• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What do you think of using 168 grain ttsx in an L579 .308?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I'm waiting for a new-to-me Sako L579 Forester to arrive. Hopefully it will be used to push the boundaries of the capability of the .308 W cartridge in south africa next year. I've been thinking of loading up the ttsx 168 grain bullet. Do you have any experience with this bullet in an old sako? I was told by the precious owner that the rifle does not like heavy bullets. 168 gr is not heavy but supposedly the low density copper bullets behave like heavier bullets when it comes to barrel twist etc.

My standard bullet is the 168 gr hornady btsp, but for larger african game I'd like the penetration of the ttsx bullets. The 150 gr bullet is an option but I'd rather go with the heavier one. The previous owner gave me a couple of his favorite loads and it seems as if the forester likes a long cartridge overall length.

So, does anyone here have experience with this bullet? Do you think it's a good idea?

There WILL be pics of the new rifle, but so far I only have the optilock rings.

Hi Technologist
Just to share my South African experience with you.
I use a local brand namely PMP 168gr bullet for all hunting, google for more info.
You could safely hunt anything from springbuck to kudu with the abovementioned.
My L579 308 with 1 in 12 twist achieves 1 inch grouping at 100 meters wich i find acceptable.
For longer shots ie on springbuck at 250-300m the bullet performs well and even allows for the odd headshot up to 100 -150m.
In the bushveld region 100m shots are more common and allows for more stopping power with minimal meat damage.
I suppose it all depends on where and what you would be hunting.
If i may make a suggestion, get to SA first buy the ammo and sight your rifle on the actual farm where hunting will be done.
Consult your outfitter to determine the average distances you would hunt at and sight for that.
regards
Boetie

Welcome, Tech! And congratulations on your upcoming African hunt. There is nothing else quite like African hunting.

I'll admit to prejudice on the subject, but the only time I ever recommend monometal bullets is when you are hunting in a jurisdiction like areas of California which do not allow lead. A conventional lead core bullet is much more dependable and will provide ample performance in your .308. Your "regular" bullet, the 168 grain Hornady, would probably do just fine, but if you want to bolster your confidence I'd recommend using a 165 grain Nosler Partition (or 165 grain Accubond if your rifle prefers it). I know of one S. African guide who uses only the 165 Partition in a .308 for himself and the clients he furnishes rifles to.

Can't go wrong with the Barnes. I shoot the 150 TSX or TTSX and love both. Their result on game animals is impressive. Not the most accurate bullets I have ever tried, but certainly some of the most effective for hunting. I use them in .224 (70 grain), .244 (85 grain), .257 100 and 115 grain) as well.

Back