1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Stock for an L46 .222, availability?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Big Racks, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Big Racks

Big Racks Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Great site you all have here. I've browsed several times but first time posting.

I just recently acquired an L46 Riihimaki .222 that I'm thinking of "touching up". It's actually my second L46 .222, having sold the first quite a few years ago. Been kicking myself ever since, and still am as the first one was a beauty. This one, while still the classic action, is a bit of a disappointment. Its been rebarreled at some point, light contour with no markings that I can find. Plastic butt pad is cracked. Stock has 2 hairline cracks running with the grain off the receiver, just behind the rear action screw. Cracks are very slight, actually just look like wood grain until examined more closely. I'm thinking it's shootable as is, but at some point may want to restock it. Would prefer to keep a classic intact, but with the barrel I think that ship has sailed. Am tempted to go custom on it, quality aftermarket stock and another barrel, so I at least know what's been done to it and what parts are bolted on. The lack of any kind of barrel stamp on the existing one is odd, and I'm not really a fan of "odd" on my firearms.

Are there aftermarket stocks readily available for the L46? I see on the McMillan site that they don't offer one, and I don't see any factory stocks for sale so guessing they're about as common as hen's teeth to find.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The bad news is no one I'm aware of offers an aftermarket stock for the L46. The good news is you have a stock that you can send to a stock maker with a duplicating machine & have one made that is an exact copy. You can also modify your stock to suit you prior to duplication by removing wood or changing it's shape with auto body putty. Costs would depend on how fancy a blank you pick. Minimum will probably be in the $750-$850 range for a complete stock finished, checkered & fitted. Your other option is to search for a used factory stock & hope you get lucky. Repair of what you have is possible also. Good Luck!

3. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Big Racks
    I have good new . . . L46 factory stocks will come up from time to time on Ebay just keep watching. Also check guns international, or gunbroker.
    And if you put up a reward for one here on the site, some one will come up with one.
    If you were in the states . . . I could help you acquire one.

And the recoil of 222 is so light I would not worry about the hairline cracks.

4. ditchdogger

ditchdogger Active Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Big racks , if you are interested in selling that cracked stock , I have been thinking about doing a mold for an l46 , if it is the old classic style. I am also in Edmonton . WildcatComposites .