what caliber?

Discussion in 'Pre-WW2 Sako military rifles and variations' started by ben buckshot, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    my m28 with sako barrel was not rechambered "D" to the soviet standard and I can not find info on what caliber it is .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Ben - you may have to do a casting of the chamber to be sure - see this video

Good
    luck

3. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    much appreciated .

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You may want to look at the 7.62x53R Finnish military round to see if that is what your rifle is chambered for. Slightly different bullet diameter (.309") & case dimensions than the Russian 7.62x54R, but interchangeable. Info on it is online & covers the differences & interchangeability. Chamber cast & slugging barrel would confirm.

5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just wanted to respond to your posts about the M28 with the first Sako barrel ever made!! I think the reason you haven't received any responses is that your claim is a little puzzling. At least I was a little baffled by it. Sako is an acronym for the Finnish words that stand for Civil Guard Gun & Machining Works Ltd. So any Finnish built military rifle from 1921 on would more than likely have a "Sako" barrel & I'm not quite sure how you have determined that your M28 has the first Sako barrel ever made. Sako started building sporting rifles on a commercial basis in 1946. More info on your rifle would be interesting.

6. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    thanks , I will look into that caliber . I knew it was very close to the soviet round but I have not slugged or cast yet . where might I find " info online " .

7. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    before sako made complete firearms they made only barrels for the finnish armory . the m28 was produced for two years ( '27/'28 ) and about 30,2?? were made . the last 1000-1200 m28's got the first sako barrels . the first and only thing sako made at the time . all information can be found at ( 7.62x54r.net ) and ( Russian-mosin-nagant.net ) they consider it a 10 rarity on a 1-10 scale .

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I've read where SIG (German), Tikka, & VGT also provided barrels for Mosin-Nagants. Do you know how the Sako barrels fit in order of appearance or were they commingled? Are these just the Finnish made ones or Russian as well?

9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just Google 7.62x53R. Wikipedia & other sites will pop up.

10. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    the overwhelming majority of the m28's did indeed have tikka and sig barrels . they decided to start producing their own barrels and started the sako factory to make them . the first barrels came off the line and into the armory at the end of the m28 run . the civil guard decided that the 28 needed a few minor upgrades and it became the 28/30 . all 28/30's got the sako barrels and sako later started making full rifles .

11. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    thanks , will try that .

12. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    i believe you meant vkt instead of vgt

13. fw71

fw71 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    VKT= Valtion KivääriTehdas=State Rifle Factory. 24.9.1928-1.5.1946. After that VMT to 1951. Valmet 1.1.1951-15.7.1993

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    deersako likes this.