.

SakoFactory2017.JPG

But time goes by to fast when you are having fun so eventually we had to leave. But I left with a very positive feeling we had something going on and I have been emailing a little with both Kari Karjalainen and Claes Björksten who is the Marketing and Communications Director at Sako since then. I also met Claes in Stockholm a couple of months ago.

And last week I visited Riihimaki yet another time to meet with Claes and other Sako staff and their ad people. I will get back to you about this meeting at a later date but "times they are a-changin" to quote Robert Zimmerman.:)

Among many things we visited the new Sako museum which is under construction so to speak and man did I get to see some real rarities! A Sako shotgun, a couple of very early L46´s and many many other interesting models.

3DDF8911-05E4-484E-B056-F4B04EFEC594.jpeg 16AE198B-8BE9-4610-BB09-4EFC7E7B4BE0.jpeg CE9C52CF-1C83-4514-B0C0-1AB4ECD4DED2.jpeg 1971B83F-1A97-45A3-96FA-43FA180CB06F.jpeg 426C109A-7959-4CA3-BF2A-931567B566BB.jpeg 11F3151B-57DF-43C4-94D9-3C184203A463.jpeg

For example, if you can tell what this is you will get a Gold Star Membership!:D

1D980792-1DF2-42B8-BEC0-C23A54B5DEA4.jpeg 3B1088B3-9063-4AA0-809F-E6F6A9007ED4.jpeg A0E14619-CA4C-417F-A2A7-6E7D031262A7.jpeg 797ADEB4-9C00-4B9C-9E00-3FB5DFDD80DE.jpeg 80ED3984-4866-4073-8D96-041FE2B9A918.jpeg FD753A0F-1C1F-466E-9F47-D78787C88B24.jpeg

I´ve deliberately kept quiet about all this and it is soon time to start revealing some of the mysteries in the Sako history. You just have to butter yourselves with a little patience!

There will be many changes and new things coming up soon so stay tuned to the best Sako community anywhere!

And thanks a lot to all new and old members!! You guys are the best!

Jim

Last edited:
WOW!
The sometimes rumored never seen semiautomatic unicorn?!
So pleased you are mending too.
Your health is your wealth.

Jim, Great to hear that you are on the mend and that you have started a dialogue with Sako's current management. This can only be a good thing for SCC members and especially so if more of the factory history can be revealed.
Would be great to uncover more factory records, especially for the L61R action rifles.

The rifle pics look like a '72 era semi auto in a long action length? I assume it is a European calibre, rather than a .270Win or similar.
We'll all be keen to hear more on this rare/prototype model.

Last edited:
Ahhh! The A-73! I think about four or five were produced. Two were shipped to Garcia, as I recall, then Garcia shipped them back. This is the only record I've ever seen of a rifle coming back to the factory.

I've never heard why they were not produced -- whether it was a design/function issue or simply that they decided they wouldn't sell sufficient numbers. It could have been due to Garcia thinking the latter. I had a chance meeting with Mr. Timmerman, the retired president of Garcia Sporting Arms, a number of years ago. He told me that he was very circumspect about importing the Model 72/78 .22 LR because "Who would buy a $500 twenty-two" in his opinion. I was unaware of the A-73 at the time or I would have asked him about it.

16ae198b-8be9-4610-bb09-4efc7e7b4be0-jpeg.13842

I've always heard of the mysterious Sako O/U shotgun, but I've been told that it was made for Sako in Denmark. However, this one is clearly marked "Made In Finland"! It also sports a top-lug locking system (Greener crossbolt?) somewhat like the Japanese SKB (which is a very good design that allows a shallow receiver.) I'd love to see more of this one.

My neighbour, a keen and knowledgeable shooter, once told me that a mate of his has a Sako shotgun in his collection. I should follow it up.

16ae198b-8be9-4610-bb09-4efc7e7b4be0-jpeg.13842

I've always heard of the mysterious Sako O/U shotgun, but I've been told that it was made for Sako in Denmark. However, this one is clearly marked "Made In Finland"! It also sports a top-lug locking system (Greener crossbolt?) somewhat like the Japanese SKB (which is a very good design that allows a shallow receiver.) I'd love to see more of this one.

I have read somewhere that this was done in collaboration with another European company and if memory serves me right, it was FEG in Hungary.
Not sure if they just did the barrels but I will find out.

Jim

WOW!
The sometimes rumored never seen semiautomatic unicorn?!
So pleased you are mending too.
Your health is your wealth.

Bam! And right you are! A huge Gold Star to you!!

For all I know a few prototypes were made but I am not sure how many and why they never were put in production?

Will try to find out more!

Jim, Great to hear that you are on the mend and that you have started a dialogue with Sako's current management. This can only be a good thing for SCC members and especially so if more of the factory history can be revealed.
Would be great to uncover more factory records, especially for the L61R action rifles.

The rifle pics look like a '72 era semi auto in a long action length? I assume it is a European calibre, rather than a .270Win or similar.
We'll all be keen to hear more on this rare/prototype model.

Thanks for your kind words!

Well I don’t know much about it really but I know the owner so more info will follow.

And I’m sad to say you’re a bit wrong!;)

48378F06-4657-4773-9AFB-46A6BF04C4C4.jpeg

Jim

Thanks Jim, I very nearly said 30/06 instead of 270Win......
Anyway, seems to me that it was probably developed for the world markets like the USA etc. rather than specifically for domestic sale.
Would be interested to hear more details if/when you glean more details from the owner.

Keep up the great work L61R and the rest of the Administration Team !! News like this is just one of many reasons why I keep coming back to the SCC website and forums !!!

would love to get my greedy paws on an AL-73 semi-auto Sako ! this rifle is documented in Arma Fennica and mentions "very low construction". If there is one in the USA, that'd be news to me.

Good day everyone!
DeerGoose

Thanks for your kind words deergoose!

It’s a pleasure to be running this site!

Jim

Great stuff Jim. Really interested in the Bottom two L46’s. The bottom one has a different rear site I’ve never seen on a right hand safety rifle and the second from the bottom a different stock -maybe a 1st go at a deluxe style stock?

Anyway when will they be doing the SCC limited edition run of 7x33’s and where do I put my name down for one?:D

Hi Jim, I just got home from my annual fishing trip to a Texas/Mexico border lake in south Texas and logged on to see what I have missed for this past month. Sorry to hear about your health issues. We have missed you! Praying for you and hope all goes well. After a month of no contact with this great Forum, what do I see upon my return.... several fantastic pictures of FANTASTIC Sakos you posted. Thanks for that!!

Just logged in after several months away from this forum. Glad to hear your health is improving and congratulations on the visit to Riihimäki. I was there in 2003 and it was a great experience. I may have some info on the semiauto somewhere in my library; if I find it I will post. I believe the issue was that management did not believe the rifle could be manufactured and sold at a profit. Thinking about it, I also wonder if they might have been worried about the reliability of the gun. The Finnwolf was probably the most accurate lever action ever built, but it was notoriously fragile and hard to work on. Few gunsmiths would even attempt to take it apart. I think the semiauto might have suffered from similar issues.

Check out my new post on the "Beautiful Sakos" page. Picked up a genuine rarity.

All the best,
the icebear

Latest posts

Back