• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Calling all members about a future L46!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Which SCC L46 would you like to own??

• Sporter 7x33

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Mannlicher 7x33

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • Sporter .25-20

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mannlicher .25-20

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Sporter .218Bee

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Mannlicher .218Bee

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Sporter .22Hornet

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • Mannlicher .22Hornet

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Deluxe 7x33 or .25-20 or.218Bee or .22Hornet

Votes: 45 36.9%

• Total voters
Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Thinking about the BSA factories of the 1950,s & 60's and the quality of those superb rifles, which were built to a standard and NOT to a price. Sako rifles of the late 1940's, 50's & 60's were firearms of true style and quality. My Dad always said to
me " If It ain't broke don't fix It ". BSA & SAKO once had It right. BSA no longer exists and modern Sako styling is drab & dull.

I think when Beretta took over the reigns at Sako, the styling and classic looks went out of the window. I don't think for a moment that the Sako " Big Cheeses " would be at all interested in the re-emergence of the venerable classic L46 & L461 rifles. They are only motivated by profit and greed.

Regards Blackjack

The Sako operation is only a tiny and relatively insignificant piece of Beretta, which has become a major military arms supplier. As long as Sako can continue to produce a modest number of fairly expensive rifles at a profit, Beretta's corporate bean-counter management will keep it going. If Sako slips into a deficit situation then Beretta will send it the way of BSA. Producing a small batch of retro rifles isn't within the mental sphere of Beretta management, even though a number of companies (Uberti, Rossi, Miroku, etc.) have done so successfully with quite a few Winchester, Colt, and other models.

Sako did produce a relatively small batch of Finnbear "remakes". It was basically just model 85 action with Finnbear style stock. It didn't even have fixed magazine and the surface finish was half assed bead blasted surface just like all other 85's.
This type of "remake" is possible but there is little to no chance they would ever make batch of old model receivers. Way too much work to setup the machines for completely different receivers and bolts.

I'm in with David and Piper - .222 Rem.:) However-if a different caliber could be introduced for the L46, I'd like to see an L46 in 6.8 SPCII with a 24" barrel. :cool: A sub .30 caliber with more power and a heavier bullet. Rather than reserecting an older caliber go with a new one - suitable for most thin skin game up and including to deer and pigs.

Good Morning Sako Lovers,

My choice would be the 6, 3 X 33 R. and the .218 Bee with the L46 receiver and left hand safety. Yes! and bring back the figured Artic Birch stocks. Come on Sako {Beretta} show some BALLS and get cracking! we know you could do it. Even if they produced a run of 500 rifles to test the climate, that would be a start.

Blackjack

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Thinking about the BSA factories of the 1950,s & 60's and the quality of those superb rifles, which were built to a standard and NOT to a price. Sako rifles of the late 1940's, 50's & 60's were firearms of true style and quality. My Dad always said to
me " If It ain't broke don't fix It ". BSA & SAKO once had It right. BSA no longer exists and modern Sako styling is drab & dull.

I think when Beretta took over the reigns at Sako, the styling and classic looks went out of the window. I don't think for a moment that the Sako " Big Cheeses " would be at all interested in the re-emergence of the venerable classic L46 & L461 rifles. They are only motivated by profit and greed.

Regards Blackjack

Hello Blackjack,
I feel your pain about how some of the great rifles have come and gone. Two of the most elegant and classic rifles I have owned: One was a Whitworth Express in 7mm Mag. and the other a Whitworth Express, African in .458 Win. Mag., both Birmingham, Eng. made rifles imported to the U.S. by Interarms Corp. Beautiful, classic English safari-style stocks -w- cheek piece and ebony fore-end cap. Very smooth Mauser action. I took two Elk with the 7MM Mag. Also owned a Birmingham made Parker-Hale 1200 in .22-250, and would love to find a BSA CF-2 Stutzen in any caliber. Carl.

Good Morning Sako Lovers,

My choice would be the 6, 3 X 33 R. and the .218 Bee with the L46 receiver and left hand safety. Yes! and bring back the figured Artic Birch stocks. Come on Sako {Beretta} show some BALLS and get cracking! we know you could do it. Even if they produced a run of 500 rifles to test the climate, that would be a start.

Blackjack
Like you, BJ, I'd be most interested in one of the original carbines with the flamed Birch stock and LH safety. The classics like the 7x33, Hornet, and Bee would be great. But wouldn't some of the recent small-case calibers like the .17 Hornet, .17 and .221 Fireball, .300 Blackout, and even the 5.7 FN be cool in a retro L46! Then there's the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 Rem which would also fit in the action, as well as the PPC's and their parent, the 7.62x39. The possibilities are endless.

Sadly, from what I've seen of Beretta's marketing strategies, I very much doubt such ever coming to pass from Sako. But look at all of the numerous different manufacturers which produce high-quality reproductions of Winchesters. Just as with Winchesters, the Sako L46 patents have long-since expired, and with CNC machining a factory can clone just about anything using computer keystrokes instead of skilled human machinists. Maybe some manufacturer will wake up and realize the market for a high-quality small bolt action rifle.

Hello Blackjack,
I feel your pain about how some of the great rifles have come and gone. Two of the most elegant and classic rifles I have owned: One was a Whitworth Express in 7mm Mag. and the other a Whitworth Express, African in .458 Win. Mag., both Birmingham, Eng. made rifles imported to the U.S. by Interarms Corp. Beautiful, classic English safari-style stocks -w- cheek piece and ebony fore-end cap. Very smooth Mauser action. I took two Elk with the 7MM Mag. Also owned a Birmingham made Parker-Hale 1200 in .22-250, and would love to find a BSA CF-2 Stutzen in any caliber. Carl.
The Whitworths (earlier Zastava M-98 actions) were nice rifles and so were some of the last Parker-Hales, but the BSA CF-2 Stutzen? In the 80's I bought a new one cheap when BSA went under and did manage to shoot one deer with it before I sold it down the river, but that thing was way too heavy and bulky. It had a nice piece of walnut but was poorly finished (uneven rippled surface particularly on the buttstock) and had at least three different blue finishes on the metal. Compared to a proper light and fast pointing full-stock "Mannlicher" type rifle, like an original M-S 1903 or an early Sako Forester (both of which I have considerable experience with) it was an unwieldy log.

I would like to add a L46 or L461 as the 3rd Sako in my meager collection currently L579 .243 forester and L61R 7mm mag finnbear. If anyone has an L46 or L461 for sale please in-message me - otherwise I would purchase a L46 7x33 deluxe and would be willing to place a reserve deposit (refundable if no rifle is produced) if that would help get the ball rolling. I would kill crows form my bak porch with it and wonder if it would also take a coyote? Nonetheless, my intentions are to hunt with the rifle.
Hill country

You can purchase a deluxe 7x33 for a mere $25,500. At least that was the last asking price for the thing on gunsinternational

rick

Ricksengines,

Thats not going to work for my budget LOL thanks for the warning and the swift lesson! What L46 make/model would you recommend that is affordable and can kill varmints and predators. I like the looks of the style of the L46

Hillcountry

Back