1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Type of birch used in early sako stocks

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by topgear, Jun 15, 2015.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Pics of birch in front of a kiln would be awesome!!! Kiln drying gunstock blanks is not done with the thick walnut blanks as they will crack & check, at least in a conventional kiln. They all are air dried for many years depending on the climate. I wonder if birch has characteristics that allow kiln drying of thick slabs or the kiln process they use is different? Could this be the high temp kiln drying I've heard about & possibly be the "flame hardening" I've heard mentioned? Blackjack, I wonder if your sister-in-law could get any info from the mill near her where she bought the blanks? Can't wait to see pics of them!!

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    +1 here, TopGear. Outstanding topic here guys, the reason why this forum is so good and why I keep coming back !

thanks,
    DeerGoose

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If you haven't gone to the website from which the photos came that Topgear posted you simply must do so! Type "Sako" in the search box and you'll get several dozen of this series, all apparently taken on the same day in 1941. While the vast majority of the people pictured in the photos are long dead and gone, some of the women (who were mostly working in ammunition manufacturing) were only in their teens or twenties at the time and there are probably a few of them still living. That's a bit mind-boggling to think of. Don't you wish we could find some of them to hear their memories of that time?

4. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    What a great thread Guys,
    TG your ability to find photos and info is unreal!
    Can i add some thoughts on the colours and dark bands that appear on some stocks.
    A few more thought on the some comments above about the colour bands.
    Could it be attributed to which season the tree was harvested in, late or early in season, and also the process of drying that was used. The growth season would be very short for these trees so alot has to happen quickly. As the lumber is dried the moisture would be drawn out, leaving perhaps a sap residue or Tannin staining.
    I bet we have all been guilty of sawing some lumber and leaving the saw dust on the concrete drive over night, only to see staining the next day when we sweep up.
    Thanks to all that have contributed, fantastic topic!

L-46

5. fw71

fw71 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    deersako likes this.
  6. fw71

fw71 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Birch stocks[​IMG]

deersako likes this.
  7. Woodsman

Woodsman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Those are some lovely stocks. I really have an appreciation for birch, especially the figured pieces.

8. fw71

fw71 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Visa Birch
    [​IMG]

9. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello FW 71, What a beautiful Birch stock & Forend. What gun are they from? Talking about Beech - B.S.A. & Webley & Scott used Beech to stock many of their air - rifles from the 1950's & 60's. We must get to the bottom of this flame scorching Birch stocks! As I said some time ago, the selebrated American Hal Hartley who stocked manley in Maple often used the flame scorching method on his stocks. In his very detailed book from the 1950's he describes how he does the flame - scorching process. I would imagine that the same process can be carried out on Birch stocks!

Blackjack

10. fw71

fw71 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    They are made for Valmet double rifle 412s caliber 7x65R. My late friend made them for me as a gift fifteen years ago. Here is information about birch: http://www.curlybirch.com/home/