1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

what caliber?

Discussion in 'Pre-WW2 Sako military rifles and variations' started by ben buckshot, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    my m28 with sako barrel was not rechambered "D" to the soviet standard and I can not find info on what caliber it is .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Ben - you may have to do a casting of the chamber to be sure - see this video

Good
    luck

3. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    much appreciated .

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You may want to look at the 7.62x53R Finnish military round to see if that is what your rifle is chambered for. Slightly different bullet diameter (.309") & case dimensions than the Russian 7.62x54R, but interchangeable. Info on it is online & covers the differences & interchangeability. Chamber cast & slugging barrel would confirm.

5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just wanted to respond to your posts about the M28 with the first Sako barrel ever made!! I think the reason you haven't received any responses is that your claim is a little puzzling. At least I was a little baffled by it. Sako is an acronym for the Finnish words that stand for Civil Guard Gun & Machining Works Ltd. So any Finnish built military rifle from 1921 on would more than likely have a "Sako" barrel & I'm not quite sure how you have determined that your M28 has the first Sako barrel ever made. Sako started building sporting rifles on a commercial basis in 1946. More info on your rifle would be interesting.

6. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    thanks , I will look into that caliber . I knew it was very close to the soviet round but I have not slugged or cast yet . where might I find " info online " .

7. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    before sako made complete firearms they made only barrels for the finnish armory . the m28 was produced for two years ( '27/'28 ) and about 30,2?? were made . the last 1000-1200 m28's got the first sako barrels . the first and only thing sako made at the time . all information can be found at ( 7.62x54r.net ) and ( Russian-mosin-nagant.net ) they consider it a 10 rarity on a 1-10 scale .

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I've read where SIG (German), Tikka, & VGT also provided barrels for Mosin-Nagants. Do you know how the Sako barrels fit in order of appearance or were they commingled? Are these just the Finnish made ones or Russian as well?

9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just Google 7.62x53R. Wikipedia & other sites will pop up.

10. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    the overwhelming majority of the m28's did indeed have tikka and sig barrels . they decided to start producing their own barrels and started the sako factory to make them . the first barrels came off the line and into the armory at the end of the m28 run . the civil guard decided that the 28 needed a few minor upgrades and it became the 28/30 . all 28/30's got the sako barrels and sako later started making full rifles .

11. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    thanks , will try that .

12. ben buckshot

ben buckshot Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    i believe you meant vkt instead of vgt

13. fw71

fw71 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    VKT= Valtion KivääriTehdas=State Rifle Factory. 24.9.1928-1.5.1946. After that VMT to 1951. Valmet 1.1.1951-15.7.1993

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    deersako likes this.