• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako My first Sako - L461 in .223

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

refthesly

Howdy ya'll! Glad to be a new member and very excited about trading for my first Sako! I traded a Marlin 336 and some ammo for an L461 in .223. Hoping I could get some more information on the rifle if anyone has ideas (see pictures). Based on reading the forums, I think the receiver is made in Finland. The serial number dates the rifle to 1971-1972 from what I can tell. The barrel is only stamped with "Cal .223 Rem." The stock is a handsome Mannlicher style wood stock. My guess is that it's custom, but if anyone one knows better, let me know. I'm not sure about the barrel. Can't wait to hear what ya'll think.

Attachments

• 20220227_123815.jpg
    20220227_123815.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220227_123828.jpg
    20220227_123828.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220227_123845.jpg
    20220227_123845.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220227_124137.jpg
    20220227_124137.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220416_143712.jpg
    20220416_143712.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
It wouldn't happen to have some additional xxxxxx'ing down the left side of the barrel........would it??
Also.....what is the barrel length, from the bolt face?

Used to say H&R on the barrel before someone didn’t want it to say H&R any more…kinda cool tho.
Heavy on the kinda…
Should shoot nice!

refthesly. After studying the x-ing treatment on the barrel with a magnifying glass, I respectfully suggest that for your personal safety, you should have a gunsmith take a casting of the chamber to verify that it is actually a .223 Rem before firing this rifle. The reason being, that it appears to me that some other stamping has been deliberately covered up by the x stamping. Just my thoughts because re-chamber attempts sometimes go bad and the world is full of unscrupulous
individuals. Sakojim.

Kevin is on the right track. Harrington and Richardson built rifles on the Sako actions. When they closed out that line there were quite a few actions and barreled actions left in their inventory. Eventually, those were auctioned off, but not until after the H&R markings were X-ed out. Many customizers happily grabbed those fine barreled actions and stocked them with whatever suited their fancy. Yours appears to be an H&R barreled action with a custom Mannlicher stock. Enjoy!

It wouldn't happen to have some additional xxxxxx'ing down the left side of the barrel........would it??
Also.....what is the barrel length, from the bolt face?

There is no other
xxxxxx'ing on the barrel. By my measurement, the barrel is 18.5" from the bolt face.

refthesly. After studying the x-ing treatment on the barrel with a magnifying glass, I respectfully suggest that for your personal safety, you should have a gunsmith take a casting of the chamber to verify that it is actually a .223 Rem before firing this rifle. The reason being, that it appears to me that some other stamping has been deliberately covered up by the x stamping. Just my thoughts because re-chamber attempts sometimes go bad and the world is full of unscrupulous
individuals. Sakojim.

I believe that is very sage advice.

Used to say H&R on the barrel before someone didn’t want it to say H&R any more…kinda cool tho.
Heavy on the kinda…
Should shoot nice!

Kevin is on the right track. Harrington and Richardson built rifles on the Sako actions. When they closed out that line there were quite a few actions and barreled actions left in their inventory. Eventually, those were auctioned off, but not until after the H&R markings were X-ed out. Many customizers happily grabbed those fine barreled actions and stocked them with whatever suited their fancy. Yours appears to be an H&R barreled action with a custom Mannlicher stock. Enjoy!

Thanks! Ya'll have got better eyes than me and I have the rifle in hand! Now that you have pointed out the H&R, I can clearly see it.

Yes.........I thought that one of the "excess" round-top Sako/H&R barrelled actions was the basis for this custom rifle.

From your barrel measurements, 1.5 inches was removed......which explains why the two D&T holes for a front sight provision are missing.

I have three of the X'ed barrels. All of mine are H&R Ultra Wildcats.

I got lucky and found Sako stocks for all three. These X'ed Sakos are fairly rare and in high demand by collectors.

rick

These X'ed Sakos are fairly rare and in high demand by collectors.
Collectibility is in the eye of the beholder, but if there is a significant collector market for the X-ed out H&R's (some were stippled out, which leaves them a little better looking IMO), then I am ignorant of it. Certainly nothing wrong with them as shooters and they do have some curiosity appeal due to the X-ing.

By the way, although Sako made special actions specifically for Colt, H&R, and Browning, the only Sako actions which bear the name of the proprietary gun builders that I'm aware of are the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle and the Beretta 500 series.

I uncovered the barrel from the stock finally and found some more XXXXing on the left side. Ultra Wildcat is stamped on the right side. Additionally, it is stamped as imported by Garcia. Thanks again ya'll!

Nobody seems to have mentioned the scope mounts yet. They are Conetrol, an unusual and expensive-ish system that eliminates the ring screws, giving a streamlined look. Hopefully you got the rings with the gun, or the guy you traded with still has them. Conetrol is still in business and you can get the rings from them if the originals are not to be found. The website also has instructions for assembling and mounting the rings. Here's what the setup looks like when it's all together.
Audette 3.JPG

Nobody seems to have mentioned the scope mounts yet. They are Conetrol
Conetrols are beautiful -- and will drive you insane in trying to mount them. SCC member Kevin loves them and claims to have conquered the mounting challenges -- by which he means that if he gets a set for Christmas then he will have them mounted and the scope sighted in by the next hunting season.

The biggest challenge (after you get the jigsaw puzzle of the multiple ring parts put together with a scope inside of them) is to get the crosshairs plumb as the mount is tightened down. Unless you have five hands it is best to recruit two good and patient friends to help, and it is best if they both have tiny hands and have taken a sedative prior to starting. It is challenging enough with the slick finish of a gloss-finished scope, but the greater friction of a matte scope acts like Velcro and it is almost impossible to turn the scope inside of the rings since it tends to rotate as the rings are tightened around it.

Don't get me wrong: Conetrols are of exceedingly high quality and once mounted are both strong and attractive. I have one rifle with Conetrols and I'll assure you that having finally gotten that scope in the right place it will stay right where it is as long as I can draw breath!

I'm sure Kevin will find it impossible not to reply on this thread!

I don't see what all the fuss is about mounting Conetrol rings. Anybody can do it. All that is required is a basic knowledge of quantum physics and a few common hand tools, including a sonic screwdriver (obtainable from the Doctor Who accessory shop), a defibrillator, an electron microscope, and a cyclotron. Nothing to it!

Methinks Stone protests too much.........which only adds to his devotion for all things Weaver!!!

"Others" here may be suffering from the same affliction. They know who they are!

I could go into great detail.........but, putting pearls before.... ......gives me pause (among other things).

I shall remain content in knowing that most of the brethren will continue to use "The Force "............in one form, or another.

As a result, I should expect to continue stocking my stash.......via everyone else's "Blue Light" specials.

Edit: I should find a nice picture.........to complete the humiliation.

Edit 2: Here 'tis
17-222-Winslow.jpg

Last edited:
I will admit to having only one set of mounted Conetrols. But now that I'm retired it is possible that, if I have enough time remaining in my allotted years, I might be able to mount a set that came with a NIB Beretta 502 (Sako A-V round top action). Luckily, the Beretta came equipped with iron sights, so I can opt to just shoot it scopeless in order to conserve my time and sanity.

Come to think of it, maybe it would be fun to turn that project over to Kevin and put a stopwatch on him. Or more appropriately, do they make "stop calendars"?

As to Weaver Sako bases, it's too bad that they are made of aluminum and are thus too light to make good fishing weights.

well that's done it!
Having just shelled out for a Schmuck und Blunder scope I guess I'm going to have to get some of these mounts to prettify my new crush! I can hear my bank managers palpitations as I type.
heads of to google to find out how much I need to borrow...........

Latest posts

Back