• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

M78 Presentation

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello,
I mainly practice precision shooting at 100 meters!
I don’t have a SAKO rifle yet.
I have plans to acquire an M78 22-calibre Hornet, and I’m looking for information on this weapon.
René

Awesome!
While I do not currently own a M78, I am familiar with the Hornet. A fun and potent little round!
Mine is an earlier L46 model…. .5 MOA @ 100 is pretty common when I do my part at the bench.

Answers to everything can be found here with some search and study time , as well as many good folks to help along the way.

Enjoy the forum and that M78!
If you choose to make it yours…

Bloo

Don't expect the M78 to shoot anywhere near as good as a L46 or L461. Any 22 Hornet built by modifying a rimfire action, like the M78, would not be a good choice for "precision shooting at 100 meters". Even a Hornet built on a centerfire action like the L46 or CZ 527 can have deficiencies regarding accuracy because of the cartridge's design. You won't see the 22 Hornet being praised for it's inherent accuracy compared to other cartridges or used in any precision shooting activities. The M78 in 22 Hornet makes a fairly good 100 to 150 meter small game/varmint rifle, but if you try to make it a target rifle you probably will be disappointed. If your interest is precision shooting, get a Sako chambered for the 222 Rem. Good luck!

Hello,
I don’t want to buy this rifle for precision. For that, I have very good weapons! It is intended for the fun and learning of my grandchildren. I’m just looking for information to enter into the Gordons Reloading Tool to develop a reload.
Barrel length and twist, as well as the diameter of the stripes
René

Hello,
I don’t want to buy this rifle for precision. For that, I have very good weapons! It is intended for the fun and learning of my grandchildren. I’m just looking for information to enter into the Gordons Reloading Tool to develop a reload.
Barrel length and twist, as well as the diameter of the stripes
René
Barrel length of the M78 is 560mm or about 22". Twist rate was 1 in 16" for the Hornet, but many of today's newer Hornets are coming with a 1 in 14" twist. Either way you can measure the twist but both will stabilize any bullet suitable for use in the Hornet, which is 35 to 45 grains. Groove diameter is .224" & land diameter is .218" making the rifling depth about .003", which is standard for any 22 centerfire barrel.

Barrel length of the M78 is 560mm or about 22". Twist rate was 1 in 16" for the Hornet, but many of today's newer Hornets are coming with a 1 in 14" twist. Either way you can measure the twist but both will stabilize any bullet suitable for use in the Hornet, which is 35 to 45 grains. Groove diameter is .224" & land diameter is .218" making the rifling depth about .003", which is standard for any 22 centerfire barrel.
Thank you very much for the information.
I’ll be able to input the data into the ballistics software.

With the hornet being my favorite caliber and having carried one as my truck gun for about 50 years I learned that the common 16” twist found in most hornets does not stabilize 40-45 gr pointed bullets very well. 14” twist is much better for a hornet. My 40 year old Kimber hornet w/14” twist has the first 3” of the barrel eroded (yes we all shoot it alot) and still shoots 45 gr Sierra spitzers lights out.

Attachments

• IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 7
Back