1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Talley mounting question.

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Jon2, Apr 3, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Jon2

Jon2 Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Dear all

I'm looking for some help regarding Talley mounting options please. Can anyone please explain to me how the bases mount to the dove tails of a Sako action? Also does anyone have any experience of the extended base option (on the Talley website it states that the front base is extended) in terms of how far it extends back at all?

Even better would be any photos of anyone using the extended base option on a long action if possible?

I am trying to mount my Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 (30mm tube) on my AV and this model has relatively little main tube and so limits the mounting options somewhat.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Jon. I'm sure this reply is far too late and suspect you've already obtained the answers to your questions (which I just ran across). However, and in case others may have the same questions, with respect to how the Talley bases attach to the Sako receiver, it appears from pictures that the bases slide onto the dovetail and then each base is secured by two screws torqued down vertically onto the flat top of the receiver (the holes in the bases are threaded), pulling the base into tight contact with the receiver dovetail. This will produce marring of the flat top of the receiver. Although I'm a big fan of Talley mounts and have used them on other rifles, this base attachment system for Sako rifles strikes me as sub-optimal, at least with respect to aesthetics. The method Leupold uses, for their Quick Release mounts, with their bases for Sako receivers is superior in my opinion, with the bases attached laterally into the dovetails in the same manner as with Sako mounts.

Talley bases for Sako:
    [​IMG]

Leupold QR bases for Sako:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. Jon2

Jon2 Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    Thank you South Pender. Very helpful reply.

In the end I ended up going Optilok and from understanding how the Talley's work, courtesy of your reply, I am glad I did.

Thanks again for the information.

4. tooter

tooter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Admittedly, I'm a newcomer to this site and a latecomer reading this post, but I feel it's worthwhile to share the Talley scope base mounting method I implement on all my L461s and A1s.

I do this to facilitate switching scopes mounted in Talley rings while having the ability to click -in predetermined zero reference coordinates from one rifle to another. I as well, am particularly cautious to avoid defacing or otherwise molesting the receiver dovetail surfaces.

1st - I discard the Talley steel setscrews and replace them with shorter 1/8 in. long "brass, cup-point" setscrews.
    2nd - tap both mounts onto the dovetails gently with a wood mallet.
    3rd - drop one #6 lead shot (stripped from shotgun shell) into each mounting hole.
    Then install and tighten the brass setscrews till the lead shot flows to fill each hole. Everything is in place when the screw head is just slightly under flush with the base top surface.

I've yet to mark or upset a precious Sako's blued receiver crosshatch surface or had any sign of a scope becoming loose or changing impact zero. May be a lot of effort for most folks, but it works for me and saves space in my gunsafe! For the same purpose, I also have Talley rings and bases on all my Cooper rifles as well.

Thanks ---- Tooter

5. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Excellent advice, Tooter, for anyone wanting to use Talley mounts on a Sako. The effort is worth it, in my opinion, to prevent any marring of the Sako receiver. I too use Talley mounts partly for their aesthetic appeal--on one Cooper and several Anschutzes.