• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Stock questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have a L579 chambered in .308 with a full stock . Honestly I hate the stock. Just wondering what are my options. Changing and refitting a new stock or shortening the stock and adding an ebony forend cap. It is a 1960 model, and in unfired condition but I plan on using it for bench shooting. I hate to hack a near perfect one piece Mannlicher stock.

DON'T DO IT! The .308 is one of the most prized calibers in the Mannlicher configuration, particularly one from 1960, and particularly one which appears in an "unfired condition". You can sell it, buy a real bench-type rifle, and have money left in your pocket. Nothing turns the stomach of a Sako enthusiast like talk of butchering a pristine 58 year-old rifle, especially one like yours!

DON'T DO IT! The .308 is one of the most prized calibers in the Mannlicher configuration, particularly one from 1960, and particularly one which appears in an "unfired condition". You can sell it, buy a real bench-type rifle, and have money left in your pocket. Nothing turns the stomach of a Sako enthusiast like talk of butchering a pristine 58 year-old rifle, especially one like yours!
I find that most questions I ask I already know the answers to. I hate keeping a rifle in the safe for the rest of its life though. Maybe I can just bring it along to the range when I go just for a good conversation!

I find that most questions I ask I already know the answers to. I hate keeping a rifle in the safe for the rest of its life though. Maybe I can just bring it along to the range when I go just for a good conversation!
Why do something you hate? Shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy it as it was meant to be used! What ever you do, don't butcher it up & try to make something out of it that it is not & destroy it's value. If you can't stand having it in your safe, there are plenty of alternative sites available. One would be in my gun safe & I promise I will take good care of it.

Why do something you hate? Shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy it as it was meant to be used! What ever you do, don't butcher it up & try to make something out of it that it is not & destroy it's value. If you can't stand having it in your safe, there are plenty of alternative sites available. One would be in my gun safe & I promise I will take good care of it.
I appreciate the offer, but it looks good next to my trg

Gonna load up about 20 rounds tonight with some 150 grain sierras and some fast powder and check the grouping Saturday and see what’s up

Photos are not detailed, but it looks like a one-piece original with a 23" barrel. This one is not seen very often. All the more reason to leave it unmolested.

Rare bird. That's a good one right there! Most L579 Mannlichers were carbine length, 20" bbl. Full stock with rifle length barrel....Bofors.......308Win.....GREAT SAKO to own, that's for sure !

DeerGoose

The tone of this thread makes me think we are being "trolled". I think "making everyone crazy" is exactly what he is trying to do, or he just needs his ego fed. For someone aware of "bench" shooting, bedding, & refitting/modifying stocks he asks some pretty naive questions. He has just been told that he has a rare Sako that is worth a considerable amount, yet he insists on taunting us with his plans to destroy it. One minute he says he "hates" it, then when given the opportunity to sell it he brags that it looks good next to his TRG. Why would he think it even needs bedded, as he hasn't even fired it yet. Anyone remotely familiar with shooting wouldn't even consider making a Mannlincher into a "bench" shooting gun or any L579 action for that matter. I suspect he may be playing games with us. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
The tone of this thread makes me think we are being "trolled". For someone aware of "bench" shooting, bedding, & refitting/modifying stocks you ask some pretty naive questions. You have just been told that you have a rare Sako that is worth a considerable amount, yet you insist on taunting us with your plans to destroy it. One minute you say you "hate" it, then when given the opportunity to sell it you brag that it looks good next to your TRG. Why would you think it even needs bedded, as you haven't even fired it yet. Anyone remotely familiar with shooting wouldn't even consider making a Mannlincher into a "bench" shooting gun or any L579 action for that matter. I suspect you may be playing games with us. Just sayin'.
No, not playing and understand fully the gravity of this. I will take your advice , that is the reason I posted my thoughts here. I appreciate your passion and will take great care of this gun and will do nothing to harm it in any way. Thanks again for all the advice and mostly your thoughts. It made me realize what I have and will treat it accordingly. My mother-in-law was on the board of the Weatherby foundation and traveled throughout the world big game hunting and this gun was only fired 10 times at the most per her hunting diary. She left me a few other guns that are much better. I guess hate was a strong word, just not accustomed to a full stock.
Thanks a million

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 26
I think your best option is to remove the stock and replace it with a half stock...Please send the one piece fullstock to me for analysis. I can reimburse you for the shipping cost. If I decide its factory authentic, I will let you know.

Thank you for the offer and I will take it under consideration. I think that people here thought I was some rookie posting with one hand and holding a hacksaw, file, and claw hammer in the other. I have many guns and use them all at different times on the range. I have never sold a gun and don’t intend on selling this one. I was merely trying to find out some info on a gun I was unfamiliar with. I don’t drag guns through the woods hunting, I only seek accuracy on paper. I do appreciate your understanding and again stepping on someones toes or making them crazy was never my intention. Only seeking information about this gun

Latest posts

Back