• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Assistance with another unknown Model Sako .375 H&H

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

hbpaints

New to me Sako rifle. Just curious about finding out more about it. Model ? Approx Value, etc?

Sako .375H&H Magnum on barrel, no model number.
Serial number 105958

Appears to be in good condition. But having a heck of a time finding anything on it up here...

thanks in advance...

Rob.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pics... Sorry...

That serial number would be consistent with a Sako-Mauser from the 1950's. Before Sako introduced its long action rifle (L61R) in 1961, they built rifles for long cartridges (.270, .30-06, .300 H&H, .375 H&H, and a couple of others distributed in Europe) on Mauser actions produced by FN in Belgium. If it is an early one it will have a wing safety on the bolt, if it is a later one it will have a Sako trigger with a sliding thumb safety.

That serial number would be consistent with a Sako-Mauser from the 1950's. Before Sako introduced its long action rifle (L61R) in 1961, they built rifles for long cartridges (.270, .30-06, .300 H&H, .375 H&H, and a couple of others distributed in Europe) on Mauser actions produced by FN in Belgium. If it is an early one it will have a wing safety on the bolt, if it is a later one it will have a Sako trigger with a sliding thumb safety.

Thanks for the information... It certainly has the "wing type" safety...

Being new to the sako world, is there any value to this era of rifles?
sako3.jpg

Attachments

• 20180310_203052.jpg
    20180310_203052.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 21
  • sako1.jpg
    sako1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 19
  • sako2.jpg
    sako2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 19
Being new to the sako world, is there any value to this era of rifles?
These Sako-Mausers are excellent shooters but there is no particular collector interest in them. They sell for around the same money as a similar FN Supreme or other nice rifles of the era built on the FN action.

These Sako-Mausers are excellent shooters but there is no particular collector interest in them. They sell for around the same money as a similar FN Supreme or other nice rifles of the era built on the FN action.
I have noticed that in Canada when importers have offered Sako built FN Mausers along with the nearly identical Husqvarna built FN Mausers, the Sakos are snapped up right away while the Husqvarnas take much longer to sell. So apparently there is some "collector interest" in them just because their barrels have "Sako" stamped on them.

In the past I have owned a lot of the Husqvarna built FN Mauser sporters and a few of the very similar Sakos. I think the Sakos had somewhat better wood (generally good walnut), a reinforcing bolt, better checkering and a rear sight that I preferred. And it said "Sako" on the barrel.

Last edited:
Back