• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What About Bofors Barrels?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I agree here as well pk....but I'm leaning towards the Garcia! The heavier barrel I think makes a difference, but that could be simply because its mass makes it steadier in my hands. both my Foresters shoot under an inch @ 100yrds, but I have less flyers with the heavier rifle. Stupid Flyers!

Sala-Ampuja, Misako etc.
Hi guys and Happy New Year from Malawi!
Since the subject of Bofors seems to be so interesting for you, why don't you (Misasko?) contact
Pentti Louhisola at Sako (good pal with Mims Reed and J. Lutes) and get the right answers.
Pentti knows more abt Sako than most. - You don't want to continue for ever with the Bofors stuff discussion.....or?:wink2:

All the best,
SS

ss,
I email Pentti about every other month. I have to say that this subject has never come up. I have requests from some members to ask other question, but I am reluctant to look like I am just writing to ask questions all the time. He is the Senior Product Adviser for Operations at the factory. We last spoke in early December and he will be here in the US a good part of this month for activities surrounding the SHOT Show in Las Vegas. For those of you billionaires here on the forum, Sako is going to auction off (at SCI in Reno) some Sako LX Safari Special Edition 90th Anniversary rifle with special engravings in .450 Rigby Rimless. I already have on order when the watered down version hits the street, and am wondering where I'm going to get the money for that. If any one wants to get one and I am stretched too far, just let me know. I may give a club member here a shot at it if it's not doable for me. They are also introducing their new actions and some new stuff for the Model 85 (I don't know what this means, but suspect more attention to the short magnums). Of course they will have a booth, too.
When I write to Pentti I don't present him with a list of things to talk about. However, I try to slip one or two in there when I see the opportunity. I am glad he reponds to me at all. Sometimes it takes a while because he is very hands on at the factory in all facets of the operation.
I have another friend I know had worked in a good position at Sako who I haven't talked to in a while and was around back in those days. I'm going to try to write him this week about that mysterious little pin on the left side of some bolts after '72, and I guess I could also drop this Bofors issue, which really is not as important to me as a performance problem as much as for what we have come to covet as the famous "Bofors Steel" stamp on the barrel. I will email him during the week.
So, Is the question ; "How long did Sako use Bofors barrels after Sako had to quit stamping them"?
I know what to ask about the bolt pin. No promises on how long it will take.
Have a good New Year.
S-A

Thanks S-A,

I heared that as well abt the special Safaris in .450 Rigby rimless. To me it sounds strange.
I do not understand why they don't make them in .458Lott, .416 Remington/Rigby, .500 Jeffr or any caliber common in Africa. .450 Rigby rimless is relatively recently introduced by Paul Roberts just before he sold the company and maybe you find 1 or 2 ? on the African continent. Anyway, it's a good caliber but a golden rule for Africa is to shoot a caliber where you can find ammo in the bush in case your ammo was left behind.
Abt Bofors: I have a Sako 8x57JS with the Belgian Mauser action and Bofors stamped on the barrel with serial nr 113xxx. Any idea when this was manufactured? It has micro rifling. Was that kind of rifling normal for Bofors stamped barrels or is it just a coincident?

All the best,
SS

SS,
Happy New Year to you! May you prosper and be healthy. Pentti did also tell me the production Safari LX will come in a larger caliber, perhaps the .500 Jeffrey. Can't remember at the moment but am quite sure about the .500.

As far as the Mauser action and the Bofors, that is something I know nothing about. Maybe L61R can dig back to that one. The rifling has been discussed here recently and it was said that it was a special 12 groove cut (I think) that SAKO did and not to be confused with the Marlin "Micro-Grove" barrel.
Take care,
S-A

Thanks, S-A,

Likewise!

Enjoy the SHOT Show and say hi to Pentti. - Tell him that itxB4s a pity the new owners don't seem to

understand the importance of advertising/marketing Sako rifles in US hunting magazines the way it was done in the "old days". Eventually it will hit back....

All the best,

SS

Back