• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

THE SAKO LOVE AFFAIR: How Did Yours Begin?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

People who puts locking compound on scope mount screws have no idea what they're doing. Such people should have their thumbs Loctited to their fingers to prevent them from using screwdrivers.

People who puts locking compound on scope mount screws have no idea what they're doing. Such people should have their thumbs Loctited to their fingers to prevent them from using screwdrivers.

I have never done it, but have seen videos and heard of people doing it. I am worn out with it, though. Have scrapped a few ring sets due to the issue, not to mention a number of tools.

Mike Sako experience started in about 1990. I was in a LGS that I frequented. Was looking to buy a Rem 700 rifle as a donor or a 7oo action to build a custom rifle. The LGS owner, a friend, reached under the counter and told me to “look in this box. “ It was an in the white Sako A1 repeater action with a PPC bolt face. Someone ordered it and failed to pay for it.
I bought it and had a 22PPC sporter made. Since then I have owned about eight A1 guns and still own five of them. And I have owned and still own some 75s and a larger Sako action or two.

Something about the way the Sakos looked in the catalogs just appealed to me. I bought my first one, a Finnbear .264, in August of 1965 when I was 14 years old with my summer wages from working on the farm. At Gibson's Discount Center I paid $139 less the $20 they allowed me for the "sporterized" Lee Enfield I traded in. I ordered a 3-9X Leupold scope for it for $62.95 plus shipping. I can't tell you how many whitetails, mule deer, elk, coyotes, bobcats, hogs, and even ground squirrels and rattlesnakes I've taken with that rifle -- and I still have it with the original scope on it. That 52 year-old rifle still puts the first Nosler 140 grain Partition out of a cold barrel exactly where it is zeroed -- 2 inches high at 100 yards.

Of course, I've acquire one or two other Sakos since then:rolleyes:.
Stone,

$203 for “net trade” rifle and scope in 1965 is equivalent to:

“$203.00 in 1965 had the same buying power as $1,570.86 in 2017”. Annual inflation over this period was about 4.01%

My guess is that you wouldn’t take $1,570.86 for your .264 Win Mag Finnbear rifle? This tells me that Sako is a very good investment and one that also puts meat in the freezer along the way thus providing an “impact” return on investment that’s almost priceless in worldly terms! I’d have to say - you have made an excellent investment in your Weapon of Choice.

Good observation on the time value of money. While a couple of hundred dollars doesn't sound like much for a farm boy to spend these days, $1,500 or so sounds a lot bigger.

Some things have actually gotten a lot cheaper. That 3-9X Leupold at $63 was essentially the same scope as today's VX-I, which can be had on sale for under $200. But $63 in 1965 was worth $493 in 2017 dollars (see http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/) In other words, a high-quality Leupold costs less than half as much today as it did over 50 years ago.

When I was a kid I would pay about a dollar for a box of 50 .22 Long Rifles. Even when .22 ammo was scarce a year or two ago it never got as high as the $7.83 that a 1965 dollar was worth.

When people bring guns for me to "fix" that have had Loctite used on them, I politely hand them back & say "I'm sorry you ruined your gun". Too many nightmares to even begin telling. Can't figure out how it's use got started as there is absolutely no need for it. Even if I charged extra to work on Loctited guns it wouldn't be worth it.

When people bring guns for me to "fix" that have had Loctite used on them, I politely hand them back & say "I'm sorry you ruined your gun". Too many nightmares to even begin telling. Can't figure out how it's use got started as there is absolutely no need for it. Even if I charged extra to work on Loctited guns it wouldn't be worth it.
It could be even worse: I recall reading gun magazine articles back in the 60's in which "learned writers" would recommend putting a drop of iodine on the screws as you inserted them. This would rust them into place so that they would "never shoot loose". And to think, those idiots actually got paid to write that trash.

(Apologies for hijacking this great thread, but this subject hits a nerve!)

My addiction began a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when I first discovered Ackley 17 caliber rifles and later O'Brien rifles. This was in the 60's as I recall. Back then, I couldn't afford one (they cost a paltry $200) and availability was very scarce. As everyone knows or should know, O'Brien rifles were built using the Sako L461 receiver. After I managed to get my mitts on my very first H&R Ultra Wildcat in 17-223 the hook was set. It wasn't until years lather that I was able to acquire my first O'Brien. Over the years I have continued fueling my addiction for O'Brien, H&R and Sako rifles mostly L46 and L461 types. You can view my posts on the many Sako rifles that I have acquired over the years. As of now my bucket list is almost complete with acquisition of the 218 Bee and 22 Hornet. I'm still looking for an O'Brien Javelina to fill out the last slot on the list. If you have one to sell please email me with pics and price.

rick

Rick ~ If you don't mind my asking, how many Sakos, or Sako action based models are in your bucket?

Sight correction, I only have 40 as of now. Here is the list w/o SNS. Check out the collection. Note the rare or one of a kind rifles like the Ugalde. I put up a post on that rifle and many of the others so you can go there and have a look at the rifles and read about them.

rick

Attachments

• My Sako List.pdf
    223 KB · Views: 46
Sight correction, I only have 40 as of now. Here is the list w/o SNS. Check out the collection. Note the rare or one of a kind rifles like the Ugalde. I put up a post on that rifle and many of the others so you can go there and have a look at the rifles and read about them.

rick

Wow, Rick! That's an impressive list!

I have a question or two from looking through your list...

Not being a caliber expert by any stretch of the imagination, nor a reloader, I am curious about all the "17" rounds, like the 17-222 or -223, for example. The "Javelina?" Many of those rounds, I've never heard of, but have seen them mentioned a number of times on the forum. Without getting too off into a ballistics discussion (if that's possible, I don't know), can you give me kind of a brief rundown on those rounds?

I also have been seeing mention of the "PPC" designation. What is the significance thereof?

Thanks, amigo!

Wow great question. It would take me several days to answer. Try Googleing the 17 caliber variants that you are interested in as well as the PPCs. There are literally tons of great articles that address all of them that I know you will find very interesting and informative. Since most 17 caliber variants are derived from a parent case like the 222, 223 or 221 fireball, case forming and handloading is necessary to produce ammo for these rifles. Very few commercial 17 caliber ammo has been commercially produced examples like the 17 Rem, 17 Fireball and several of the rimfire 17s. 17 variants like the Javelina, 17-222, 17-223, 17 Mach IV, 17 Mach III etc. all have to be formed from parent cases. Saubier.com is a great source for 17 variant info as well as load and performance data. You might also want to look up Atkinson and Marquart. They pioneered the Javelina. O'Brien developed the Mach IV and Ackley (well old PO was my inspiration for 17 caliber cartridges back before God made dirt).

rick

Wow great question. It would take me several days to answer. Try Googleing the 17 caliber variants that you are interested in as well as the PPCs. There are literally tons of great articles that address all of them that I know you will find very interesting and informative. Since most 17 caliber variants are derived from a parent case like the 222, 223 or 221 fireball, case forming and handloading is necessary to produce ammo for these rifles. Very few commercial 17 caliber ammo has been commercially produced examples like the 17 Rem, 17 Fireball and several of the rimfire 17s. 17 variants like the Javelina, 17-222, 17-223, 17 Mach IV, 17 Mach III etc. all have to be formed from parent cases. Saubier.com is a great source for 17 variant info as well as load and performance data. You might also want to look up Atkinson and Marquart. They pioneered the Javelina. O'Brien developed the Mach IV and Ackley (well old PO was my inspiration for 17 caliber cartridges back before God made dirt).

rick

Thanks, Rick! Will look 'em up.

I simply got to hold one. An AV with a very bland stock. The fit was perfect. The weight made it feel genuine. The iron sights are just the way I want them...
It's in 6.5x55 and it puts five shots inside 8 cm at 300 meters (3.15" at 330 yds) with factory ammo.
Gave that one to my wife.

Then I happened to run across an AV Lux in 30-06 and a M995 in 6.5x55. Bought the AV, which I regret to this day. Should have taken them both... I have not shot it past 100 meters yet, but it groups five shots at 1". Also factory ammo.
Keeping that.

Sako bug's bitten hard...

Waiting for a M995 in 300WM. I'll see how that fares...

I simply got to hold one. An AV with a very bland stock. The fit was perfect. The weight made it feel genuine. The iron sights are just the way I want them...
It's in 6.5x55 and it puts five shots inside 8 cm at 300 meters (3.15" at 330 yds) with factory ammo.
Gave that one to my wife.

Then I happened to run across an AV Lux in 30-06 and a M995 in 6.5x55. Bought the AV, which I regret to this day. Should have taken them both... I have not shot it past 100 meters yet, but it groups five shots at 1". Also factory ammo.
Keeping that.

Sako bug's bitten hard...

Waiting for a M995 in 300WM. I'll see how that fares...

It was all going "swimmingly" until "Gave that one to my wife."

Anyway... Where were we?

Well, here in Sweden, we are only allowed to own four rifles unless we have an extraordinary need. Giving it to the wife makes it possible for me to "keep it" and still buy another.

Under the circumstances, I certainly understand. I was kidding, but now I feel kinda bad for saying that. Didn't realize that was the law over there.

Now that I'm up to speed, what you ought to do is send ME what you have and I'll keep 'em for ya! You can then snatch up some more Sakos or whatever you'd like. Just keep sending them to me and, before you know it, you'll have a nice collection in my safe! ;):D

Back