• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako My first Sako - L461 in .223

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Nobody seems to have mentioned the scope mounts yet. They are Conetrol, an unusual and expensive-ish system that eliminates the ring screws, giving a streamlined look. Hopefully you got the rings with the gun, or the guy you traded with still has them. Conetrol is still in business and you can get the rings from them if the originals are not to be found. The website also has instructions for assembling and mounting the rings. Here's what the setup looks like when it's all together.
View attachment 27098
Do you have the same height rings for and aft on that setup? And what height did you choose?

well that's done it!
Having just shelled out for a Schmuck und Blunder scope I guess I'm going to have to get some of these mounts to prettify my new crush! I can hear my bank managers palpitations as I type.
heads of to google to find out how much I need to borrow...........

Brit.......

We're gonna need your rifle pics..........or it NEVER HAPPENED!!!!..:)

Well they are on the way! Fantastic response time and even a heads up to some tips on installation. If the mounts are as good as the customer service I'm in for a treat!

Well they are on the way! Fantastic response time and even a heads up to some tips on installation. If the mounts are as good as the customer service I'm in for a treat!
They are great, just fussy to install. As Stonecreek noted, the trickiest part is getting the reticle level and the two rings perfectly aligned on the bases. You might try putting some wax on the scope tube to make it a bit easier to turn when the rings are just a bit loose. Also, be sure to keep the parts of each ring segregated. Each ring is hand fitted and you don't want to mix up the parts. You might want to mark the parts in some way to be sure.

I hope the objective of your S&B scope isn't too big for the Conetrol high rings. I have a Schmidt & Bender with a 42mm objective on my Krico in Conetrols and it's fine, but I don't know what height the rings are as I installed them about 25 years ago. If your scope is a 56mm, you might have a clearance problem.

Have fun.

Last edited:
They are great, just fussy to install. As Stonecreek noted, the trickiest part is getting the reticle level and the two rings perfectly aligned on the bases. You might try putting some wax on the scope tube to make it a bit easier to turn when the rings are just a bit loose. Also, be sure to keep the parts of each ring segregated. Each ring is hand fitted and you don't want to mix up the parts. You might want to mark the parts in some way to be sure.

I hope the objective of your S&B scope isn't too big for the Conetrol high rings. I have a Schmidt & Bender with a 42mm objective on my Krico in Conetrols and it's fine, but I don't know what height the rings are as I installed them about 25 years ago. If your scope is a 56mm, you might have a clearance problem.

Have fun.
This is with the high mounts. It's a 50mm bell end ;-)
Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 22.50.32.png

Hey Stone, how about I get you a set of conetrols for your Xmas present this year:rolleyes:

D2.......

Since it's a known fact that Stone has a blind spot when it comes to certain "good stuff ".........I would take'em......and appreciate the thoughtfulness much more.
In fact, I may have a set of Leopold/Sakos to exchange.

Somebody turn on the "Blue Light" !!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Kevin, I was going to tell Stone that they would come with one caveat......he had to get them installed and sighted in by the next hunting season. I figured Stone would decline and I wouldn't have to buy them for his Xmas present.

Brit.......

We're gonna need your rifle pics..........or it NEVER HAPPENED!!!!..:)
IMG_5055.JPG

front mount fits perfectly but as pre-warned the rear needs some work. As I'm on holiday next week for a month it might be August before they are fitted. But they do look great!

A tri-corner file has the correct angle to very slightly open the dovetail grooves in the Conetrol base so that it will slip a little further onto the dovetail. However, before doing this, as Misako implies, you may just need to be a little more aggressive in seating it. I use a piece of hardwood placed against the rear of the base and rap it sharply with a rubber or plastic mallet to assure the base is seated firmly.

Range on Tuesday to test it.
How I wish I could be at the range in Switzerland to shoot next week! For several weeks I've had a recently mounted scope to zero and three new handloads to try for three different rifles. But with temperatures at 40 centigrade I don't feel like subjecting either my rifles or myself to such torture. Besides that, can you spell m-i-r-a-g-e?

I'd call that a winner. And by the way, nice job installing the Conetrols. How much of a hassle was it for you?

I'd call that a winner. And by the way, nice job installing the Conetrols. How much of a hassle was it for you?
I found it pretty easy despite my initial reluctance to bash a $1500 scope! With the rings lose in the bases I could wiggle the scope laterally to get it lined up nicely then a couple of knocks with my palm as I tightened the cone screws was all that was needed.

Filing the rear base with a tricorner file took no more than 5 minutes. Took longer to blue it afterwards :)

Back