• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Help needed: Mannlicher 30-06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hallo everyone.

Could anyone please help me with handloads for a Mannlicher 30-06 with a 20" barrel? It is a AIII/Finnbear. The Max OAL is 3.472". Does anyone have experience with such a long chamber and short barrel? Thank you and kind regards.

Ian

Of the powders suitable for the 30-06, I would stay with the ones with a faster burn rate rather the the slower burn rates in a 20" barrel. My 20" 30-06 gets 2500 fps with IMR4350 behind a 180 gr, Hornady round nose. Might get more fps with 4320 or faster powder but doubt the animal will know the difference & accuracy is very good. 4350 would be the slowest powder I would use. BTW, that 180 gr Hornady round nose is a "thumper" on about anything I have shot. You give up a little trajectory at extended ranges, but that's not what the 20" barrel Mannlicher was designed for.

You're probably limited to Somchem powders and I'm not familiar with their line-up so can't suggest anything. I agree with paulson that the "medium" burning rate powders might be more appropriate than the "slow" powders. This is not because they will give you more velocity, but because there will be less muzzle blast with the short barrel.

I'm assuming that when you say maximum OAL is 3.472" you mean that with a particular bullet it can be seated out to 3.472" before engaging the lands. (The Sako has a magazine of about 3.6", so that is not a limiting factor.) I load Nosler 180 Partitions to about 3.45" LOA for my Sako .30-06. I see no problem loading them somewhat longer than SAAMI standards as long as they don't engage the riflings.

handloads

You're probably limited to Somchem powders and I'm not familiar with their line-up so can't suggest anything. I agree with paulson that the "medium" burning rate powders might be more appropriate than the "slow" powders. This is not because they will give you more velocity, but because there will be less muzzle blast with the short barrel.

I'm assuming that when you say maximum OAL is 3.472" you mean that with a particular bullet it can be seated out to 3.472" before engaging the lands. (The Sako has a magazine of about 3.6", so that is not a limiting factor.) I load Nosler 180 Partitions to about 3.45" LOA for my Sako .30-06. I see no problem loading them somewhat longer than SAAMI standards as long as they don't engage the riflings.

Thank you for the replies, it is much appreciated. I made a mistake in my wording, the OAL I mentioned is the chamber length, so the Max OAL should be around 3.45, the same as yours.

handloads

Thank you for the replies, it is much appreciated. I made a mistake in my wording, the OAL I mentioned is the chamber length, so the Max OAL should be around 3.45, the same as yours.

It's not so much the OAL as it is where the ogive/shank junction of the bullet is. Bullets with different shapes & weights will have the ogive at different distances from the lands with the same OAL. If you stay with SAAMI OAL you will have no problems no matter what bullet you use. If you go longer than SAAMI you should determine where that bullet is in relation to the lands. Bullet seating depth can have a big impact on accuracy. I have rifle/bullet combos that shoot the best with anything from .005" to .030" off the lands. Never know till you try. Sometimes .005" difference can shrink groups in half!! Most of the time magazine length is the determining factor for max OAL.

Latest posts

Back