Why all of this attention to sako rifles???

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Shooter75, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Shooter75

Shooter75 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Every Sako rifle I have owned or had the opportunity to shoot had a certain "MOJO" about it and I never shot one that wasn't what you'd call "above average" as far as accuracy is concerned. I also have two Valmet 412 combination guns made in Finnland and both of them are the same way. They are surperbly accurate with the rifle barrels and the shotgun barrels hold excellent patterns. So it seems the Finns know something about gun making that some other makers do not know.

So my question to you boys is simply this: What is it that makes Sako's so dang special? Why do people who know rifles love Sako's?

I bought my first Chevy pickup in 1961 and drove several different ones until the rear end fell out of one that I just bought in 1976 and only had 4800 mles on it. I have driven Toyota trucks since 1976 and have always paid a premium price for them over what I can pay for domestic made trucks. My brothers are all Chevy men as I was before driving my first Toyota. They ask me when am I going to go back to Chevy and I tell them the truth. As soon as Chevy builds a truck as good as my 5.7 liter, V-8, 381 horse power, 4-WD Toyota Tundra truck, THEN I"LL BUY A Chevy, but not until then.

I am the same way about Sako rifles. I always have to pay a premium for them, but think they are worth it. Am I right about that and if so, why am I right about it? And conversly, if I'm wrong, tell me why.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    What exactly do you want us to confirm? Toyotas are better than Chevys? Do you really need to be assured of your own choices & judgement by folks unknown to you over the internet. I don't get it. If you read your own thread, you will see that you answered your own question.

3. Shooter75

Shooter75 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    QUOTE:
    So my question to you boys is simply this: What is it that makes Sako's so dang special? Why do people who know rifles love Sako's?

What part of that don't you understand?

4. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Shooter.
    Quality, dependability, accuracy, balance, design, choice of calibers, good looks, and a hundred other reasons that you yourself could come up with.
    NOW WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?
    If you keep buying them, then you should have some reasons that we don't know about. Please share with us.
    Sakojim.

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I buy Sakos because they are the best quality rifle that you can buy for the money. They are also well designed and accurate. I also drive a Dodge Cummins that will pull any Toyota sideways and will still be doing that for at least another 20 years...

6. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So let me get this straight, You prefer a Tundra over a Chevy Silverado. In my opinion there isn't any comparison. Chevy's have been the gold standard in pickups since dirt was made. I would stack my Avalanches up against any Toyota Tundra ever built and come out ahead at the end of the day.

Now as for Sako rifles. Take a look at the production issues the US rifle manufacturers have had over the years. Next, take a Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Savage and Sako all the same caliber and bench them. Same ammo, yardage etc. Now see which one comes out on top as far as accuracy is concerned.

If that isn't enough compare the L46, L461, L57, and L579 to comparable US made actions. Put simply there just isn't any comparison. Sako comes out ahead every time.

So why do we like and collect Sako rifles? Because we can! Because we will! Because we like them and appreciate them for what they are......pure, unadulterated sex.

rick

7. Shooter75

Shooter75 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Well Rick, THAT answers my question. About rifles anyway. I've never seen or heard it stated that way before. You have to like a man that can tell you why he likes a certain thing and gives you reasons for it. We'll have to disagree about trucks. But that's okay. As long as you are happy with what you drive, I am happy with it.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It seems that we are all in agreement on Sakos but greatly in disagreement on trucks.

My theory is that trucks are living beings which behave differently for different owners. I will own and drive only brand A because brands B, C, & D all misbehave, falter, and break down when I drive them. A good friend drives only brand B because brand A has given him nothing but trouble. All of them seem to be equally good or bad depending on who it is that is driving them.

However, I have observed that the number of people for which the Chrysler-produced truck behaves well is extremely limited. I suppose that's why they used to put the warning of what drivers should do in big letters on the tailgate: DODGE

Oilfied Ed, Shooter75 and Tomball like this.
  9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Now they just say "Ram", but that would wreck my truck, too! I think you need one of those big, heavy, pipe bumpers to comply with Fiat's instructions!! How do you say "Ram" in Italian?

10. Shooter75

Shooter75 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Well stated Stonecreek and you are correct about trucks being living things. Those new Ford 250 King Ranch trucks with that big diesel engine sure look, drive, and ride good. I was SEVERLY TEMPTED to buy one the last time I bought a Tundra. But I don't pull anything and only use my trucks to haul fire wood and my 4 wheeler during hunting season, maybe pull my tractor and trailer once or twice a year over to the hunting camp and do some work there. It's no biggie, so I don't need the towing capacity that trucks with diesel engines give you. My brothers all run Chevy's with diesel engines and they run GOOD. I was surprised at how quickly the new diesels accelerate. Dodge sure makes a good looking truck too and they have BIG cabs. Never owned one though.

So I'll just stick with Toyota because I have not had any issues with any of those I've owned (SO FAR) and they do all I need a pick up to do. They also seem to hold resale/trade-in value very well too. I'll stick with the 8 Sako rifles in my gun safe because they do all I need them to do.

All the best to you boys, but from the replies of some people here on this thread, I can see this is not a forum for me. I'm 76, retired, and happy, so I don't need the "edgyness" that some around here seem to have. Life is too short for it. So I'm going to mosey on down to my reloading room and load some 7mm-08's this morning and then go to the shoting range and try'em out. I don't do "edgy" stuff anymore.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 5:30 PM
  11. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I should leave a sleeping dog lie but I won’t. The “edginess” came from you and was responded to. It didn’t fit your expectations and you are retiring to your reloading room and hopefully you can find some solitude there. I know a lot of people 76 and older that aren’t so sensitive and they get by real well. Good luck outside the Sako forum.

12. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Apparently some people can't take a joke! Too bad as we tend to try to add levity to most of our threads and add in super information about Sako rifles.

13. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Some poor pictures but this will show a little about what I love about Sako rifles. Good meat providers and good looking besides all of the other good things about them that I love. Sakojim.

Attached Files:

Kingsmen and Oilfied Ed like this.
  14. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    OH Yea Baby. That's what I'm talking about.

rick