• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

** WTB Rare pre-Garcia Sako rifles - TOP DOLLAR PAID !! **

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

deergoose

Sako-addicted
Hello.

Looking for rare, older pre-Garcia/pre-1972 Sako rifles. Please PM is you can help with the following Sako rifles:

1) .22-250 Mannlicher (Bofors or non-Bofors)
2) .375 H&H Deluxe (Bofors)
3) .244 Deluxe (Bofors or non-Bofors)
4) .218 Bee anything
5) .222Mag Mannlicher L461 (Bofors)
6) .308 anything L57
7) .264 Mannlicher
8) .25-06 Mannlicher

Any variant of the above configurations considered, please let me know what you have for sale. Top dollar paid !

thanks,
DeerGoose

Deergoose, I am surprised you used the identifiers, "pre-Garcia" and "pre-1972". Your probably limiting a possible purchase. Also, what is your base line for, "Top dollar paid"? Carl.

Last edited:
The thread starter asks for sellers to use PM. Please respect that!

Jim

I still need #2, #3, #4 and #7. Please PM me if you have one of these rifles for sale !! thanks.

Vigo: PM sent.

DeerGoose

Last edited:
I still need #2, #3, #4 and #7.
So, in the five years since March of 2012 you've found #1, 5, 6 & 8? In that case you're halfway there. It's usually distracting when someone dredges up one of these old, cold threads, but in this case we can enjoy your progress and success in locating four of the eight. Maybe reviving the thread will shake some more out of the woodwork. Good luck with the others, DG!

By the way, would there be such a thing as a non-Bofors .244? I would have guessed that all of them were made before the Bofors mark was dropped.

I believe 1962 was the last year the .244 was available, and was mostly only available that year as a barreled action as it was being phased out due to poor sales compared to the .243. So, no on the non-Bofors .244, although I'm pretty sure you knew this already Stonecreek. :rolleyes:

Guys, remember I've spent the last 40+ years chasing the bofors marked L461, L579 and L61 deluxes produced in the 60's, and I have very, very little knowledge of the L46's and L57's that were produced in the 50's and fazed out in the early 60's. I've heard through sako collectors and read in the old newsletters that Sako begin stamping bofors on the barrels in 1957. So my question to you guys that know this phase of sako, is could they have made the L57 early enough in 1957 to not be stamped bofors, or did they even produce any L57 in 1957....or did sako begin stamping bofors on the barrels before 1957. I bought my first L57 about 2 years ago and how I have the itch to buy a couple more and I want to buy the rare and unusual, and it sounds like a non-bofors marked L57 is what I need. Or is this like hunting for the bofors marked 25-06?

Guys, remember I've spent the last 40+ years chasing the bofors marked L461, L579 and L61 deluxes produced in the 60's, and I have very, very little knowledge of the L46's and L57's that were produced in the 50's and fazed out in the early 60's. I've heard through sako collectors and read in the old newsletters that Sako begin stamping bofors on the barrels in 1957. So my question to you guys that know this phase of sako, is could they have made the L57 early enough in 1957 to not be stamped bofors, or did they even produce any L57 in 1957....or did sako begin stamping bofors on the barrels before 1957. I bought my first L57 about 2 years ago and how I have the itch to buy a couple more and I want to buy the rare and unusual, and it sounds like a non-bofors marked L57 is what I need. Or is this like hunting for the bofors marked 25-06?

My L57's:

#800 no Bofors
#5426 no
#8028 no
#9581 Bofors
#1037 yes

Bsmith: I see you've been secretly acquiring L57's! Way to go! Very interesting that two of them are lacking the Bofors Steel mark. Thanks for informing us. Which calibers are your two non-Bofors L57's?

As opposed to what Vigo implies, I truly did not know whether there were any early medium action Sakos without the Bofors mark. Apparently, however, he thought he knew.

Thanks Bsmith. I appreciate you sharing that info with us. It seems logical that I should try to find a nice non-bofors L57. The hunt is on.

Yes, Yes, Yes !!! damn, you guys are good !! Great questions.......that's what I meant, .244 dlx non-Bofors would definitely be an L57 rifle. I have a handful of L57 rifles without the Bofors stamp, all in .243 I believe, but the L57 .308 (#6 on the list) that I found does have it.

Bofors marked .25-06 ? I'm still looking !! Yes, I know they didn't send them over until 1971, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Could be a witch hunt, but why give up? that would take all the fun away. Keep hunting D2 / All !! cheers,

DeerGoose

Bsmith: I see you've been secretly acquiring L57's! Way to go! Very interesting that two of them are lacking the Bofors Steel mark. Thanks for informing us. Which calibers are your two non-Bofors L57's?

As opposed to what Vigo implies, I truly did not know whether there were any early medium action Sakos without the Bofors mark. Apparently, however, he thought he knew.

The three rifles that are not Bofors stamped:
#800 is .243, #5426 and #8028 are both .244 (and all are Sporters)

Deergoose, I should have been more clear/specific in that I was referring to the time between L579 actions in .244 and the end of the Bofors stamp in 1968. In other words, the .244 L579 action Forester would be a Bofors marked barrel from the beginning of the L579 action until the .244 was phased out. Carl.

Hello Deergoose,
Here is the first paragraph from an article in the section "Test Reports" in the April 1972 issue of Gun's & Ammo written by Robert Hutton. The title of the article is, "SAKO's .25-06 Finnbear, a varminter that can handle medium game". First paragraph: "It was inevitable that Sako would chamber its world famous L61R Finnbear bolt action rifle for the .25-06 Remington cartridge. It is now released in America by Garcia Sporting Arms Corporation of New Jersey". Also, might I add that the .25-06 cartridge was not made available commercially until it was SAAMI certified and adopted by Remington in 1969 and chambered first only in the Remington Model 700 and 40 XB. I know you have your heart set on a Bofors .25-06, but the dates and/or facts just don't jive. All my best, Carl.

I'm still looking for the following rifles:

7) .264 Mannlicher

Please send me a PM if you can help me with my problem.
cheers,
DeerGoose

I'm still looking for the following rifles:

7) .264 Mannlicher

Please send me a PM if you can help me with my problem.
cheers,
DeerGoose

DG, I still hate myself for not purchasing a three digit .375H&H Deluxe I found maybe ten years ago.
Had a small crack in the stock but was okey otherwise. Not sure if it was Bofors marked or not but at 500USD I was an idiot not to jump on it!

Jim

I know that for at least 35 years, I've spent a lot of time, effort and resources looking for a Bofors marked 375 Deluxe and all I've seen is 1. I've seen plenty of pre72 Deluxe 375's with serial numbers in the range that indicated they were produced after 1968, and being produced after 68 they are not marked Bofors. Lots of Bofors marked standard sporters though. I would love for one of you guys lucky enough to have a 375 bofors marked deluxe, post some pictures of it please!

Hi Deergoose,

I just saw a Sako 375H&H Mag on www.gunbroker.com. The ad was from Pennsylvania and it said the gun was unfired without any scratches or marks. I could only see 3 photos and could not see it well enough to tell if it had Bofors Steel marking on the barrel. Just wanted to give up a heads up. good luck.

Cris

The .375 Deluxe currently on Gunbroker is an early Garcia. It is identical to the late ones imported by Firearms International and may even have three bolt lugs, however it will not have the Bofors mark on the barrel.

Back