• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Variations in peep sights, sight hoods and front ramps.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

emmerth:
If you have anything with a peep sight the fiber optic front bead is so much better that you will throw away all those dark worthless front blades in a heartbeat once you try them. After all it's about shooting & hitting what you are aiming at isn't it? Why should we be saddle with 19th century technology just for the sake of keeping something "original" when our fore fathers would have jump on it in a second if it could have help them shoot better? After all they needed the food!

Hey there paulson that's great.
Thought maybe you were referring to PJ's post today, not the first one that has been here on the forum since Sept. of last year. Daaaa! to you as well, whatever that means.

Guys!
Thought I´d post a few pics of some sight ramps I have. The one with hood comes from a butchered L579, or so I was told! And NO, I didn´t do the "Dirty Work" on that rifle!:wink2: It came along with a tangent rear sight so I believe it to be original!
But what about the others? I got these in various trades and they have all been represented as Sako but I am not at all sure this true!
What say you all??
Jim

Attachments

• CIMG0226.JPG
    CIMG0226.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG0227.JPG
    CIMG0227.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 164
L61R: The middle ramp is very similar to the ramp on my M78 Hornet. The difference is that mine is diamond checkered over the entire top surface and the screw hole is about a half inch (1.25 cm) from the rear of the ramp. The shape of the ramp & front sight insert are very similar. Yours could be off one of the Sako rimfire models.
The ramp on the left looks just like the one on my L46 Heavy or Varmint barrel. See pics on my post under L46 Barrel.

Any idea when or why the changes came about? Was the height change due to bead height from centerline of bore?

this site hood is from my L46 7x33 ser no 2990 the rifle is near unfired.

has anybody seen this hood before ?

Susanna: Thanks for posting the photos! That sight hood is unique in my experience. From the little I can see of your 7x33 it looks to be in pristine condition. It would be great if you could post more photos of it.

That hole in the front bridge keeps popping up on these early ones.
There's got to be something in it, I don't mean metal !

stonecreek . thanks, its a really neat little rifle. will try & post a few more photos.

have not fired it even though i have plenty of factory ammo, cases 2 die sets & now 500 correct ( .286 dia X 78 grn ) projectiles.

also a 25-20w in the safe but not as good as this one.

deersako. the hole ? have also seen a few with this little hole, its very well done, has to be to do with mounts , has nobody come foreward with a sample so we can all rest .

i see you are from nsw. me from s/w syd.

20w in the safe but not as good as this one. </p> -susanna said:
stonecreek . thanks, its a really neat little rifle. will try & post a few more photos.
have not fired it even though i have plenty of factory ammo, cases 2 die sets & now 500 correct ( .286 dia X 78 grn ) projectiles.
also a 25
You really know how to fan the flames of jealousy, don't you? I have a " fair" amount of ammunition for my 7x33, but I've yet to come by any appropriate bullets. And despite keeping my eyes pealed and checkbook ready for the last 30 years, I'm yet to come across an available .25-20.
For whatever reason, it seems that many more of the 7x33's and .25-20's were exported to Australia than to the U.S. In fact, I'm not certain that either were ever imported to the U.S. by a distributor, but rather the limited number that are floating around here came in via individuals.

Great thread here, guys. For what it's worth, it is my understanding that the 7x33 was never imported to the USA, but that a few came in via the Canadian border (uncertain if this was by distribution or private transport).

Not sure about the .25-20.

DeerGoose

stonecreek

there was recently a guy here in aust with some new single flash hole brass for sale,like 400! he may still have some though im not sure it could be sent to the usa ??& no i didnt buy any, he was asking around $2ad ea. ouch

the projectiles i have where made by a good friend who makes his own dies ect.they are perfect, will post a photo now that im getting the hang of this site.

i could get more but again mailing them to the usa ??

Looking forward to some more pic's of your 7x33 susanna, left wing or right hand safety ?
No matter what they say, they are still rare on this side of the pond !
I'm in the Batemans Bay area, in early August we'll be having a get together at the Deep Creek rifle range.
Owning a Sako is as condition of entry, don't know what sort of numbers we'll get but if your in the area.....
http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=93529.0;all

Susanna: I have an adequate supply of 7x33 brass, but could really use some bullets. I've been intending, for better than three years now, to find a consistent way to trim the nose off of a Hornady 100 grain HP, leaving a flat-nose bullet of about 85-90 grains. Such a bullet should do fine in the 7x33. However, I just haven't yet come up with the right methodology of easily and consistently machining the nose off of the bullets.

deersako.

l/h wing safety, you spot on about rare, trouble is a lot of aussie are now awake the the collector valua of these rifles.

i like the idea of a sako entry, would be interesting. didnt relise there where that many like minded people down there.thanks for the invite , date ???

im in glenfield /ingleburn area.

Latest posts

Back