• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

"Pre-Sako" Beretta-Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Some years before Beretta purchased Sako, Beretta needed a centerfire action for its sporting bolt action rifles. Many will remember the Beretta "Mato", some of which were made on the M70-type Dakota action. Less well-known is the Beretta 500 series (500, 501, 502), which was made on Sako A-series actions, but actions that were made expressly for Beretta. They featured a round top (no dovetails) and were marked with the Beretta logo.

I've acquired a 500 (AI .222), 501 (AII .308), and a 502 (AV .30-06). These are the only calibers I've seen in the 500 series, although I suspect that at least .243 and .270 were offered, and maybe .300 Win. However, I was totally surprised when I came across a Beretta 502 in 7x64 Brenneke. Luckily, no one else who participated in that auction appreciated its uniqueness, so I was able to buy it worth the money. Here are some photos:

Beretta3.jpg
Beretta1 (800x414).jpg
Beretta4 (800x488).jpg
Beretta5 (800x520).jpg
Beretta2 (800x493).jpg
The barrel is clearly Italian with Italian proofs and marked "Made in Italy". I have to assume that the stock, with its European-style hogback comb and Schnable fore end, is also Italian. The open sights appear to be Williams. The top of the receiver is round and it came with Buehler bases and rings -- my first experience with these finely-made mounts.

But the best is saved for last: From the auction photos I thought it simply had a trigger shoe on it. But once I saw it in the flesh I realized that a previous owner had mounted a Canjar set trigger! WOW! Now, I find the Canjar totally inappropriate for a hunting rifle, so (if my skills permit) I'll swap it out to one of my Sako bench/varmint rifles and replace it with the factory trigger from that rifle.

What a bonus! Now I suppose I should remove the buttplate to see if someone stuffed some $100 bills in the stock hole.

You didn't mention an Import Mark. Do you suspect it was a individual bring back from Europe? It would be unusual for Beretta to import a "metric" round, I would think. Doesn't get any better than that Canjar. Absolutely wonderful find!

You didn't mention an Import Mark. Do you suspect it was a individual bring back from Europe? It would be unusual for Beretta to import a "metric" round, I would think. Doesn't get any better than that Canjar. Absolutely wonderful find!
Thanks for pointing out the question of an import mark. I just checked and my Model 501 .308 has a tiny import mark underneath the "Made In Italy" on the barrel reading "Berben Corporation, NY, NY."

However, the recently-acquired 7x64 does not have such a mark, and a close inspection didn't reveal any import mark any other place. So I'll bet your guess is right that it was imported by an individual; maybe a GI bring back. By the way, does anyone know if U.S. service personnel can still individually bring back firearms?

Just talked to a friend that just got out of the Air Force & he said GI's can still buy guns overseas & bring them back. They just have to have some BATF paper work with the gun.

About 2 1/2 years ago I came across a Beretta 500S at my lgs. This rifle had ackk md barrel markings. In addition to the sights
(the ramp front does not appear to be a williams offering) it was outfitted with quick release rings and a leupold vx 2c 4x12x40 target dot optic, all for $599. The gentleman who owned it was in a nursing facility and the family wanted funds asap. Overall it shows light wear.
I switched out the target dot scope with a leupold vx3 3.5x10x40 duplex optic. It shoots sub moa groups with 55 grain nosler bt or hornady vmav over 24 grains of benchmark. It is a enjoyable find.

This note is to update omissions from my first input regarding the Beretta 500 S rifle. My rifle is chambered in 223 Remington. The primers used are Federal small rifle match with Sako and Hornady brass. Both the 55 grain Hornady and Nosler have each yielded occasional 1/4 inch 3 shot groups at 200 meters (longest local range). Most of the credit for my groups speaks to Beretta/Sako quality, as I am a recreational paper puncher/dirt clod plinker.

Forgive my fascination with proprietary Sakos, but I can't help but notice that, while there weren't very many of the Beretta-Sakos made, they came in a variety of configurations. Here's a .30-06 currently for sale on Gunbroker which is a "502S" just like the 7x64 in this thread, but it has a straight stock with contrasting fore end, and appears to have an oil instead of glossy finish. But all of them seem to have a shorter-than-typical forearm. I kinda like that look. It also has a jeweled bolt guide, which I think is factory. Beretta also made a special run of this rifle for the organization Whitetails Unlimited. Our friend Rodger at SakoSource had a couple of these in his store a few years ago. If I can find a photo I'll post it.

pix746957085.jpg

Faith is the true path to Forgiveness”
“He who seeks the truth shall be blessed”

Actually , this thread probably has more positive and supportive comments containing the word “Beretta” than I’ve ever seen here.!

(I still know where a NAA “Grizzly” is, L461 action in .222 rem mag …:cool:)

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Faith is the true path to Forgiveness”
“He who seeks the truth shall be blessed”

Actually , this thread probably has more positive and supportive comments containing the word “Beretta” than I’ve ever seen here.!

(I still know where a NAA “Grizzly” is, L461 action in .222 rem mag …:cool:)

bloo
Stop teasing us & reveal it's location!

The other Mrs. Hippies must be jealous of that old blond?
The amount of jealousy in my safe is similar to the Miss America backstage backstabbing bitches bound for glory levels as of late. Very crowded conditions have them all rubbing elbows! Rolling their eyes at each other and trying to stand out…I love them all!:)

bloo

Latest posts

Back